What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

wayfarer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by wayfarer »

Rubyconesque wrote:It seems to me that their is a natural successor to Edgar who everyone seems to be neglecting....his son Jerome! There must coun tless hours of material on hard drives and to me, it would seem a fitting tribute to Edgar, that Jerome takes over Edgars crown as head of the New Tangerine Dream. The concerts can continue initially with 80% original material, and 20% newly composed music....with ever increasing percentage of newly composed material....and we fans can take it or leave it.
Edgars legacy would continue to thrill us who want to continue to go to see them live.
It seems that apart from TD, Pink FLoyd (no longer touring) and Camel there are no other acts I would want to watch live -and I don't wish my concert attending days to disappear - especially as there must be SO MUCH material Edgarhas stored away and it would be sad not to have it heard.
I thought about Jerome taking over the Tangerine Dream name and discounted it, if only because he went his own way with his solo material and the wonderful LOOM. I certainly wouldn't be upset should Jerome decide to continue the name and legacy. It would be entirely appropriate. It's too early for a statement on the future, but my personal wish is for the release of any material in the vaults to complete the Tangerine Dream discography. There's plenty of unreleased gems.
Repeating what I said before, I'll support what, if anything, comes of a continuation.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

I think it takes a lot of discussion to figure out if continuation of TD is meaningful or even possible. Does Jerome even want to become a new leader of TD or does he want to do his own thing? As talented as Jerome is, his style is quite different from his father's style.

It may sound a good idea now to continue TD. Let's assume they did. By the year 2020 we'd have several new "post-Edgar" releases and people would whine how the music doesn't have the right TD feel to it and how Edgar Froese's legacy is beeing obliterated. People would say they shouldn't have continued TD. That's how human mind seems to work. I'm not saying this would happen with 100 % certainty. I'm saying it is probable.

At this moment I mourn the departure of a great man. Thinking about how to secure the flow of new TD music feels heartless and selfish. Life must go on and in time it will find it's way.
ant

Post by ant »

:( It is far too early to be thinking of what might or might not be. It is still the time for mourning the loss of this great musician, pioneer, composer and human being. Once we pass through this dark passage in time then we can move forward and all concerned can decide what they want to do. We have the two releases already announced to come and then we will see. We also have Edgar's autobiography to come later in the year, which will now be an even more cherished and prized possession, along with his ESP guitar that I purchased from him last year. Who knows what the future holds but for now let's just continue to remember this wonderful person in the days ahead. :(
Biggus Dickus
Ger-TD-Fan

Post by Ger-TD-Fan »

The last years Thorsten was member of TD and not only a guest. He has the spirit of TD. I like Thorsten's
compositions very much. If the trademark Tangerine Dream become to end, perhaps anytime Thorsten and/or other
TD musicians will found an new band with new name, btw I also like Jeorme's compositions.
It is not only I miss TD, I also miss all the nice fans I meet at TD concerts, it was really a
very nice time with these poeple and of course i will miss the eastgate team.
I hope there will be any future for TD fans.
dream-fan

Post by dream-fan »

I don' t think that Jerome is interested to continue with TD - but on the other way, hey, we have LOOM, with Jerome and Johannes it IS 2/3 of Tangerine Dream and the Sound of LOOM is 2/3 like TD. I think, carry on with TD, Jerome wouldn' t sound more like TD than he is already with LOOM.

What about taking Chris Franke as a guest musician for LOOM, than we could get a new Froese/Franke/Schmoelling- composition (O.k., that wasn' t meant serious, it' s just a dream!!! But maybe someday there is really a concert for Edgar with some of his colleagues playing together...)
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Perhaps at some point in the future Thorsten will get together with other like minds and talents to continue in a new band.

Perhaps Jeromme and Ulrich would be interested. Who knows.

It will never be Tangerine Dream without Edgar Froese and I think we really have to let go of this idea. However painful it is for everyone :(
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

studio308 wrote:I agree with last message. I think that Tangerine Dream should continue and Jerome should take place of his father. Finish the most of the material that was in works and then keep growing the TD discography. Tangerine Dream is a concept that can continue even without Edgar Froese, but by his path. At least they should try to continue it as far as possible.
I don't think Jerome coming back (and more: as the leader of the band) would be a good idea at all. Let's not forget that he left because he wanted to. And I remember that someone on these forums posted a while back that he had read that Jerome was even making pretty bitter comments about it. If he came back to TD and became the leader just because his dad is now gone, that would be very double-sided and false. I'm going to be direct and sincere here: He would look like a hypocrite. Sorry. Besides his style is not fitting for TD. It was back in the day because Edgar was there to add his own to the compositions and that was what complemented it. Not today. If I wanted to listen to Jerome Froese, I'd buy his Loom and all the rest of his solo stuff. But not as Tangerine Dream.
studio308 wrote:Phaedra Farewell 2014 tour sounds rather different now, does it? I've heard that all the touring members decided to leave TD, because they were difficult to see Edgar's fading. He changed a lot in last 3-4 years.
I don't know where you heard it or if it's true at all or not, but if they really left because of that, I'm gonna come off as rude here and I'm sorry, but how total asshats!! For that exact same reason they should've supported him more. They were supposed to be his friends and what do they do? They let him rot... Wow!!
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

studio308 wrote:Phaedra Farewell 2014 tour sounds rather different now, does it? I've heard that all the touring members decided to leave TD, because they were difficult to see Edgar's fading. He changed a lot in last 3-4 years.
Donofrio_TD wrote:I don't know where you heard it or if it's true at all or not, but if they really left because of that, I'm gonna come off as rude here and I'm sorry, but how total asshats!! For that exact same reason they should've supported him more. They were supposed to be his friends and what do they do? They let him rot... Wow!!
There is no reason to use such words, because I am absolutely certain there is nothing to these rumours. Not true at all. How can you talk about this at all? This is a time of mourning. You should respect that. Some people I don't understand at all. This is totally out of respect!
ant

Post by ant »

:( I agree with Insvims, these conversations should not be taking place and one of the comments was right out of order. Speculating about what has gone on behind closed doors is disrespectful and has no place on this forum. We are lovers of TD and of Edgar and I do not want to see his good name being besmirched with this kind of talk. I am still mourning the loss of this wonderful man and it hurts me to see people talking like this. Let's please give each other time to grieve and get over this great loss and cool down. Time will tell what will be and until then lets just think of all the great times we have had in the TD universe. :(
Biggus Dickus
rigel

Post by rigel »

My instinct is just to wait patiently and see. We are all fans and naturally curious about what the future holds, and speculation about what will happen from now on is inevitable. But I do feel, as others have commented, that now is not the time for such discussions, and I doubt whether those who were close to Edgar are even thinking that way now. It is a time for grieving and remembrance and there have been some lovely, eloquent tributes from fans and colleagues of Edgar in the past few days which have been heartwarming to see.

Of course, any unreleased material from the archives, or music Edgar was working on before he passed away no doubt should see the light of day at some point under the Tangerine Dream name, but I think patience in that regard is the order of the day. I personally do not think TD should continue as an extant band, either recording all new material or touring under that name - it just isn't Tangerine Dream without him. However, I am sure we all have much to look forward to in the way of new music from Thorsten, Jerome, Ulrich, Schmoelling and so on. All I am sure will be composing new music inspired in varying degrees by their time with Edgar and being part of Tangerine Dream.
Lucan

Post by Lucan »

Since 1967, Tangerine Dream has been Edgar Froese plus whoever he's choosing to work with at the time. A band that hasn't got Edgar Froese in it is, by definition, not Tangerine Dream.

Jerome taking over from his dad is an interesting idea, but I can't see it happening because I seem to recall reading somewhere that a major part of his reason for quitting was that he and Thorsten didn't like each other at all. So if Jerome rejoined, chances are Thorsten would have to leave, and I would prefer that not to happen, because Thorsten is AWESOME.

Ulrich and Thorsten continuing to work together would be great, but they'd have to have a name that isn't Tangerine Dream.
If celibacy was good enough for my father, and his father before him, it's bloody well good enough for me!
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Lucan wrote:Since 1967, Tangerine Dream has been Edgar Froese plus whoever he's choosing to work with at the time. A band that hasn't got Edgar Froese in it is, by definition, not Tangerine Dream.
I agree with this mostly (along with the similar comment that sorcerer made above), but the only trio I would accept recording and performing under the moniker of Tangerine Dream would be Chris Franke, Johannes Schmoelling, and Thosrten Quaeschning, but that'll never happen!
hansx

Post by hansx »

dream-fan wrote:I don' t think that Jerome is interested to continue with TD - but on the other way, hey, we have LOOM, with Jerome and Johannes it IS 2/3 of Tangerine Dream and the Sound of LOOM is 2/3 like TD. I think, carry on with TD, Jerome wouldn' t sound more like TD than he is already with LOOM.

What about taking Chris Franke as a guest musician for LOOM, than we could get a new Froese/Franke/Schmoelling- composition (O.k., that wasn' t meant serious, it' s just a dream!!! But maybe someday there is really a concert for Edgar with some of his colleagues playing together...)
To be honest, don't like a discussion about the future of TD as our leader is nearly in his grave. It is not very polite.
On the other hand, even if TD there is no TD anymore, Loom can easily do it. Listen to the Score cd and you think you hear TD. So, we can enjoy the music anyway in future if....
tdfan

Post by tdfan »

Like others said, continue to make great music but PLEASE pick a different name!!
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

Insvims wrote:
Donofrio_TD wrote:I don't know where you heard it or if it's true at all or not, but if they really left because of that, I'm gonna come off as rude here and I'm sorry, but how total asshats!! For that exact same reason they should've supported him more. They were supposed to be his friends and what do they do? They let him rot... Wow!!
There is no reason to use such words, because I am absolutely certain there is nothing to these rumours. Not true at all. How can you talk about this at all? This is a time of mourning. You should respect that. Some people I don't understand at all. This is totally out of respect!
How am I being disrespectful when I'm also grieving over this? That's why I used the word "if" to respond to studio308's comment. I never said I believed his little rumor. If I was a bit rude it was like an indirect way for me to tell him to come off with proof to this or be quiet about it. And you don't want people to talk about it but you're provoking it more instead of only ignoring it. Don't worry, I don't get you either, Insvims.