What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Hipgnosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I don't know ... but yeah ... long live the king ... the king is dead!

There is no next chapter in the story!

I do not think that Jerome has the ability, and the studiousness that Edgar displayed all of these years. If he did, he would have stuck around, and he didn't. But I do not see Jerome not being a part of anything that has "TD" written on it!

The saddest part is the other musicians that have been with him for so long ... where will they go ... and with folks like Linda who gave over 20 some years to TD, pretty much al of her adult life so far ... to help something that she obviously believed, understood and cared about!

All in all, the amount of music out there, that one can purchase, is so immense ... I'm just wondering when some academics will start the studying of his music and the comments ... so that Edgar/TD will eventually become just as big a composer as Wagner ever was and many others!

That would be right in my book!
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

"Classical Music buffons criticize the lack of a compositional pattern in my music whereas pop music listeners accuse my music of not being poppish enough." (Klaus Schulze, ca. 1977)

For that very reason, no musicologist will ever bother to analyze the works of neither Froese, nor Goettsching, nor Schulze, nor... whoever.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

Well, the funeral is now over, and Jerome has said that he will soon make a statement regards his intentions over TD in order to scotch all rumours flying around.

Waiting with bated breath! Will he or won't he take over the mantle??

In view of his many years as a member of TD I would be happy for him tour and release as TD but I suspect he would prefer to make his mark as Loom - but the reality of it is that TD is a worldwide commercial success and would continue to fill the 2000 seater venues - I doubt if Loom would be able to fill more than a 350 seater venue.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

Rubyconesque wrote:Well, the funeral is now over, and Jerome has said that he will soon make a statement regards his intentions over TD in order to scotch all rumours flying around.

Waiting with bated breath! Will he or won't he take over the mantle??
I think (probability = 95 % in my opinion) that he WON'T for a number of reasons...
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
ant

Post by ant »

:) I do not see why TD could not continue with just Thorsten, Ulrich & Hoshiko. I am sure they could produce some really nice music over the next few years and bring the TD name to a close when Edgar wanted it to - in 2017! :)
Biggus Dickus
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

projekt-elektronik wrote:"Classical Music buffons criticize the lack of a compositional pattern in my music whereas pop music listeners accuse my music of not being poppish enough." (Klaus Schulze, ca. 1977)

For that very reason, no musicologist will ever bother to analyze the works of neither Froese, nor Goettsching, nor Schulze, nor... whoever.
It will change in the future!

It has done so in the past, and no one would have accepted or believed what Stravinsky put together 50 years before he did! It's the nature of the beast and its history that 50 years later the very same buffoons got bored with their own music, and a new one came out and a new set of buffoons was born ... to the same folks unfortunately!

The analysis of this work will come soon enough, because we're not all kiss-ash fans that are awaiting a quick snoop shot of a boobbie or a quick skim of the short skirt and the color of the underwear, and what not. But we need to do better than just hugs and kisses!

The only question is ... where you will be, and with whom! My writings won't stop! How about yours?
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

ant wrote::) I do not see why TD could not continue with just Thorsten, Ulrich & Hoshiko. I am sure they could produce some really nice music over the next few years and bring the TD name to a close when Edgar wanted it to - in 2017! :)
And Linda and others!

Tangerine Thoughts
Edgar's Dream
Tomorrow's Dream
Tangerine Yesterday or Today

IF, these folks added to it all as much as it looks like, it is almost impossible to not see them do something together. I find it bizarre that any of these folks will go play their tuba (nickname for what they do) for 5 seconds on some poppish idiocy out there.

I don't see that Jerome has the depth and musical ability and sensitivity to follow in his father's footsteps -- the way that we think!!!!! He is not -- boviously -- Edgar! Jerome did not come up in a time where there was no music (so to speak) and the folks were "empty inside" and a couple of musical schools helped define that in a generation ... which Germany still does not appreciate and work with very well, because commercial interests in football and some politics are still more important! Jerome is a product of today's society, quite unfocused and with what appears to be a lack of abililty to define things artistically. He does not have the appreciation for the arts that father showed and entertained. The words in the books and inspirations do not mean enough to him ... yet!

The sad issue is, that the compositional medium is now with a massive/huge hole in this conceptual artistry, and this will likely hurt the development of the medium. With Vangelis not getting younger, or Riuychi Sakamoto also not getting younger, Mike Oldfield now just redoing the same thing over and over again and having lost his touch, and Jean Michelle kinda lost in the quagmire of nothing ... one wonders where the next work will come from. The medium is kinda empty and that whole music school left-overs from Germany is now just a sad bureau something or other website that doesn't even mention, and describe their artists and make their work sound interesting or important ...

Maybe it is the right time to go!
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mars

Post by Mars »

No person can replace Edgar.... But they can continue as Tangerine Dream II. Like Amon Dùùl and Amon Dùùl II. With a band consisting of rhe remaining members of TD and Loom. I would definately support them and buy their music and go to concerts. But thats my opinion :-)
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Mars wrote:No person can replace Edgar.... But they can continue as Tangerine Dream II. Like Amon Dùùl and Amon Dùùl II. With a band consisting of rhe remaining members of TD and Loom. I would definately support them and buy their music and go to concerts. But thats my opinion :-)
Well said, Ståle. And I agree. They can do it.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I do not think anyone is doubting they can do it or not,that is not the issue. The issue is whether or not people want it to go on,without Edgar. The remaining members are high quality musicians,in their own right,but they are not Edgar. Some will be for,and some will be against,and I respect both sides of the fence.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Quite a difficult decision for the band members and family. I wonder if Edgar left any thoughts in this regard.

Have to say, now it has sunk in, it is a bit of a daunting prospect having no more new Tangerine Dream releases to look forward to, if that is what happens.
redziller

Post by redziller »

I don't really feel I have any right to an opinion on this - down to the members involved - but a thought struck me today: Can I imagine EF ever having left TD to go on with the remaining members? No, no I can't. But then perhaps he foresaw that and had a plan to hand over.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

TD without Edgar Froese would be like Motörhead without Lemmy -- or, even worse, QUEEN without Freddy Mercury (hey, they actually do exist, would you believe... how pathetic is that?).
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
ant

Post by ant »

:) Strange thing is (some will probably not believe this) - I was never a fan of Queen when Freddie Mercury was around but I love the one album I did buy of theirs which was with Paul Rodgers on vocals!! However, I loved TD with Edgar and, although it will be strange without him, I think Thorsten and co. could do a marvellous job in completing Edgar's Quantum years, I really do. :)
Biggus Dickus
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

ant wrote::) Strange thing is (some will probably not believe this) - I was never a fan of Queen when Freddie Mercury was around but I love the one album I did buy of theirs which was with Paul Rodgers on vocals!! However, I loved TD with Edgar and, although it will be strange without him, I think Thorsten and co. could do a marvellous job in completing Edgar's Quantum years, I really do. :)
And if that is what happens,the very best of luck to them. 8) :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.