FORCE MAJEURE - THE BOOK

32 years + counting
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

FORCE MAJEURE - THE BOOK

Post by 32 years + counting »

It seems the previous thread - started several years back - was mostly about people happy to hear the book was coming, and their efforts to order / receive it, so I thought I'd start a fresh one about the actual content.

Now it's here, for those of us lucky so far to receive it.

I'm only a quarter of the way in, it's very dense print wise, but the first thing that strikes me is just how funny it is.

Edgar was always a 'thinker' - see early interviews in magazines like EUROCK etc - but, in between interesting and often prescient philosophical musings and reflections, are just great stories and observations from the road and various recording sessions, which, if anyone hadn't already figured out, reveal the music industry yet again to be pretty much flat out bonkers!

How anyone of an artistic bent can survive it is beyond me.

One of the most interesting and surprising stories so far is how Steve Joliffe actually joined the band incredibly early on, only to be heartbroken and leave, due to a random accident.

I look forward to reading more and hearing other people's thoughts.
Insvims

Re: FORCE MAJEURE - THE BOOK

Post by Insvims »

Just started reading, and only a couple of pages into chapter 1 it is extremely pleasureable! I will spend a long time with this book, reading Edgar's wonderful and philosophical words slowly. It is a big, heavy and beautiful book, but I hope there will also be a paperback and even a Kindle version available sometime in the future.
Very well done, Edgar and Bianca!
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

You can see pictures of Force Majeure here :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
François from Paris
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Finished chapter 1. Wow, there is a lot of text on each page here. I read 8 pages and it felt like I have read 30, or something. I read slowly, to make as much meaning as possible from each sentence. English is not my native language, and even though most of the novels I read are in English this book is still full of strange words. I love every word, but it will take time.

At the end of chapter 1 there was a very strange event happening regarding the grand piano in the water. It's almost hard to believe such things could happen, but after reading about Dalí's parties I don't doubt Edgar's memory, which seems to be excellent all those years later. I can understand very well that such experiences really contributed to igniting the spark and the inspiration for all the wonderful music that Edgar created in the next 50 years. I am really impressed by the details in the book. If everything is word for word like it happened, or if he have taken some artistic liberties, I don't know. But this book is really amazing!
I hope you all get it soon, if you have not already.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

We all know that this forum is almost dead now. Unfortunately! But still, now the book is out, most have maybe got it, and still there is no activity!? Strange.
Well, anyway... I am 70 pages in. Just started the long chapter about David Bowie (the second longest chapter in the book). I enjoy every word. The thing that strikes me is how extremely well Edgar's memory must have been. Either that, or he made extremely detailed notes of everything in his musical life from the 60's and onwards. I mean, personally I can't reconstruct a dialogue I had last week, but Edgar writes down dialoges from 40 years back. Amazing!

How are you enjoying the book so far? Any opinions?
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Yup, real shame how numerous posters bailed out on the official TD forum. Noticed this even more when you bumped the Ashra thread the other day.

In respect of the book , despite being one of the early receivers of same, I have not even started it due to some serious life events. Ridiculous but true. I intend commencing this evening hopefully and I am seriously looking forward to it. I wil be playing the excellent new album when reading :D
Jon

Post by Jon »

I just read the chapter on John Peel. Clearly a person Edgar had great admiration for. But I agree with the individual who wrote here that Edgar doesn't seem to have too many happy memories.

After having read the first chapter on Dali I felt Edgar's language was extremely complicated. But strangely, after the first chapter I feel he is easier to understand and the language is simpler.

Lots of funny stories and details, that's for sure. But the size of the book is peculiar. Should have been more pages, and a smaller book, size-wise.