What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Hipgnosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by Hipgnosis »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
sorcerer wrote:Are we talking Thorsten, Ulrich, Baumann here ??? For the continuation of the next TD chapter.

Oh wow , hope so 8) 8) 8) .
Well, we assume so from Peter's comments. Don't know about Hoshiko though...
Almost like saying the women don't matter ... and I think that it would take away a special feeling that has been in the music for more than 20 years ... too much male testosterone!

If Hoshiko, Linda or Isis don't want to be there ... I think the whole idea will suffer very badly, and it's collective psychic feeling will not be worth listening to. I do not see it being valuable if they are not there.

Honestly!

(A month later about Jerome)

Earlier I had stated that Jerome did not come up in a time when things were simpler and he could make his own life and living as easy as he can now with a small computer or laptop.

I'm hoping that Jerome comes off his anger and disappointments, that caused him to not work with the father anymore, albeit I will respect that he might want to do his own thing, and you and I will undoubtedly hear it when it happens.

You look back at the history of music (not historically correct btw, but as an example!), and Mozart's children did not follow him, Stravinsky's children did not follow him, and Beethoven's children did not follow him ... and sometimes you have the same thing in other arts ... Picasso's offsprings did not follow either. Dali's didn't either. You can continue this discussion forever ... so Jerome not wanting to follow those footsteps is quite OK with me, besides the fact that the very first 3 bars that he did on any piece in something that would continue being called "TD" or "Tangerine Dream" would likely get trashed so badly by a few of us, that he would lose his taste, touch and interest, anyway ... and PERSONALLY, I would not want him subjected to that ... it would highly unfair and sad!

He might, as a matter of rights and such, over see some production values, but if his own individual life and work takes off ... how the heck will he find the time?

All in all, it's a sad state of affairs, as you have "Tangerine Dream" that is a world class "composer", whose work is not about to be explored any more for a while, and it will wasted as time goes by, and I hope that this does not happen ... it would also be grossly unfair to say that Jerome is at fault ... nope ... he's just a child of the artist, not anything else.

All in all, many of us here, want to see the candle burn longer ... but the wax is gone, and the oil has already been consumed, and while I hope that the other folks can put something together, because there is nothing else out there like TD was, in the end, it is a form of music that will die off ... for lack of interest except for a handful of vociferous fans like us!

This is the 21st century ... all music is just a song ... and the greatest value in it all is how much it sells ... and the downside of a lot of that is that a lot of music is going to die because no one listens to it, and the "majority" thinks its not good. In that sense, one could say that Jerome is not helping, but again, that is very sad and grossly unfair ... and like I said, Jerome can not see the higher picture of it, but I'm quite comfortable with his choice.

On the other hand, the music falling off the face of the earth will only hurt all the business ventures and work that has taken almost 50 years to bring alive ... only to kill it in one swell foop! What else is new in the 21st century where the media kills everything it can!
2Tangmaster

Post by 2Tangmaster »

Wow, a lot of misunderstanding over here. The relation between Edgar and Jerome is in my opinion always been good, after all why did DMV been made after years Jerome departed from TD. I think this is the end of TD, there is no replacement for Edgar possible for the human he was.
Sad but for me this is reality.
Justin

Post by Justin »

a few things strike me with this discussion around the decision to continue with the Tangerine Dream project or not. I would imagine that Edgar had made some plans for this eventuality and if we use that as a start point then that's a good thing. Also, over the years there have been many tracks on various releases under the TD banner that from a listeners point of view seemed to be more the work of other members of the band at that time. Asmuch as I realise that TD at times seems just a cover for Edgar's solo work, I'm not sure that the TD project is completely tied to Edgar's involvement going forward. Lastly, let's just see/hear what any further material under the TD banner is like before we all jump ship. If, then you don't like it then move on to what you do.
Look for the sounds of Digital Horizons at http://digitalhorizons.bandcamp.com/ and on iTunes, CDBaby, Amazon Downloads and Reverbnation.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Justin wrote:a few things strike me with this discussion around the decision to continue with the Tangerine Dream project or not. I would imagine that Edgar had made some plans for this eventuality and if we use that as a start point then that's a good thing. Also, over the years there have been many tracks on various releases under the TD banner that from a listeners point of view seemed to be more the work of other members of the band at that time. Asmuch as I realise that TD at times seems just a cover for Edgar's solo work, I'm not sure that the TD project is completely tied to Edgar's involvement going forward. Lastly, let's just see/hear what any further material under the TD banner is like before we all jump ship. If, then you don't like it then move on to what you do.
Well said.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Justin wrote:...
I would imagine that Edgar had made some plans for this eventuality and if we use that as a start point then that's a good thing. ...

This is kinda strange and a wee bit sordid, but then, many of those surrealistics had a streak that many of us would call not only weird, but also ... pointed! Let's ask Bunuel about all those ... foot ... diversions! Or the use of the history of painting to make his point, culminating with Goya! And TD's new (and post EF album) album should be called "Le Phantome de la musique"? (I doubt this joke will go very far even here! or that the allusion is understood!)

I might have a will (half baked and half ashed!!!) but I can not even decide on anything except where I want my ashes dropped! PERIOD! The rest, is going to some friends, and I can not even tell you if they will respect and care for TD or KS as much as I did, and do.

What we might find is that there are hundreds of tapes and computer stuff saved ... that no one knows what to do with. And how to work those out ... and with whom! Or do we just release it as is, unfinished works 1 through 6 just like the highway stuff. Or Explorations 1 through 6.

Like you, I will wait and listen to the new things that come out and go from there, if I live that long. At 64, and watching all our "friends" leave us, is kinda sad, though I tend to say that I'm honored to have met them and known their art ... which has been a huge honor and guide to my own life! I kinda am not looking forward to seeing them all go, before I do, kinda thing ... it's too many tears ... but I have to tell you that I already have all that music committed to my soul, and I will never EVER miss a single note of it in my heart! So, in many ways, it doesn't matter to me, if Jerome is there or not, or if TD continues or not. But I find it sad to see folks talking about getting Peter back, or Chris, or Johannes, or Tom, or none, or Harry, or Thorsten, or ... but not Linda, or Hoshiko, or Isis ... and I looked the the contribution these ladies have made in the videos and in the CD's ... and I go ... wow ... they certainly don't look like nobodies to me! or why Edgar would choose them in the first place!

And this might be an issue with Jerome and the rest of the folks in TD ... they are running circles around him, and I do not think he knows music at the high level that many of these folks do, and he feels inferior and not appreciated. I understand that to a big degree, but him not taking the opportunity to learn more is a bit strange ... but hey ... he wants to do RAP, let him ... end of story! He might have just gotten fed up with the "lesson" attitude by everyone, which is protocol in these situations!

Is it the end or not?

I would rather it was ... but I would also like to see, a hundred years from now, that Tangerine Dream was an outstanding group with classical music compositions ... and for that, you, I, Jerome and everyone else, had a strong part in ... we should pat each other in the back and say ... a job well done my lovely friends ... I love you all forever!
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

... but not Linda, or Hoshiko, or Isis .
Not sure we want Isis involved...

IRIS, on the other hand ..... ;)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
... but not Linda, or Hoshiko, or Isis .
Not sure we want Isis involved...

IRIS, on the other hand ..... ;)
Hehehe!!! it was a slightly intended goof based on a bit of surrealism!

Thx
Jon

Post by Jon »

1. Message from Bianca, Thorsten, Ulrich & Hoshiko

Hi everyone,

It's still not easy to address some words to you as we all do miss Edgar immensely.....
But we think we owe you an explanation why we have decided to continue working together despite the painful loss of Edgar.

On numerous occasions over the past months Edgar explained his vision for what was to become the first album of the 'Quantum Years'. Some of the changes he suggested were rather radical ones, others more aiming towards an evolutionary progression of what's been there already.

As a consequence we (Edgar, Thorsten and Ulrich) had already begun working on material for this project - the initial plan was to get together at some point during the first half of this year and to create a joint record on the basis of those ideas.
It'll be the greatest challenge since we started making music to finish this project without Edgar's physical presence but due to the instructions he has already given us and the sketches he recorded, we feel that we should at least try to realize Edgar's vision.

We assure you that we'll do our best to produce a result that is as close as possible to what he would've wanted it to be.
We're also grateful that Peter Baumann (ex-member of TD) has agreed to support us with this project - he'll even be present during the 2nd half of a longer recording session that's currently been scheduled for this April.

Again, we're fully aware of the extreme challenge that this task represents - but we're also hoping that we'll manage to come up with a result that will satisfy Edgar - and you.
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

Jon wrote:1. Message from Bianca, Thorsten, Ulrich & Hoshiko

Hi everyone,

It's still not easy to address some words to you as we all do miss Edgar immensely.....
But we think we owe you an explanation why we have decided to continue working together despite the painful loss of Edgar.

On numerous occasions over the past months Edgar explained his vision for what was to become the first album of the 'Quantum Years'. Some of the changes he suggested were rather radical ones, others more aiming towards an evolutionary progression of what's been there already.

As a consequence we (Edgar, Thorsten and Ulrich) had already begun working on material for this project - the initial plan was to get together at some point during the first half of this year and to create a joint record on the basis of those ideas.
It'll be the greatest challenge since we started making music to finish this project without Edgar's physical presence but due to the instructions he has already given us and the sketches he recorded, we feel that we should at least try to realize Edgar's vision.

We assure you that we'll do our best to produce a result that is as close as possible to what he would've wanted it to be.
We're also grateful that Peter Baumann (ex-member of TD) has agreed to support us with this project - he'll even be present during the 2nd half of a longer recording session that's currently been scheduled for this April.

Again, we're fully aware of the extreme challenge that this task represents - but we're also hoping that we'll manage to come up with a result that will satisfy Edgar - and you.
Well, I'm glad for them, although at this point it's pretty much like "eah, whatever", to be honest. At least for me. Of course I'll look forward to whatever they want to keep releasing, but it's not my priority anymore.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Jon wrote:1. Message from Bianca, Thorsten, Ulrich & Hoshiko

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting this.

It's nice to see a bit more information on the whole thing, although I can not tell you that everyone is looking for a new recording. That it is, or was, a part of Edgar's vision is rather nice idea, however, having seen this first hand (famous dad), it usually ends up not working ... although I am also a writer, and there were things that seem to run in his work, that also shows in mine, though I have read very little of his work ... I don't do Portuguese that well! But some surrealistic threads did not go un-noticed. One of my dad's famous poems was about a minotaur ... and guess what the name of one of the Surrealistic magazine/publications was? And in the end, I wrote a poem (posted here on this board on the RIP thread) that is from a child's point of view, because many times I think and look at Edgar's fingers, as a bit of a child just having fun on the keyboard, and sometimes there is a result and sometimes there is not!

Honestly, and it took me years to put my own father in "perspective', I know that the way the public interest seems to work, would require some fast doings, however, for my tastes, I would rather it matured a bit and had the chance to gather flavor, like a good wine. I am certainly not in a hurry to hear anything, although I can already feel the heavy breathing ... how do I get paid by others, and I can relate to that actually!

Yeah, I would love to see a new sound, a new this and a new that ... but at this point I would rather that everyone would just appreciate the work, and concentrate on their part ... this is just as much about Edgar as it is about all of us, for me. And I want the very best that we all can appreciate and enjoy and live through!

Once again, thanks for the few words and I'm patient. I might fall away before it all comes around, but I was very clear on my feelings.

With much care and appreciation ... and I figured the book would arrive after I'm laid to rest anyway ... but the "experience" is already inside, and I am not even convinced that the book is going to add to it all ... some things in the music, small details, here and there, speak a lot more ... than words EVER will! We just don't hear it sometimes and have to have it spoon fed instead.
Dave Matthews

Post by Dave Matthews »

While Tangerine Dream was not the first band to embrace electronica, it rapidly became one of the most important and high-profile ones to "fly the flag" for the genre. As early as 1973 it was receiving airplay on BBC national radio and the vocal-less albums entered the UK rock charts.

For the next 20 years TD produced some truly great electronic rock albums, now regarded as forming their "classic" period.

But nothing lasts forever and, for me, TD ran out of steam around 1996. I have listened to almost every single studio album they have produced since then ("Goblin's Club" onwards) and found them to be miserably, repetitively bland and utterly uninspiring. Play-once-and-forget muzak. Compounding this was a what seemed like a "sausage-factory" mentality: quantity over quality.

So should Edgar's tragic passing be a deserved and final end to TD? No!!! Edgar's death should provide a re-birth. An opportunity for its members to examine what made TD so great - and, remember, critically successful - in the 1970s and 80s. To recapture that spirit of experimentation and classicism in pushing back the boundaries of rock music.

I've been listening to Jerome's solo and Loom stuff recently and, my goodness, some of it so, so, so much better than anything TD has produced in the last two decades. Of course it still doesn't come close to classic Tangs but I can hear at least a seed of something that could evolve into greatness... particularly if any one of Peter Baumann, Chris Franke or Paul Haslinger would consider joining him and Johannes. A line-up of Froese, Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling & Haslinger for the 21st century? Now that sounds like a great idea to me! Not so much to expunge Edgar but to change direction again to return to what made the group so irresistably great when Edgar was at his height... and not just for our small, select "club" but for a wider - much wider - global audience, as it was in that golden era.

It's sad to read Jerome's own determination that TD will not continue - there seems to be some vitriol there. Reading "between the lines" seems to confirm that he fell out with Edgar and/or other band members (professionally if not personally). Indeed that was a rumour behind the departure of other past members such as Chris Franke and Paul Haslinger. Either way, assuming that Edgar legally owned the "Tangerine Dream" name, I do hope this will not cause problems between Jerome and Bianca...

Let's assume that TD does continue - at least in the short-term. I've mentioned the names of several of its key past members and would welcome their return. By the same token, I'm not suggesting for a second that any of the current members should leave. I believe that, free of Edgar, they can really start to creatively "breathe" as a group now. I recall that when Linda Spa originally joined TD in 1993, there was a terrible backlash from some fans: "A girl in Tangerine Dream?!!", "Why do you need a saxophone?!!" were common cries. But actually right from her first guest appearance on "Turn of the Tides", Linda's contributions enhanced the tracks greatly. (Indeed her predecessor Hubert Waldner did a similarly fantastic job.) If anything, I think her talents have been largely wasted in the group since 1996.

A lot of what I have said above will come across as terribly disrespectful to Edgar, particularly given his passing. He has to be recognised for his great creation and gift to music and his determination in maintaining one of the best and long-lived rock bands in the world. But, in direct contrast to what many here have said, TD *wasn't* simply Edgar: it needed a collection of ace musicians - and, crucially, all contributing and participating on an *equal* footing - to make TD the amazing band it once was. I believe it can happen again, providing whoever remains and/or (re-)joins understands what made it such a great band originally.

Of course I'm not advocating that they should return to filling their studio with ancient, massive, heavy, temperamental analogue synths. It's actually the compositional skills and imagination that really matter - and what need to be rejuvenated. The synths were just tools to realise those ideas. Indeed listening to "Force Majeure", "Underwater Sunlight" and a number of their 1990s albums, "old-fashioned" instruments such as the guitar, piano and sax were just as important as any electronic wizardry.

It is at least gladdening to hear that the Quantum project is possibly going ahead (despite Jerome's apparent views on TD's viability). I suspect that will be the "make or break" for TD. If it truly turns out to be something different and exciting as Edgar hinted, then in that case, I'd say don't let TD die: "Keep the dream alive!". On the other hand if it just becomes yet another dreary "album by numbers", then, yes, it will be time to bury TD forever.
ant

Post by ant »

:? I was not so keen on some of the early 90's albums but since then there have been many fine albums with excellent music on them. TD has always had 'periods' through the years, some of which you will have loved and some you won't but bland and uninspiring is definitely not true. The Quantum Years was another 'period' in Edgar's mind and one I am truly looking forward to. :)
Biggus Dickus
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Dave Matthews wrote:While Tangerine Dream was not the first band to embrace electronica, it rapidly became one of the most important and high-profile ones to "fly the flag" for the genre. As early as 1973 it was receiving airplay on BBC national radio and the vocal-less albums entered the UK rock charts.

For the next 20 years TD produced some truly great electronic rock albums, now regarded as forming their "classic" period.

But nothing lasts forever and, for me, TD ran out of steam around 1996. I have listened to almost every single studio album they have produced since then ("Goblin's Club" onwards) and found them to be miserably, repetitively bland and utterly uninspiring. Play-once-and-forget muzak. Compounding this was a what seemed like a "sausage-factory" mentality: quantity over quality.

So should Edgar's tragic passing be a deserved and final end to TD? No!!! Edgar's death should provide a re-birth. An opportunity for its members to examine what made TD so great - and, remember, critically successful - in the 1970s and 80s. To recapture that spirit of experimentation and classicism in pushing back the boundaries of rock music.

I've been listening to Jerome's solo and Loom stuff recently and, my goodness, some of it so, so, so much better than anything TD has produced in the last two decades. Of course it still doesn't come close to classic Tangs but I can hear at least a seed of something that could evolve into greatness... particularly if any one of Peter Baumann, Chris Franke or Paul Haslinger would consider joining him and Johannes. A line-up of Froese, Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling & Haslinger for the 21st century? Now that sounds like a great idea to me! Not so much to expunge Edgar but to change direction again to return to what made the group so irresistably great when Edgar was at his height... and not just for our small, select "club" but for a wider - much wider - global audience, as it was in that golden era.

It's sad to read Jerome's own determination that TD will not continue - there seems to be some vitriol there. Reading "between the lines" seems to confirm that he fell out with Edgar and/or other band members (professionally if not personally). Indeed that was a rumour behind the departure of other past members such as Chris Franke and Paul Haslinger. Either way, assuming that Edgar legally owned the "Tangerine Dream" name, I do hope this will not cause problems between Jerome and Bianca...

Let's assume that TD does continue - at least in the short-term. I've mentioned the names of several of its key past members and would welcome their return. By the same token, I'm not suggesting for a second that any of the current members should leave. I believe that, free of Edgar, they can really start to creatively "breathe" as a group now. I recall that when Linda Spa originally joined TD in 1993, there was a terrible backlash from some fans: "A girl in Tangerine Dream?!!", "Why do you need a saxophone?!!" were common cries. But actually right from her first guest appearance on "Turn of the Tides", Linda's contributions enhanced the tracks greatly. (Indeed her predecessor Hubert Waldner did a similarly fantastic job.) If anything, I think her talents have been largely wasted in the group since 1996.

A lot of what I have said above will come across as terribly disrespectful to Edgar, particularly given his passing. He has to be recognised for his great creation and gift to music and his determination in maintaining one of the best and long-lived rock bands in the world. But, in direct contrast to what many here have said, TD *wasn't* simply Edgar: it needed a collection of ace musicians - and, crucially, all contributing and participating on an *equal* footing - to make TD the amazing band it once was. I believe it can happen again, providing whoever remains and/or (re-)joins understands what made it such a great band originally.

Of course I'm not advocating that they should return to filling their studio with ancient, massive, heavy, temperamental analogue synths. It's actually the compositional skills and imagination that really matter - and what need to be rejuvenated. The synths were just tools to realise those ideas. Indeed listening to "Force Majeure", "Underwater Sunlight" and a number of their 1990s albums, "old-fashioned" instruments such as the guitar, piano and sax were just as important as any electronic wizardry.

It is at least gladdening to hear that the Quantum project is possibly going ahead (despite Jerome's apparent views on TD's viability). I suspect that will be the "make or break" for TD. If it truly turns out to be something different and exciting as Edgar hinted, then in that case, I'd say don't let TD die: "Keep the dream alive!". On the other hand if it just becomes yet another dreary "album by numbers", then, yes, it will be time to bury TD forever.
A very thoughtful piece, Dave - well said. I'm not as scathing about the post 1990's work as you are - there are some worthy pieces on most TD albums, in my opinion, but the Band from the end of the 80's to 2014 was a hell of a different proposition to the ground breaking music which was produced in the 70's and the 80's.

I'm looking forward to the new album with Peter Baumann's input but I remember how disappointed I was in his solo work after the magnificent Romance 76 and Transharmonic nights.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Dave Matthews wrote:While Tangerine Dream was not the first band to embrace electronica, it rapidly became one of the most important and high-profile ones to "fly the flag" for the genre.
I was there much earlier than this ... ATEM to be precise and PHAEDRA actually on the same day in late 1972, or early 1973.

It was my first foray into this medium, although I was already aware of some electronic stuff like Beaver and Krause, and some Film Soundtrax (Forbidden PLanet being a major one), and then even such things as George Harrison's experiment. I did not care for the Carlos thing and found it boring. And when ELP started using the synthesizer -- right from day one, as an instrument, instead of a sampler, I was hooked. Tomita became my #1 by the time that his 2nd album came out!

TD in those days, created spheres and experiences, all of which were a "sonic experience", whereas today's synthesists are simply creating orchestral muzak by not working the new and original sounds that the synthesizer could help you create. To me, that is what defined the instrument. Today, since almost no one knows how to use it as an instrument on its own, and simply as a replacement for another instrument for the band, I do not consider a lot of the music out there that is supposed to be electronic that good ... it is just another form of muzak.

This is, where TD was very valuable for my experience. The sounds took me away and they took me to many places that even my dreams and visions have never seen, and not always in closed eyes! I don't know, if you can fathom this or have any idea what all this is like ... but it is something that you want to see and hold on to ... and something that inspires you to an art of some form or other.

I will agree, that to an extent, a lot of the later TD work in the past 20 years, could be ... considered not as good, or as important, because the earlier work had been so impressive and bombastic, that we ended up getting spoiled and not know how to enjoy something that is not as impressive and bombastic ... and I might even suggest/agree, that this probably happened because it might not have been something that Edgar allowed the other folks as much freedom, as the original folks did have and apparently enjoyed for some time, and the live albums show it in those days, but they also show some gross inconsistencies in their work, and sometimes the piece simply fell apart ... or perhaps it was intended to do so, as we love to say in theater or film, when there is an error ... it was a part of it all!

In this sense, the use of the more conventional violin, saxophone and percussion ... FOR ME ... changed the impetus that the music had for me, but there was a lot of far out stuff, and (for example) the album 220 Volt Live is a favorite of mine, because it is an exquisite and exceptional concert. But 5 to 10 years later, seeing the PHAEDRA Anniversary concert, it was interesting to see, that Edgar and the folks, obviously did not interpret the music their music the same way you and I do. The synth was a "new" instrument 45/40 years ago ... the synth today is no longer used as a "new" instrument for an orchestral suite. So you enjoy the introductory effects, and then the music kinda fades away ... and becomes just like all the other music!

I found that weird.

Jerome ... compare Jerome's use of 2 or 3 synths, to that of early TD and then late TD. I think Jerome is intentionally trying to create something out of sounds, and he is turning those sounds into a sample that he can change the notes with ... and again, it goes back to the old concept ... the synth becomes a sampler, not an instrument ... you used to "follow" that sound ... now it's gone before you even go 4 notes anyway, and the impression ... loses a lot of its strength. Go listen to "O, Lucky Man" again ... and that depth was something that took you away ... and look at how slow it was ... !!! To me, jerome, will not likely be a great composer ... because everything he has done is centered around a song concept ... start it and end it on the same breath and direction. Unffortunately, this was the TD of its last 30 years ... when it all became just a nice piece of pretty music, and the KABOOOOOMMMM that used to wake you up (literally or otherwise) was gone. Dead. (Except that whip, maybe!)

Makes you wonder ... if Jerome will ever be able to create his first Symphony ... and I do not think so and do not expect him to. As for TD, they had all their symphonies in the early days ... and spent the rest of the time figuring out how they did that ... but as time went by, for all the talent that their musician guests had, in the end ... they were not exactly used very well, or they did not know or had any idea what "improvisation" was really about, other than meandering through the scales and various notes in their instrument!

TD started out way beyond that!

I don't think that any member left in there, today, knows/understands that and has any idea how to get back there in order to be able to move forward. At this point, something that has a nice set of sequences that bring up the past might be better ... than more keyboard designed muzak. I am not sure that any of the musicians listed, other than Peter, have any idea how to improvise ... "out of music" ... in other words, away from the notes and chords ... and still help define and create something new. And this is what has been missing!

So, trying to use what is left that was recorded by Edgar, how will the folks color it? ... creating some harmony or tempo off Edgar's moments ... and I'm not sure this is a good thing. I actually think that we should start with sound effect sounds backwards and inside out, and then apply them to Edgar's moments, and now let's see the true surrealism of the experience ... but I think that too many folks will freak out hearing this. And because of it we will never hear another Mysterious Semblance into the Realm of Nomansmind!
exit81

Post by exit81 »

I feel that some of us are missing part of the entire philosophy of TD's musical output. And this is something I heard Edgar say several times in interviews....that the music TD produce at any one time is a direct result/combination of the creative minds in the band at that moment. Band members will come and go, but the creative co-efficient is what is important. But for this philosphy to have any intergrity and meaning, it HAS to include Edgar. And it HAS to include a time when Edgar is no longer with the band. Therefore, as far as the philosophy is concerned, a TD without Edgar is as valid as any line-up throughout their history. I'm not saying this is my opinion, I'm saying this was Edgar's philosophy towards TD's musical heritage, and they were HIS very carefully chosen words. Yes of cousre he was TD's driving force and spokesman throughout its history, and nothing can ever change that. But part of that role was to define and cultivate the theory behind the band's music, a theory which always described the band's creative force as an organic process fuelled by its members; members who come and go year after year, constantly altering the band's dynamic, style and sound. And this is precisely why we should respect Edgar's entire philosphy by supporting the band now more than ever. Because this is a time when the whole philosophy will be tested like never before. And now is the time when the band needs us to be more open minded than ever before.