The News About Edgar

sorcerer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: The News About Edgar

Post by sorcerer »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
TheXFactor wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:Is Turn of the Tides 'better' than Zeit ?
No. It is not. :twisted:
:D

But interesting to see how often it has been mentioned on here in recent times. Very important album for me TotT as it kept me in touch with TD in my distracted years.

As for ZEIT 8) 8) 8) 8)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

It's the end of an era ... the fame and the style, will likely fade away ... it is one of the most loyal and grand of folks and appreciation for this music, but because Edgar owned all of it, the commercial sides, will never come to grips with the strength it takes to create the art that TD/Edgar did. This guy is a Michelangelo in music. He is a Da Vinci with his synthesizer work ... and I can only hope that the medium does not die because this is the classical music of the future that academics and universities are not exactly studying and appreciating!

In the end, the GODS are remembered ...
Mars

Post by Mars »

[quote="sorcerer"][quote="T4N63R1N3 DR34M"][quote="TheXFactor"][quote="T4N63R1N3 DR34M"]Is Turn of the Tides 'better' than Zeit ?[/quote]

No. It is not. :twisted:[/quote]

:D[/quote]

But interesting to see how often it has been mentioned on here in recent times. Very important album for me TotT as it kept me in touch with TD in my distracted years.

As for ZEIT 8) 8) 8) 8)[/quote]

Turn Of The Tides is not better than Zeit. And Zeit is not better than Turn of The Tides.
Because you cannot compare these two albums and decades at all.
Its like comparing two ex-girlfriends with each other.
:-) but both albums are fantastic in their own way!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Exactly my point.

Neither is better than the other, people just have their own preference.....
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

Most people will say a steak is better than a hamburger, but I like both. I wouldn't want to have a steak every single day, nor would I want a hamburger that often either.

TD's music is like that. It all depends on what you want/need at the time and these wants/needs can change.

There is no "good" or "bad" or "this is better than that". It's all subjective.

One thing we can agree on; we all LOVE Tangerine Dream as a complete creative force.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

In case anyone is interested, the Dutch electronic music radio/webcast program Radio Happy is going to repeat its Tribute to Edgar Froese special in a few minutes, at 8PM CET.

http://radiohappy.eu/
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I remember the first time I heard these things ... and I was scared. My old friend and roomate, sprang on me 3 albums that were all magnificent, but required some serious ear tuning, before I woke up to what was going on.

He played one piece on the first album called "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares". It scared me, and you are talking about someone that had heard a lot of classical music, and in general appreciated a lot of different things, but this one was way out there and too far out. I had not, as yet, heard a lot of "electronic" anything, and I thought that Walter Carlos was a joke, and not serious. But this one, was out there! The next two albums were Nektar's A Tab in the Ocean, and then a Genesis album that had just come out as an import, Selling England by the Pound.

Needless to say, it was a new dawn! For me ... not to mention the actual music!

The next time we went after some imports, I got that album (Phaedra), and have never looked back, and today, 43 years later, it's like 25 TD cd's and 6 or 7 Edgar cd's and 3 or 4 Chris Franke cd's. And of course, some 50 Klaus Schulze cd's! And some 30 Vangelis cd's ... you get the idea the kind of stuff I love to listen to.

Unlike most folks at ProgArchives and most other places out there, I have never really thought of this music as "progressive", because for me, this was the CLASSICAL MUSIC of my time and generation, and this is how I treated The Who's Tommy, Yes' Tales from Topographicc oceans, Jethro Tull's Passion Play and Thick as a Brick, and many other pieces out there, that to this day, are heaven to my ears! None of these had a libretto that was better or worse than anything else out there in classical music ... with one exception ... it sure sounded better on that stereo system! Even Gigli's lilting aria in Tosca, was not as sweet and smooth as so much TD, even though his version of it was the sweetest of all!

Of all things, the only one I do not want to see, is this kind of music die out. I don't see a lot of people exploring the medium and writing some new things that catch us by surprise time and again, and this is the part that I will miss with Edgar's presence ... the unexpected! i have always thought that too many other people are way too "musically" this and that, and always find reasons to be more "conventional" than interesting and this is the part that it's hard for us to leave behind ... and really, there is only one thing that can be said ... maybe two ... and they are ... THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU for your beauty and heart that you have shared with us all this time.

Pedro
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

Dang, I have been away from this site for far too long. I only read the sad news on this site yesterday.

To say I am bummed out is a monumental understatement. How does one put into words how much Edgar's music has meant in one's life? It was like discovering a new continent. While Top 40 radio played mainstream music that sounded similar to one another, Edgar's (and by extension, Tangerine Dream's) music was like stumbling into Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Lost World." It was a sonic landscape unlike anything my ears had ever encountered before.

At the time I discovered TD (with Rubycon, which had just been released when I learned about the band), I had come to the realization that the music that appealed to me the most was the music that consisted of electronic keyboards. I had thought the synthesizer was just for creating weird, spacy sounds suitable for sci-fi movies (enjoyable in its own way, to be sure), but Edgar demonstrated that the synthesizer was capable of so much more. So much emotion, so much melody and musicality. It had life. It had soul. In short, I was hooked for life.

How sad that Edgar will not be here for the band's 50th anniversary in 2017. It's been a long, delightful, musical road, one that I have proud to have embarked on since the early 1970s.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
barry morse

Post by barry morse »

i have been a fan of tangerine dream and edgar for over 35 years very sad news,i will allways regret not meeting him,barry