What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

RAYMAN1970
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

WHATEVER the future holds for TD, no matter WHO is a part of it or who is NOT, I will support it and approach it with an open mind.
8)
dream-fan

Post by dream-fan »

RAYMAN1970 wrote:WHATEVER the future holds for TD, no matter WHO is a part of it or who is NOT, I will support it and approach it with an open mind.
8)
So do I! The best of all suggestions to me is the idea, that Thorsten and Ulrich continue as TD until 2017, like Edgar planned it, and than maybe come to an end.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

dream-fan wrote: ...
The best of all suggestions to me is the idea, that Thorsten and Ulrich continue as TD until 2017, like Edgar planned it, and than maybe come to an end.
Plus any members that want to be a part of it. Remember that Linda Spa did more than just a Saxophone, and that is great help all around.

All in all, there is one person I would have loved to see sit with Edgar and TD .... Ravi Shankar! But I doubt that some of the best classical musicians had the strength and inner drive to have the guts to improvise and play with someone like TD. I think that folks like Isaac Stern or Yehudi Menuhim might have said ... I wanna try, but that is just a thought in our minds!

There was a concert once in Hollywood's famous Bowl, about a famous flute player that got matched up with a jazz flautist and he got buffooned off the stage so badly that it was almost embarassing ... he couldn't improvise anything and he got blown out of the place! I think that almost any classical musician will face the same music with anyone that was/is with Tangerine Dream. You have to have a special core to be here!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hipgnosis wrote:
ant wrote::)I don't see that Jerome has the depth and musical ability and sensitivity to follow in his father's footsteps. Jerome did not come up in a time where there was no music (so to speak) and the folks were "empty inside" and a couple of musical schools helped define that in a generation ... which Germany still does not appreciate and work with very well, because commercial interests in football and some politics are still more important! Jerome is a product of today's society, quite unfocused and with what appears to be a lack of abililty to define things artistically. He does not have the appreciation for the arts that father showed and entertained. The words in the books and inspirations do not mean enough to him ... yet!
Wow, Do you know Jerome personally since you seem to know these things?
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Jon wrote:
Hipgnosis wrote:
ant wrote::)I don't see that Jerome has the depth and musical ability and sensitivity to follow in his father's footsteps. Jerome did not come up in a time where there was no music (so to speak) and the folks were "empty inside" and a couple of musical schools helped define that in a generation ... which Germany still does not appreciate and work with very well, because commercial interests in football and some politics are still more important! Jerome is a product of today's society, quite unfocused and with what appears to be a lack of abililty to define things artistically. He does not have the appreciation for the arts that father showed and entertained. The words in the books and inspirations do not mean enough to him ... yet!

He probably does not know Jerome personally, but what he is saying is quite true.

Jerome comes from a time when most things are easier to obtain, music can be worked on using a laptop whilst travelling on a train, boat or plane.
Collaborations of ideas can be worked on by artists on different continents whilst never actually meeting.

Different times indeed.
Red Morpho

Post by Red Morpho »

Regardless of any future direction / release TD make, it will be ultimately be down to the individual to decide whether or not to continue to support the band without Edgar. There no doubt exists a body of work already recorded that has not been released yet (Hamlet springs to mind as one). Personally I will continue to support the band in whatever direction it takes provided it is done in the same spirit/philosophy when Edgar was with us and with Bianca and the Eastgate team at the helm, I have every confidence that it will be.
You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink...but if you get it to float's on it's back then you've got something...
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Red Morpho wrote:Regardless of any future direction / release TD make, it will be ultimately be down to the individual to decide whether or not to continue to support the band without Edgar. There no doubt exists a body of work already recorded that has not been released yet (Hamlet springs to mind as one). Personally I will continue to support the band in whatever direction it takes provided it is done in the same spirit/philosophy when Edgar was with us and with Bianca and the Eastgate team at the helm, I have every confidence that it will be.
Well said. And I agree.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Jon wrote:
I said ... "yet"! What the future holds, you and I can not predict or say!

The only thing that is hard/harsh right now is that Jerome might feel he "has" to do this and it might take some of his own appreciation out of it and having to do something else he is not as capable and willing to do, otherwise.

You can NOT expect the child to be a copy of the father ... that is grossly unfair pressure and a hassle for many folks.

But yeah,.... I'll buy the first and second one ... right away ... curious to see what has been done or how it has developed. Either way, it will likely be different, and i think that's good.
geehigh

Post by geehigh »

Well, the elephant in the room here is that it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is). What happens next will be what happens.

Nothing lasts forever. Whichever way the decision falls there's one heck of a legacy to enjoy.
redziller

Post by redziller »

geehigh wrote:Well, the elephant in the room here is that it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is). What happens next will be what happens.

Nothing lasts forever. Whichever way the decision falls there's one heck of a legacy to enjoy.
You are not wrong
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

They are speaking of "the band", so seems as if TD might continue not just as a Tribute:

(from the Newsletter)
As many of you are asking us questions now, we like to give you some answers:

- So far everything will go on concerning our EASTGATE SHOP and further RELEASES.

- The band is carefully beginning to think about how and if it will go on.

- The band will perform a tribute concert for Edgar, that's for sure. No further details so far.

- Besides the band will compose a tribute album for Edgar.

- Bianca, Edgar's wife, working together with Edgar closely on the EASTGATE label for many years, will continue Edgar's legacy in dignity and in memory of Edgar's exceptional personality - she and the band will be soon developing some ideas for the future to let the Dream continue, at least a little Dream.....

- The autobiography of TD/Edgar will also be continued by Bianca and she will add some more special chapters as well. This takes time and we like to ask you to give her this time. At any rate there will be a compact and fascinating book in about several months.
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

geehigh wrote:Well, the elephant in the room here is that it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is). What happens next will be what happens.

Nobody ever said anything about us fans being the ones who were going to decide TD's future. We were just giving some opinions and thoughts, so you're kind of pointing out the obvious there.
multivit72 wrote:They are speaking of "the band", so seems as if TD might continue not just as a Tribute:

(from the Newsletter)
As many of you are asking us questions now, we like to give you some answers:

- So far everything will go on concerning our EASTGATE SHOP and further RELEASES.

- The band is carefully beginning to think about how and if it will go on.

- The band will perform a tribute concert for Edgar, that's for sure. No further details so far.

- Besides the band will compose a tribute album for Edgar.

- Bianca, Edgar's wife, working together with Edgar closely on the EASTGATE label for many years, will continue Edgar's legacy in dignity and in memory of Edgar's exceptional personality - she and the band will be soon developing some ideas for the future to let the Dream continue, at least a little Dream.....

- The autobiography of TD/Edgar will also be continued by Bianca and she will add some more special chapters as well. This takes time and we like to ask you to give her this time. At any rate there will be a compact and fascinating book in about several months.
If they continue as "Tangerine Dream" then I'll also have to think VERY carefully if I'm done with "the band" or not. Unless they're half as worth it on their own as they were with Edgar (and a few of the last records suggest that they kind of dropped the ball as well), I'm not buying anything with the TD label anymore. I know I'll be alone in this, but that's how I see it.

And, oh man, I hate to say this, but as much as I love Bianca and as much as she was probably Edgar's main reason for everything in this world, she's not a musician and she's not needed to continue anything at all. Edgar's legacy has its own life, its own memory and its own dignity. Nobody can touch it, not even she who was his wife and his immediate support and artwork designer, etc. If you really want an act out of true "dignity", leave the TD label alone. Close the book. Let it rest. Don't attempt to cash in on it no more. That would honestly be some sort of a foul play, an "uncool" move. At least make another band with another name so the fans can choose whether or not to continue listening to your stuff and buying it or not. Pay tribute to Edgar if you want, but, whatever you do, please do not destroy his label. Instead of carefully considering "next releases as TD", better carefully consider getting out of TD altogether. The strong link of the band, THE ONLY LINK, REALLY, is now in our memories forever. His legacy in our hearts, minds & speakers and in our own descendants' hearts, minds & speakers. So please just stop.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

well, I see it more positive - as I understand it there are many many hours of unreleased material, so I would assume (and very much hope) that Bianca will oversee the release of some of these works. It also has been mentioned here several times that Edgar has left instructions regarding his Music.
Would be great if Jerome would do the mastering as he has done before, but maybe not so likely...
ant

Post by ant »

:? Totally disagree with Donofrio-TD. I think Thorsten & Co are more than capable of continuing the TD name for a few years. Yes, of course Edgar was a major part of TD but there were others involved and had been with Edgar for many years and they would certainly be able to compose music that would in no way tarnish the TD name and I personally do not think Edgar would have any problems with them carrying on his good name. I am more than ready to continue supporting the TD name for the next couple of years and should they decide to continue then I can't wait to hear the results and if you decide to stop then I feel you will miss out on some really good music. Anyway, we shall see what they decide but I say - Bring it On!!!!!!!! :D
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

ant wrote::? Totally disagree with Donofrio-TD. I think Thorsten & Co are more than capable of continuing the TD name for a few years. Yes, of course Edgar was a major part of TD but there were others involved and had been with Edgar for many years and they would certainly be able to compose music that would in no way tarnish the TD name and I personally do not think Edgar would have any problems with them carrying on his good name. I am more than ready to continue supporting the TD name for the next couple of years and should they decide to continue then I can't wait to hear the results and if you decide to stop then I feel you will miss out on some really good music. Anyway, we shall see what they decide but I say - Bring it On!!!!!!!! :D
Agree. As Jon Anderson once is supposed to have said about Yes: Yes is more a concept than a band. More a way of composing and thinking, rather than about the names involved.
So also with TD. No doubt that TQ and others can carry on in this spirit.