The News About Edgar

andyk
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: The News About Edgar

Post by andyk »

Just had to add my sincere condolences to Bianca, Jerome, all the band members, past & present and to all at Eastgate.

To say I was devastated at the news of Edgar's passing would be an understatement. I, like many of the fans, discovered TD in the mid-70's, with the Virgin release of Phaedra, and I have been a huge fan ever since.

High-spots (and there are too many to count): first concert in Bristol (Colston Hall) in 1997. The astonishing concert at the RFH when Purgatorio was played in full, up to the most recent concert in London last May, Edgar and the band brought me so much joy.

I always felt that Edgar was hugely under-rated as a musician/composer/visionary, and I was heartened when my letter bemoaning this fact was published (with a photo of the great man) in Classic Rock (Prog) magazine last Summer.

RIP Edgar; your huge musical legacy will live on, I'm sure,

Andy K
geehigh

Post by geehigh »

I would also like to add my condolences to the Froese and Eastgate families, and to TD admirers, ex-members, and associates of the group world-wide.

I was fortunate enough to catch TD in the Franke - Froese - Baumann era (no preference to any group member intended - that was the order printed on the record labels) and I also attended two concerts by that lineup: First at Coventry Cathedral (yes the filmed one) in 1975, and then at the Birmingham Odeon in 1976.

Heady days - you just felt like those guys were capable of absolutely anything.

Since then I've been dipping in and out of various recent TD projects via downloads (Summer in Nagasaki is my fave of the later stuff), went to a few more shows in the 1980s, and always kept up to date with Elgar's solo stuff - good, bad, and indifferent. The joy of Edgar's music was a bit like listening to Frank Zappa - you had no idea what was heading your way next.

The loss of Edgar feels like having pages torn out of the diary of my youth. Selfish, huh?

Go well Mr. Froese - you're going to be missed around here.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I read the News two days ago and I still can't believe it. :cry:
Just coming back from a two week vacation I ordered the latest two CDs without noticing at first. Then I saw the Forum News ... Now I'm still in a state of shock.
I wish all the best to Bianca, Jerome, his friends and collegues. Edgar's Music was there when I lost my mother and comforted me in a way no one else could. I'm so lucky I had the chance to see TD live for the first time and witness his last concert in Germany last June in Cologne. This wonderful music will always be with us. And I sincerely believe Edgar will be with us too. Without him the world will not be same ... :cry:
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

It's been just over two weeks since Edgar's passing and I have not been able to bring myself to listen to any TD or EF music. In fact, I haven't listened to ANY music at all and anyone who knows me knows that that practically NEVER happens.

I don't know why or what I'm afraid of.

I got a chance to see TD live back in 1988 when they played the Saenger Theater in New Orleans on September, 17th. It was a night I will never forget. I still have the faded and worn ticket stub. Ever since that day I have been hoping to see them again. They have come close to my neck of the woods, but not close enough for me to have been able to make the trip. Now, I realize that the one show I got to see was my one and only opportunity.

Very sad. :(

I feel like I have lost a close friend or father-figure even though we've never met.
JaredWhite

Post by JaredWhite »

Finally had the time to work on this: my ode to the man himself, Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream. Talking about how I first encountered TD and including some YouTube clips of some of my favorite pieces over the decades.
http://echoes.jaredwhite.com/farewell-t ... ar-froese/

I'm not that old (in my early 30's), yet it seems like TD's been a part of my life FOREVER. Every year I've been able to look forward to getting the "new" TD album (or albums plural!). Hard to believe Edgar is no longer with us. :cry:
Yarred - Chillout, Synthwave, & Ambient Electronica
yarred.com / Listen on Bandcamp
Babak66

Post by Babak66 »

Edgar Froese is gone for 16 days now. I've been reading many of the posts here, and realizing how big of an impact his music and his existence had on all of us, and anyone who were touched by his creations. It still brings tears to my eyes knowing that he's no longer with us. But when I look at my extensive collection of Tangerine Dream CDs, Vinyl and DVDs I know that I have this gift: a priceless treasure that I will always keep, cherish and listen to and watch.
I was only 17 when I first heard his music (Logos) and it was unlike anything that I've ever experienced before. I grew up physically listening to TD, and I grew emotionally and spiritually. Now at 48, I believe I owe this band and Edgar in particular much gratitude.
I was lucky to see TD live 5 times (the last time onboard Divina cruise ship on Caribbean Sea), and it was all magic, pure joy and ecstasy. I'm glad I got the chance to shake Edgar's hand a few times and tell him how much I have been positively impacted by him and his music.
Thank you Edgar for everything, until we re-connect someday, somehow, somewhere...
Babak M.
San Francisco, Feb.5.2015
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

I drafted a memorial piece earlier this week but still have yet to publish it. I've been listening to bits of TD all week and find that words will never do the man justice but I will try.
ant

Post by ant »

:( Last Sunday afternoon I watched the London Eye concert and the tears came from time to time but when Edgar said at the end 'we are all still here' I completely went. Very emotional. :(
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

JaredWhite wrote:Finally had the time to work on this: my ode to the man himself, Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream. Talking about how I first encountered TD and including some YouTube clips of some of my favorite pieces over the decades.
http://echoes.jaredwhite.com/farewell-t ... ar-froese/

I'm not that old (in my early 30's), yet it seems like TD's been a part of my life FOREVER. Every year I've been able to look forward to getting the "new" TD album (or albums plural!). Hard to believe Edgar is no longer with us. :cry:
Nice post, JaredWhite. There are so many nice posts from you all regarding Edgar's passing. I have read every comment in this thread, and it was also nice to see in the news mail that our thoughts had reached Bianca and the rest of the Eastgate team.
quigonkick

Post by quigonkick »

I'm also a newcomer to this forum. This looks like one of the last patches of the Internet where idiocy hasn't set in yet. All you folks seem to be quite civil yet passionate.

For me, the news still hasn't sunk in all the way yet. I read the news on the morning of 1/24 via Steven Wilson's Twitter feed. In all honesty I lost it for a few minutes. I've always considered Edgar to be a giant among giants of the music world, and while we can try to be positive about this, I seriously doubt the gaping chasm created by his absence can ever be partially patched, much less filled.

In my opinion, TD mastered the holy trinity of music: longevity, prolific, and quality. Might as throw relevance in there too and make it a quad. I'd drink paint to touch any of those traits with my music, much less revel in all four for four decades. We've been beyond blessed to share this marble at the same time this music has been made available.

Wasn't sure if a new topic should be created for this being my newness and all, but here's my Tangerine Dream story in my trademarked scatterbrain fashion:

My dad turned me on to TD via "Lily on the Beach" about 25 or so years ago. I'd look forward to listening to that tape when we'd hang out, which quickly led to "Hey, can I borrow that?". He never got that tape back, and I quickly upgraded it to a store-bought CD.

I can't say for certain what it was about TD in particular that got me hooked. My dad was turning me onto slews of new age music at the time and this was one of many that I still love and listen to to this day.

Outside of my family, music is my entire life's purpose. I don't follow sports, go to bars, or anything that isn't centered around music. There's no book or movie clubs, and certainly very, very little TV (concerts are an exception). I listen to dang near everything (anything that doesn't have the word "pop" in it) and that includes ambient, death metal, alt-country, jazz, blues, reggae, bluegrass, new age... you name it. It is like swimming up Niagara Falls to try to keep up with this much stuff, but regardless there are a handful of acts that stand out and have served as main branches on my library's tree and have shaped my life.

Tangerine Dream, without question, is a major branch and I can trace my love for the works of Brian Eno, Ulrich Schnauss, Manual, among many others directly from my dad's cassette. What I would do without having the music of all these in my head I don't know, but I do know I am immeasurably better off because of it.

I never got to see TD, and I've held off on the YouTube videos because I was hoping that when I saw them in a live setting, I'd be present. This is a little difficult to deal with, yet it serves as a reminder to me that some things you really have to make happen.

My three favorite TD albums are Lily on the Beach (of course), the Wavelength soundtrack, and Tyranny of Beauty. "Living in a Fountain Pen" has got to be one of my top ten favorite songs of all time without a doubt. I get goosebumps every single time I listen to it. There's a ridiculous amount of TD music to go through, and I'm not even a quarter of the way there. I have the Trees and 99% of the Leaves, and that makes it that much more daunting. What a wonderful problem to have!

I'd love to hear stories that other people have about TD be it concerts or even just days where a personal discovery was made with the music. I'm a slave to good stories (yes, I have pre-ordered Edgar's book) and I think it would be really cool for all of us to get back to why we're at this forum in the first place.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Interesting post quigonkick, welcome to the forum.

That really is a damn shame you never got to see TD live. That experience will live with me for ever and so important now after what has happened. Hopefully you can check out and enjoy some of the live DVDs and vids on the net.

It's the 70s Dream for me, but there is so much great music after this also, especially in recent years. Hope you have managed to check some out.

PS Nice to see a mention for Wavelength in you favourites.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

It's great to hear from someone who likes TD for their more recent(ish) stuff, rather than only the 70's music.

I find albums or tracks from ALL eras that I like. I also find albums or tracks from ALL eras that I do not like.

Lily On The Beach and Tyranny of Beauty are not amongst the favourite albums on here I would guess, but that
does not mean a thing because it is each person's individual preference that is important.

Their is no right or wrong with regard to musical taste.

Is Turn of the Tides 'better' than Zeit ? It depends who you ask.
It's like saying that Motorhead are 'better' than The Osmonds :)

Ask the right people, you will get different answers :)

Welcome to the forum !
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

Laserdisc Dream wrote:It been a weeks since I hear shocking news about Edgar Froese passing I didn’t play any TD music
TheXFactor wrote:I've actually listened to quite a bit of 70's era material (both TD and EF), and have gone to this track quite a few times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jszxV3joWTU (remember to right click to get the link to open)

It starts and ends the exact same way, much like our existence here. Where do we go when we die? Same place we were before we were born. I've always felt that was one of the underlying themes of this track, though of course it takes on a whole different context now.
Donofrio_TD wrote:Nice thoughts there, TheXFactor.

Personally, I can't stop listening to the original Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares. It's an Edgar solo and all that melody is like listening to his whole life. The very soul of this man and all he went through is captured neatly in there. So ahead of its time. How remarkable it was!!

Another one I'd recommend for such times would be "Lhasa", from "Quinoa". Another Edgar solo track that captures the same mood.

Thanks.

I remember reading a story Edgar told (in the Tangents booklet maybe?) about how he and Monique recorded 'Mysterious Semblance' in the middle of the night when everyone else was asleep. Agreed too that Edgar truly is a part of that song. Coincidentally enough, the following track ('Movements of a Visionary') has been gone to quite a few times as well.

Since I actually have the original Quinoa from the TDIFC, I've never heard 'Lhasa'. I'm sure I can find it on You Tube however.
TheXFactor

Post by TheXFactor »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:Is Turn of the Tides 'better' than Zeit ?
No. It is not. :twisted:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

TheXFactor wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:Is Turn of the Tides 'better' than Zeit ?
No. It is not. :twisted:
:D