What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

geehigh
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: What do you think / wish: is this the end of TD?

Post by geehigh »

Donofrio_TD wrote:
geehigh wrote:Well, the elephant in the room here is that it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is). What happens next will be what happens.

Nothing lasts forever. Whichever way the decision falls there's one heck of a legacy to enjoy.
Nobody ever said anything about us fans being the ones who were going to decide TD's future. We were just giving some opinions and thoughts, so you're kind of pointing out the obvious there.
Hey congratulations, you're getting this 'obvious' idea. What gave it away: was it the phrase 'The elephant in the room is' or ' it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is)'? :D

OK - perhaps my point wasn't clear. I also didn't say that fans were going to be the ones to decide TD's future (care to point out where I did say that?). What was making me smirk a litlle was the way some fans talking about what they are going to do if the TD estate do this or that, as if this was going to influence any decision by the breadth of an atom. A classic illustration of this is your later contribution in the very same post:
Donofrio_TD wrote:If they continue as "Tangerine Dream" then I'll also have to think VERY carefully if I'm done with "the band" or not. Unless they're half as worth it on their own as they were with Edgar (and a few of the last records suggest that they kind of dropped the ball as well), I'm not buying anything with the TD label anymore. I know I'll be alone in this, but that's how I see it.

And, oh man, I hate to say this, but as much as I love Bianca and as much as she was probably Edgar's main reason for everything in this world, she's not a musician and she's not needed to continue anything at all. Edgar's legacy has its own life, its own memory and its own dignity. Nobody can touch it, not even she who was his wife and his immediate support and artwork designer, etc. If you really want an act out of true "dignity", leave the TD label alone. Close the book. Let it rest. Don't attempt to cash in on it no more. That would honestly be some sort of a foul play, an "uncool" move. At least make another band with another name so the fans can choose whether or not to continue listening to your stuff and buying it or not. Pay tribute to Edgar if you want, but, whatever you do, please do not destroy his label. Instead of carefully considering "next releases as TD", better carefully consider getting out of TD altogether. The strong link of the band, THE ONLY LINK, REALLY, is now in our memories forever. His legacy in our hearts, minds & speakers and in our own descendants' hearts, minds & speakers. So please just stop.
Well that may also be merely an 'opinion and a thought', but the strength of the above comment also tends to go a tad beyond discussion doesn't it? At the very least it leans toward an implicit influence - either on the TD estate or on the opinion of other fans - don't you think? So maybe my 'obvious' point was not quite so obvious to you after all (entitled to your position as you most certainly are).

Perhaps I should now add to my quote 'as backed up by the latest TD newsletter'. :mrgreen:

As to what happens next...

{edited - Typo's - sorry :) }
Last edited by geehigh on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geehigh

Post by geehigh »

I notice Thorsten Q and Chris H are touring this Feb / March http://www.picture-palace-music.com/3.htm

Maybe they've decided?
ant

Post by ant »

:) I doubt if anything has been decided yet. I would imagine these dates were arranged some time ago. I think it will take some time for them to reach a decision on this. It is not going to happen overnight. The fact that Thorsten has some gigs arranged doesn't mean anything, afterall, the Edgar tribute concert is likely to be the only gig to arrange at the moment at that is going to take some planning I would think. Let's just wait and see. :)
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Looking forward to, and hoping for, much more music from TD. Both from the archives and new! :D
TimeActor

Post by TimeActor »

Hello to all,

i´m a long time TD Fan / listener about 36 years when i was 15 or 16 years old - now i´m 52 years old. My very first TD Album was Rubicon.

I think with this grievous loss of Edgar (which makes me very angry) TD wouldn´t be as before and should not continue.
TD is for me with the members: Edgar Froese, Peter Baumann, Chris Franke, Johannes Schmoelling and Paul Haslinger.
It has nothing to do with the last members but without Edgar it isn´t Tangerine Dream!

Cheers to all TD Fans
Martin
Wer nicht kann was er will muss das wollen was er kann
(Leonardo Da Vinci)
geehigh

Post by geehigh »

ant wrote::) I doubt if anything has been decided yet. I would imagine these dates were arranged some time ago. I think it will take some time for them to reach a decision on this. It is not going to happen overnight. The fact that Thorsten has some gigs arranged doesn't mean anything, afterall, the Edgar tribute concert is likely to be the only gig to arrange at the moment at that is going to take some planning I would think. Let's just wait and see. :)
:twisted: Hi ant - Of course you are correct - I just put that in there to show that life goes on, and so do events. Things are getting a touch serious around here... :twisted:
TimeActor wrote:Hello to all,

i´m a long time TD Fan / listener about 36 years when i was 15 or 16 years old - now i´m 52 years old. My very first TD Album was Rubicon.

I think with this grievous loss of Edgar (which makes me very angry) TD wouldn´t be as before and should not continue.
TD is for me with the members: Edgar Froese, Peter Baumann, Chris Franke, Johannes Schmoelling and Paul Haslinger.
It has nothing to do with the last members but without Edgar it isn´t Tangerine Dream!

Cheers to all TD Fans
Martin
Hi Martin :D

We're birds of a feather. I'm 56 and my first album was Ricochet, with Rubycon following pretty damn swiftly afterwards! 8)

Hey, don't be angry at the loss of Edgar - be happy we had him for as long as we did. Too many talented people didn't reach anywhere near his age or realised a fraction of their amibitions.

As for the band I'm with you. I just can't see why any artist would want to shackle themselves to the TD brand (unless it's for cash - an incentive not to be dismissed). To me it's just silly - Any continuity would be mythical - and no matter how great the work it will always be under the E Froese shadow. Who needs that?

Money has to be in the equation somewhere though, regardless of how 'pure' (god what a wretched word) the artistic legacy some folks would want it to be - The TD brand still needs to be run otherwise the legacy vanishes too.

The estate will do what it will do. Let's see what emerges.

Nice to meet you!

Best

Graham :D
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

geehigh wrote:
Donofrio_TD wrote:
geehigh wrote:Well, the elephant in the room here is that it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is). What happens next will be what happens.

Nothing lasts forever. Whichever way the decision falls there's one heck of a legacy to enjoy.
Nobody ever said anything about us fans being the ones who were going to decide TD's future. We were just giving some opinions and thoughts, so you're kind of pointing out the obvious there.
Hey congratulations, you're getting this 'obvious' idea. What gave it away: was it the phrase 'The elephant in the room is' or ' it's not for the admirers of Tangerine Dream to say what happens next - other than for the purposes of an interesting discussion (which this most certainly is)'? :D

OK - perhaps my point wasn't clear. I also didn't say that fans were going to be the ones to decide TD's future (care to point out where I did say that?). What was making me smirk a litlle was the way some fans talking about what they are going to do if the TD estate do this or that, as if this was going to influence any decision by the breadth of an atom. A classic illustration of this is your later contribution in the very same post:
Donofrio_TD wrote:If they continue as "Tangerine Dream" then I'll also have to think VERY carefully if I'm done with "the band" or not. Unless they're half as worth it on their own as they were with Edgar (and a few of the last records suggest that they kind of dropped the ball as well), I'm not buying anything with the TD label anymore. I know I'll be alone in this, but that's how I see it.

And, oh man, I hate to say this, but as much as I love Bianca and as much as she was probably Edgar's main reason for everything in this world, she's not a musician and she's not needed to continue anything at all. Edgar's legacy has its own life, its own memory and its own dignity. Nobody can touch it, not even she who was his wife and his immediate support and artwork designer, etc. If you really want an act out of true "dignity", leave the TD label alone. Close the book. Let it rest. Don't attempt to cash in on it no more. That would honestly be some sort of a foul play, an "uncool" move. At least make another band with another name so the fans can choose whether or not to continue listening to your stuff and buying it or not. Pay tribute to Edgar if you want, but, whatever you do, please do not destroy his label. Instead of carefully considering "next releases as TD", better carefully consider getting out of TD altogether. The strong link of the band, THE ONLY LINK, REALLY, is now in our memories forever. His legacy in our hearts, minds & speakers and in our own descendants' hearts, minds & speakers. So please just stop.
Well that may also be merely an 'opinion and a thought', but the strength of the above comment also tends to go a tad beyond discussion doesn't it? At the very least it leans toward an implicit influence - either on the TD estate or on the opinion of other fans - don't you think? So maybe my 'obvious' point was not quite so obvious to you after all (entitled to your position as you most certainly are).

Perhaps I should now add to my quote 'as backed up by the latest TD newsletter'. :mrgreen:

As to what happens next...

{edited - Typo's - sorry :) }
Hey, congratulations for figuring out that they were only my opinions and my thoughts, Mr. Obvious. :P Hehe!! No harm intended, man. Don't take anything so seriously here. In this forum I'm an Internet nobody, after all. Nor Bianca, nor Thorsten, nor Ulrich will ever come over here and read me and then decide whatever they plan to do next based on whatever bum bum I cared to write a few hours ago in this magnificent little program. And as for the "strength" of my comments, well, they have as much as you want them to have. Look at all the other fellows: They dismiss me/ignore me/overlook me because they already know me well (I've been around here for quite some time now) and they know I'm almost always the negative one here. Seriously, ask anybody and they'll tell you I'm known as the extreme 'no-no' guy..., that's if they care to use such "nice" words, haha!! But it looks like you're new to this forum, so you had to be informed. Welcome to this forum, by the way!!
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

A very fine example of why I have the opinion that the dream could carry on is the last track of the latest release; Le Combat Des Épées (Director's Cut). What a great Tangerine Dream track!
Yes, there is definitely a chance. But if any band can think beyond boundaries it's TD. It's about time someone is brave enough to say that a band (some bands) are made to continue in different constellations no matter what happens. Tangerine Dream has proven it before. Why not again? Tangerine Dream is more than a band. It's a concept and a way of thinking. Edgar's philosophy can continue in others. In new and interesting projects. If it was his will.
We can only wait and see.
geehigh

Post by geehigh »

Donofrio_TD wrote: Hey, congratulations for figuring out that they were only my opinions and my thoughts, Mr. Obvious. :P Hehe!! No harm intended, man. Don't take anything so seriously here. In this forum I'm an Internet nobody, after all. Nor Bianca, nor Thorsten, nor Ulrich will ever come over here and read me and then decide whatever they plan to do next based on whatever bum bum I cared to write a few hours ago in this magnificent little program. And as for the "strength" of my comments, well, they have as much as you want them to have. Look at all the other fellows: They dismiss me/ignore me/overlook me because they already know me well (I've been around here for quite some time now) and they know I'm almost always the negative one here. Seriously, ask anybody and they'll tell you I'm known as the extreme 'no-no' guy..., that's if they care to use such "nice" words, haha!! But it looks like you're new to this forum, so you had to be informed. Welcome to this forum, by the way!!
LOL - I don't know how anyone could possibly ignore you! :P

Thanks for the welcome - Consider a glass raised!

I am done here though anyway - I just wanted to touch base with admirers of a band that is no more; and to acknowledge the passing of a group that for a brief period held a unique place in my heart.

Mr. Froese’s passing seemed like the ideal time to do this.

TD (together with Frank Zappa) provided a springboard for music appreciation which has stayed with me throughout my life, and is something that I still treasure. So it was good to pop in and say hello.

Fans should only be taken in small doses however, and never internally. I can’t do tribes. My late father (a Second World War veteran) brought me up that way: It drives me crazy.

I therefore wish all TD admirers peace and happiness, and continued enjoyment of the music. 8)

All the best

Graham.
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

If TD carry on, I will still buy every release they make. Edgar's essence will always be behind the name Tangerine Dream.
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Well it is going to be interesting to see what happens no matter what.

And especially interesting to see what music is released , hopefully some new stuff with Edgar's last touch . Who knows how much TD managed to get done in the studio recently.

Personally I am really looking forward to hearing it. Along with hopefully some unreleased older material and previously unheard masterpieces from the past . Who knows !!

The Tangerine Dream will live forever, for me anyway, I will never stop listening.
zakowitz

Post by zakowitz »

Damn.. I am very sad to hear of Edgar's rapture. His vision was a glimpse of what my loins hope for
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Are we talking Thorsten, Ulrich, Baumann here ??? For the continuation of the next TD chapter.

Oh wow , hope so 8) 8) 8) .
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

sorcerer wrote:Are we talking Thorsten, Ulrich, Baumann here ??? For the continuation of the next TD chapter.

Oh wow , hope so 8) 8) 8) .
Well, we assume so from Peter's comments. Don't know about Hoshiko though...
tdfan

Post by tdfan »

Please show Edgar some respect and let his creation Tangerine Dream be a finished story. It's ok with a continuation under another name even if it is like

Tangerine Dream II
New Dream
The Dream Followers

or whatever...