What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

T4N63R1N3 DR34M
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Hipgnosis wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
I simply can not see anything called Tangerine Dream not even considering having Jerome in it, anyway! Mom, would probably say ... only if he can help clean it up or do this and that or what not ... but I think that both she and Jerome, know that dad's story is over ... and only what the others do with it, will make the difference or add/subtract to the legacy. How much of that music will become "TD" and how much of that music will become "Edgar" is about the only thing that will be hard to decide!
Just for clarity, Jerome's mother has been deceased for some time now. Monique was his mother, not Bianca.

For more clarity... The quote in the box above is NOT MY QUOTE.... It was by someone replying to one of my messages

I know who Jerome's mum was, and who Bianca is.. :)
tdfan

Post by tdfan »

If the band goes on using the name Tangerine Dream, can you imagine the eternal discussion for every album released :
What would Edgar think? This is no longer the true TD! Etc.

With a new name they can develop the music in whatever direction they wish, without owing anything to anybody.
Also it would prove that they have enough confidence in their own musical abilities without hiding behind the TD name.

So, please let Edgar and TD rest in peace!
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

rigel wrote:With the exception of unreleased archival material, and any newer stuff Edgar was working on before he died, I think TD should come to an end. It is not TD without him, and the surviving current members can still make music under different names, solo or even forming a new band under a new name. New music made in the spirit of TD and influenced by Edgar will surely be made by various artists in the future, indeed that is in part what Loom is. But just not under the TD name.
Indeed !
And I really hope that a lot of unreleased material (studio albums + concerts) will see the light of day...
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

tdfan wrote:If the band goes on using the name Tangerine Dream, can you imagine the eternal discussion for every album released :
What would Edgar think? This is no longer the true TD! Etc.

With a new name they can develop the music in whatever direction they wish, without owing anything to anybody.
Also it would prove that they have enough confidence in their own musical abilities without hiding behind the TD name.

So, please let Edgar and TD rest in peace!
Yeah.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

TDludo wrote:
rigel wrote:With the exception of unreleased archival material, and any newer stuff Edgar was working on before he died, I think TD should come to an end. It is not TD without him, and the surviving current members can still make music under different names, solo or even forming a new band under a new name. New music made in the spirit of TD and influenced by Edgar will surely be made by various artists in the future, indeed that is in part what Loom is. But just not under the TD name.
Indeed !
And I really hope that a lot of unreleased material (studio albums + concerts) will see the light of day...

True.. all that
Babak66

Post by Babak66 »

Over the past 45 years great musicians joined the band, and each brought great novel ideas, and through collaborative hard work, the band evolved constantly and achieved the great status that we all know about. But at the core, it was always Edgar who cemented those ideas and innovations and managed to make it all sound like Tangerine Dream, whether the creativity was his own or introduced by other members.
There is no doubt in my mind that I wanted TD to continue, but we need to face the reality. Now, Edgar is gone, and the centerpiece will be always missing. It's our human nature to be selfish, and to hold on to something that we love and enjoy, but maybe instead we should cherish all the great years and amazing moments that we had with TD and then let it be. We will always have our CDs and Vinyls and DVDs and memorabilia to last us a lifetime. We can always re-live those great moments by listening to thousands of hours of music already out there.
So, if Jerome (or any of the past and current band members) decided not to continue with what's left of TD, their decision should be understood and respected. I always thought the best thing that can happen to an artist is to leave when still at the top, and I think that was and should be the case with Tangerine Dream.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Babak66 wrote:Over the past 45 years great musicians joined the band, and each brought great novel ideas, and through collaborative hard work, the band evolved constantly and achieved the great status that we all know about. But at the core, it was always Edgar who cemented those ideas and innovations and managed to make it all sound like Tangerine Dream, whether the creativity was his own or introduced by other members.
There is no doubt in my mind that I wanted TD to continue, but we need to face the reality. Now, Edgar is gone, and the centerpiece will be always missing. It's our human nature to be selfish, and to hold on to something that we love and enjoy, but maybe instead we should cherish all the great years and amazing moments that we had with TD and then let it be. We will always have our CDs and Vinyls and DVDs and memorabilia to last us a lifetime. We can always re-live those great moments by listening to thousands of hours of music already out there.
So, if Jerome (or any of the past and current band members) decided not to continue with what's left of TD, their decision should be understood and respected. I always thought the best thing that can happen to an artist is to leave when still at the top, and I think that was and should be the case with Tangerine Dream.
Very well put, and your last point about going out when in form is a good one. There is something to be said about ending your career and leaving people wanting more, true of artists in all spheres of creativity. Think of writers whose later stories lack the punch and focus of their earlier material. Film directors whose final movies are not a patch on the masterpieces they crafted in their heyday. Even in other fields of human endeavour, like sport. Footballers still playing when the pace and passion have long gone.

And most importantly with Tangerine Dream, the band as a new musical force (although I still wonder about the Peter Baumann angle) should be over now Edgar has gone.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Donofrio_TD wrote:
multivit72 wrote:Regarding Tangerine Dream: In the past I got asked so many times if I would carry on the TD torch or if I would continue with TD when Edgar retires and so on and my answer was always: NO!
And I'll keep it that way. Therefore, I won't support (or merge with) any kind of wannabe lineups, not now nor in the future. No tributes, no reunions, no further concerts under the name "Tangerine Dream".

People who know me in person also know that "opportunism" and "chumming up" are characteristics that I deeply abominate.

Tangerine Dream was my Dad and my Dad is dead and so is Tangerine Dream. It's that simple and it was bound to happen one day.

Thanks for listening, see you soon!

Best, Jerome
Wow! This guy seems so rancorous, doesn't he? Especially when he talks about "wannabe lineups". Then doesn't that automatically made him a wannabe when he was with his dad and with Paul Haslinger and with Iris, Linda, Throrsten, etc.? Even when I'm the first one to say that TD must not continue if Edgar is not there anymore, Jerome Froese's opinion on TD is the last opinion in the world I would ever care for, snce he is not TD and hasn't been part of it for a long time (what is it, more than ten years now?). He's not the boss and he doesn't have the last word on anything regarding this band. And just because he says TD is dead because his dad is, doesn't mean that's the truth. The problem is we're giving him an importance he clearly doesn't deserve, at least when it comes to these matters. Loom and his solo work are his business and that's it. TD is not. He should've used the words "for me" at least: As in "Tangerine Dream is dead... FOR ME" and "There'll be no tributes, no concerts, no reunions... FOR ME" or "with me."
Agreed.
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Jon wrote:
Donofrio_TD wrote:
multivit72 wrote:Regarding Tangerine Dream: In the past I got asked so many times if I would carry on the TD torch or if I would continue with TD when Edgar retires and so on and my answer was always: NO!
And I'll keep it that way. Therefore, I won't support (or merge with) any kind of wannabe lineups, not now nor in the future. No tributes, no reunions, no further concerts under the name "Tangerine Dream".

People who know me in person also know that "opportunism" and "chumming up" are characteristics that I deeply abominate.

Tangerine Dream was my Dad and my Dad is dead and so is Tangerine Dream. It's that simple and it was bound to happen one day.

Thanks for listening, see you soon!

Best, Jerome
Wow! This guy seems so rancorous, doesn't he? Especially when he talks about "wannabe lineups". Then doesn't that automatically made him a wannabe when he was with his dad and with Paul Haslinger and with Iris, Linda, Throrsten, etc.? Even when I'm the first one to say that TD must not continue if Edgar is not there anymore, Jerome Froese's opinion on TD is the last opinion in the world I would ever care for, snce he is not TD and hasn't been part of it for a long time (what is it, more than ten years now?). He's not the boss and he doesn't have the last word on anything regarding this band. And just because he says TD is dead because his dad is, doesn't mean that's the truth. The problem is we're giving him an importance he clearly doesn't deserve, at least when it comes to these matters. Loom and his solo work are his business and that's it. TD is not. He should've used the words "for me" at least: As in "Tangerine Dream is dead... FOR ME" and "There'll be no tributes, no concerts, no reunions... FOR ME" or "with me."
Agreed.
Well said, Donofrio_TD and Jon.
I'm excited to know what Peter Baumann will do, either within or outside the TD banner and I find Jerome's wording about Edgar's passing disrespectful.
Peter Baumann's first 2 solo albums were absolutely magnificent and if he can recapture that quality now, we should all rejoice
Network23

Post by Network23 »

Steve C wrote:I find Jerome's wording about Edgar's passing disrespectful.
There is an air of self import about him, isn't there? Particularly when he makes note of (yet another) TD comp that focuses on his time in the band before he offers his opinion on "wannabe lineups."

To me, there's nothing "wannabe" about Peter Baumann. Those two '70s albums of his are incredible. I can't wait to hear what he and Edgar were working on.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Network23 wrote:
Steve C wrote:I find Jerome's wording about Edgar's passing disrespectful.
There is an air of self import about him, isn't there? Particularly when he makes note of (yet another) TD comp that focuses on his time in the band before he offers his opinion on "wannabe lineups."

To me, there's nothing "wannabe" about Peter Baumann. Those two '70s albums of his are incredible. I can't wait to hear what he and Edgar were working on.
I'm not sure it is for any of us to say Jerome's words about his own father are disrespectful, but I can see why what he said may come across that way. Put it this way, how many thousands of emails, texts, blog posts and tweets over the years have been misinterpreted, caused offence, when no offence was intended?

Yeah, as I said in this forum before, the Baumann question does leave us excited and curious, and makes me wonder just what is involved, one more album of new music under the TD name...music that he and Edgar worked on? Kind of like a Blue Dawn album (that was just Edgar and Ralf Wadephul). Or something beyond that...

I too think Baumann has too much stature to ever be referred to as a "wannabe", although I maintain that my feelings (notwithstanding the Baumann lightning bolt!) are that Tangerine Dream is at an end. I suspect very much Jerome was NOT talking about Baumann when he said that. It's easy to pick holes in things and overthink what people say...something I'm doing myself of course :?

There's clearly history there with Jerome, and it's obvious that bad feeling occurred when he left TD in 2006. Edgar noted in an interview that Jerome and Thorsten did not get on. Musically, personally, or both, I don't know.

But as I've commented before, some of Jerome's humour (and in dark times, as anyone who has lost a loved one knows, sometimes to laugh is a form of release) is lost in translation. And whatever Jerome had said there would always be people who disagreed with his thoughts about whether TD has any future. Judging from the past, his comments are actually not surprising at all. His directness and honesty, and openness (he could have just said nothing publicly, as is his right), even if some fans disagree with him, should be noted and respected.

Perhaps. Maybe. In my opinion. I have given myself a headache :wink:
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

since I copy-and-pasted Jeromes Statement here, I feel a bit responsible for possible misinterpretations. I think the text reads quite different when you see it in his "original Environment" on his own FB page, meant as a Response to several requests and enquiries he obviously received. For example, since he obviously has closed the TD chapter for himself a Long time ago (except the last dream mixes ) , one could understand that he might get slightly annoyed that People Keep asking him now if he wants to Reform this band just after the funeral.
since this is foremost an update on his future activities, it just makes sense that he mentions his future Projects for recordings, releases etc.

so what I mean is, one should not overinterpret/judge too much simply based on this post
redziller

Post by redziller »

multivit72 wrote:since I copy-and-pasted Jeromes Statement here, I feel a bit responsible for possible misinterpretations. I think the text reads quite different when you see it in his "original Environment" on his own FB page, meant as a Response to several requests and enquiries he obviously received. For example, since he obviously has closed the TD chapter for himself a Long time ago (except the last dream mixes ) , one could understand that he might get slightly annoyed that People Keep asking him now if he wants to Reform this band just after the funeral.
since this is foremost an update on his future activities, it just makes sense that he mentions his future Projects for recordings, releases etc.

so what I mean is, one should not overinterpret/judge too much simply based on this post

Absolutely - before we pick apart JF's text we should remember English isn't his first language and his father has just died!
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:For more clarity... The quote in the box above is NOT MY QUOTE.... It was by someone replying to one of my messages

Please accept my apology! :oops: That was very sloppy quote editing on my part. I have made a correction in my previous post.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:For more clarity... The quote in the box above is NOT MY QUOTE.... It was by someone replying to one of my messages

Please accept my apology! :oops: That was very sloppy quote editing on my part. I have made a correction in my previous post.
Thanks Sfeari :)