The News About Edgar

Insvims
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: The News About Edgar

Post by Insvims »

sparrow wrote:One thing I noticed with edgars passing is it brought us all together. I was deeply moved byall the words written about the man.
Well said. I am moved too by all the reactions and eulogies. Hope it all is communicated to those that were closest to Edgar.
71 dB wrote:Only now, after a few days I am able to write about this sad news here. I have been stagnant. I received the Eastgate newsletter Fri, 23 Jan 2015 7:51 PM, but I didn't check this email account until about Saturday 2 AM before going to bed. The news was so unexpected. It feld so unreal. I could not believe this could happen. Edgar Froese is the kind of immortal person you think will never die. I spent the weekend in state on shock, denial and stagnation. I don't feel like listening to any Tangerine Dream music right now. Later. The only music I was able to listen to after the sad news was renaissance lamentations by Palestrina, Lassus etc.

Now I am learning to live in a world without the man. I discovered Tangerine Dream's music quite late, in 2008. I had known about TD since early 1990's, but I never understood how huge they are, how grand their music is. I didn't even know the band existed anymore. In Finland here I live knowbody talks about Tangerine Dream. Most of Finns don't understand electronic music at all. During these 7 years I have been a fan of Tangerine Dream I have learned to respect and admire Edgar Froese as an unique great man.
Very nice words. Respectful of you to put the text in black. We all were extremely saddened by this. I must say it again: Safe journey, you great master and wisdom...
dgb1

Post by dgb1 »

I am in total shock.
The man was a genius, as were Franke and Baumann.
I heard about the sad news on Saturday morning.
I have been walking around in a daze ever since.

I know this will sound strange, but it feels more like a family member dying than a rock musician.
I love loads of prog bands, and we have lost Richard Wright of Floyd, Peter Bardens of Camel, Wooly Wolstenholme and Mel Pritchard of BJH, but no matter how much I admired those guys for many years, they all pale into insignificance when compared to losing Edgar.

I am 41 years old, I grew up in the 70's and 80's and my dad was a huge prog fan, I remember hearing TD, Genesis, Yes, Floyd, Camel, Rush, Oldfield, Jarre, Schulze etc as the soundtrack to my life.

Albums like Poland and Logos struck a chord with me instantly.
Since then favourites have been Stratosfear, Force Majeure, Wavelength, Underwater Sunlight, Tangram and Exit.

I think I'll always have a tear in my eye when I listen to White Eagle................

I play keyboards, and when I write and record music I am inspired to make long sprawling tunes.
Edgar and Franke have been such an inspiration for me.

Sometimes we forget these guys are just human, he did make 70 years after all, although we must all pass on sometime, it still came as one hell of a shock.

I was lucky to have seen them live in Edinburgh a few years ago during the Views From A Red Train tour.

Like many of you, I have pre-ordered his book.
I hope this book still sees the light of day, it will take on a whole new meaning now, reading the words of a genius no longer with us.
I a way I now look forward to it more, not in a morbid way, but through respect for a pioneer in his field.

RIP Edgar, we won't forget you, your music will live on in our hearts.

David
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Insvims wrote:Very nice words. Respectful of you to put the text in black.
Thanks! The default orange color feels too bright and joyful at this moment.
dgb1 wrote:
I know this will sound strange, but it feels more like a family member dying than a rock musician.

David
Strange or not, I feel the same way.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

dgb1 wrote:I know this will sound strange, but it feels more like a family member dying than a rock musician.
I love loads of prog bands, and we have lost Richard Wright of Floyd, Peter Bardens of Camel, Wooly Wolstenholme and Mel Pritchard of BJH, but no matter how much I admired those guys for many years, they all pale into insignificance when compared to losing Edgar.
I totally agree, David. I even guess that many of us feel this way...
Edgar had "something more", maybe because he seemed to be an absolute "servant of music" (as he said).
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
JaredWhite

Post by JaredWhite »

I totally agree, David. I even guess that many of us feel this way...
Edgar had "something more", maybe because he seemed to be an absolute "servant of music" (as he said).
I've thought about this too. Perhaps one factor is the sheer volume of music he and his bandmates put out over so many decades...makes you feel like you've spent so much time with him/them. I can't think of very many people I've spent more time thinking about in my life than the artists behind the art I love....Tangerine Dream feels like it's always been there as a constant since I was a kid in the 80's!
Yarred - Chillout, Synthwave, & Ambient Electronica
yarred.com / Listen on Bandcamp
jag636

Post by jag636 »

I have just found out the very sad news and have cried tears of sadness as I have followed TD since 1975 and edgars great musical journey right up to now, as I write this I am listening to zeitgeist and loving it too.
A great man who we all admire and love you are an inspiration and have shared your gift with so many I thank you from my aching heart.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

It's a feeling of shock and sadness I was unprepared for. I discovered TD in 1981 at the age of 14, and from that point on Edgar was the one who kindled my interest in philosophy, art and spirituality. He was the one who showed me through his music and his interviews that it's ok to be unconventional and to follow one's path, even if the rest of the world doesn't get it.

Edgar, I would be a different person without you. I never met you face-to-face (attending 4 concerts doesn't count), but you have touched my life. My heartfelt thanks to you for that. I'm a bit hesitant to say "rest in peace", because if you're still out there somewhere on the next level, resting is probably just not your thing...
A bird that has left its cage won't miss the opportunity to roam and to sing its tunes. Your new cosmic address will be stunned what kind of singer they got now.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

It's a rare thing when music comes along that makes you feel like this music was made just for you. It speaks to you, in the personal language of your own consciousness. It's as if someone somehow knew what would be the ideal music for your brain and created it for you, even though you might not have been able to convey the idea yourself. But yet, there it is, playing for you out of your stereo speakers. That's what Tangerine Dream has always been to me, and I suspect, most of the people on this forum as well.

When I discovered Tangerine Dream, Encore was the "new album." I had just bought Stratosfear. The photo on the cover of Encore sent chills down my spine, because it was the antithesis of a picture of a rock concert. No conventional rock instruments like you would expect, but three guys seated among towering banks of synthesizers on stage? Who would even believe that was possible! Who else but me would want to listen to that! But there it was; on a real record, that perhaps maybe other people are listening to as well (I remember reading about how poorly Stratosfear sold in the United States, and I joked that I must have bought the only copy). I don't want to marginalize the other Dream members though, because the music was made by the band, but it was Edgar's vision and his attitude toward contemporary pop music that made it happen, and his perseverance that kept it happening for almost half a century.

We feel a loss because the loss is ours. I'm sure Edgar has for a long time known how much joy his art brought to so many people. He was able to do what he loved, what he believed in, and so many people appreciated what he did. Sadly, so many great artists pass at a very young age, leaving admirers frustrated and scholars to speculate on what might have been. Fortunately, for both Edgar and the fans of TD, we have been blessed with a staggeringly voluminous catalogue of some of the most breathtaking art ever created in the world of music (and let's not overlook the beautiful cover art that graced these recordings). Rarely do quality and quantity both exist in such abundance without one diminishing the other. That was part of Edgar's magic.

We are mourning, of course, but we should also celebrate what Edgar has given us, and continue to listen to the music of Tangerine Dream, in all its incarnations, including Herr Froese's solo works. By strange coincidence, I've been on a TD binge the last couple weeks, long before I heard this sad news. I will continue that binge until I've played every single recording, only now with especial reverence . . .

The works of TD and EF are truly the Movements Of A Visionary.
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

I'm so impressed with all the fantastic comments made by the members of the Forum, which show what a great love of Edgar's and TD's music we have. We are all in mourning for the great man but the music lives on in eternity, which I find a great comfort.
rigel

Post by rigel »

In Memorium: Edgar Froese (1944-2015)

I found out the sad news on Saturday via an email from Compact Disc Services in Scotland. Since then I have listened with a sense of poignancy to some of Edgar's greatest music, both with Tangerine Dream and his solo work. His passing has come as a shock to me and, it is obvious, to many others. It does indeed feel like losing someone close to you, not just a favourite musician and composer, but in a funny way a friend and guiding light. By all accounts in person he was a great guy, part of a generation of creative souls who grew up in the ruins of post-war Germany and, coming of age in the late 1960s, set out to do something different artistically.

I discovered TD back in 1988 and the rest is history, as the saying goes. Edgar's electronic soundscapes and expressive, unique guitar style have been an almost constant soundtrack to my life since my late teens. I think his visionary, surreal music will remain so for the rest of my life. He was a true legend of electronic music, a real pioneer in the 1970s and 1980s, as evidenced by his experimentation (along with his very talented colleagues, Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling etc) with modular synthesisers, sequencers and the early days of drum machines and digital sampling technology. Beyond the sheer creative force of using music technology in such an inventive way, there was a warmth and individuality to his work and, as has been mentioned elsewhere, an ability to reinvent himself (and the band itself) by continually creating new music: every few years changing the style, instrumentation and emphasis. What other guy who founded his own band in 1967 would be open minded enough to welcome his son into the group and delight in Jerome freshening things up with his Dream Mixes albums? Releases informed by drum n bass and the contemporary electronic dance music scene in the 1990s. To be bold enough to be different; brave (and crazy!) enough to be the first Western rock band to play a concert in East Germany, with no new material written for the historic event - relying on improvisation alone and letting new member Johannes Schmoelling start off the show on piano. To have the vision to set William Blake's poetry to electronic music on the album Tyger, a work that has since been acknowledged as a classic. To have provided numerous Hollywood movies with groundbreaking, sequencer driven electronic soundtracks in the 1980s. Edgar's list of achievements and huge influence on other musicians has not been lauded widely enough in the music press down the years - changing fashions and a cheap, shallow desire by music fans and critics to be hip and trendy has a lot to do with that I'm afraid.

In another thread in this forum I was touched to see all the remembrances and tributes from noted people that he worked with in the film and music world. Glad to see the movie directors William Friedkin, Michael Mann and Bobby Roth all recalling Edgar with respect and fondness. It is also apparent (though I had realised this long ago) that Edgar was a very special person as well as his talents as a musician. Former and current band members clearly held Edgar in the greatest esteem and note his fatherliness, perception, humour, positive influence and warmth as a human being. These qualities have always come across to me in interviews with the man down the years. Even music critics (that harsh, unforgiving bunch at times) that have met him have remarked on Edgar's charming personality.

I celebrate his vast output of wonderful, varied music spanning five decades, but I also feel very sad that he has died so suddenly at the age of 70. It comes to us all of course, but one felt somehow that he was immortal and would go on and on.

Thank you Edgar for so much great music...even the names of your compositions sound like magic: Epsilon in Malaysian Pale, Barbakane, Alchemy of the Heart, Specific Gravity of Smile, Sundance Kid, Talking to Maddox, Pilots of Purple Twilight, Diamond Diary, It Would be Like Samoa, Rubycon, Song of the Whale, Mothers of Rain, and many many more...timeless music that will live on for eternity, inspiring and entertaining all your fans and those still to discover the magic of Tangerine Dream in the future.

Rest in peace, Edgar Froese. I never met you but your dreamy music and vision have been a comfort and companion to me for 27 years. There is a reason for all this outpouring of grief and love. It feels like a light has gone out.
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Beautiful words, Rigel.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

It been a weeks since I hear shocking news about Edgar Froese passing I didn’t play any TD music It just Play it in my mind Tuesday morning I walk around at the park and take a brief pause silent moment thinking about of Edgar Froese maybe next week I’ll be ready to start listen to tangerine dream music again right now I am just not in the mood I am still sad & too emotional. :cry:

I don’t know where to start I’m just shock and devastated to hear the news Edgar froese on Friday at noon I went to the computer check it out at face book it said that Edgar had pass away I said to myself hey wait a minute so I just went to the TD home page I can’t believe it this is can’t be true I’m just too chook up with tears and crying at the same time. :cry:

It like the worlds just stop or time just stop I just can’t believe that he is gone just left the world and move to the new cosmic address.

My deepest condolences to Bianca, Jerome and the complete TD team & Eastgate Team crew going for some difficult tough times.

Edgar Froese is Tangerine Dream he is my hero.

I love you Edgar rest in peace. :cry:

PETER

LASERDISC DREAM

:!: :arrow:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I can not bring myself to write much,at this time. I was totally shocked and devastated to hear the news about Edgar,and am still pretty much inconsolable. My thoughts are with Bianca,Jerome and the immediate TD families now,and I send my sincere condolences to you all.

I am going to miss Edgar,he and his music meant so much to me,and athough I still have all that wonderful music,without Edgar,life will never be the same,again.

Thank you maestro,your music proved to be a huge part of my life,and for that,I am eternally grateful. I will hopefully see you,on the other side.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Laserdisc Dream wrote:It been a weeks since I hear shocking news about Edgar Froese passing I didn’t play any TD music

I've actually listened to quite a bit of 70's era material (both TD and EF), and have gone to this track quite a few times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jszxV3joWTU (remember to right click to get the link to open)

It starts and ends the exact same way, much like our existence here. Where do we go when we die? Same place we were before we were born. I've always felt that was one of the underlying themes of this track, though of course it takes on a whole different context now.
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

TheXFactor wrote:
Laserdisc Dream wrote:It been a weeks since I hear shocking news about Edgar Froese passing I didn’t play any TD music

I've actually listened to quite a bit of 70's era material (both TD and EF), and have gone to this track quite a few times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jszxV3joWTU (remember to right click to get the link to open)

It starts and ends the exact same way, much like our existence here. Where do we go when we die? Same place we were before we were born. I've always felt that was one of the underlying themes of this track, though of course it takes on a whole different context now.
Nice thoughts there, TheXFactor.

Personally, I can't stop listening to the original Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares. It's an Edgar solo and all that melody is like listening to his whole life. The very soul of this man and all he went through is captured neatly in there. So ahead of its time. How remarkable it was!!

Another one I'd recommend for such times would be "Lhasa", from "Quinoa". Another Edgar solo track that captures the same mood.