Klaus Schulze

NAVEL OF LIGHT
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Klaus Schulze

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

taken the plunge today, its not enough that there are tons of TD offerings coming out in june/july but i picked up Blackdance by Klaus Schulze (remastered, with bonus track) for £5 !

My schulze collection is lagging behind a bit, i got Dresden, Royal Fest.Hall 1+2 and Babel.

My dad has Blackdance on vinyl somewhere in his vaults so i thought id renew my interests in this album.

Anyone got any recommendations for future purchases?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Timewind,Moondawn and Picture Music 8) Dont Miss Em :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Agree with the above, for me Timewind is his masterpiece (what a year 1975 was!), but also "X", Live and Mirage are essential listening.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Thanks for the tips guys. From reading around on this forum and other places, TIMEWIND seems to be a favorite so thats next on my shopping list, just behind TD's next releases unless i find it for such a bargain like i did Blackdance!

Since i got home from work i decided to have a bit of an E~Fest of my own.

Heres my playlist:

Dresden(disc two) ~ Klaus Schulze
Mundus Subterraneus ~ Lightwave
New Age Of Earth ~ Manuel Gottsching(Ash ra Tempel)
Views From A Red Train ~ T.D.

:-) nice evening indoors eh? :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

the 80's stuff is best, honestly all that 70's is overated
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

24db wrote:the 80's stuff is best, honestly all that 70's is overated
Do you mean the Schulze' material or my playlist?
:-)
24db

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:
no I mean Klaus's stuff...seriously checkout Audentity and Transfer especially, I rate them far higher than his 70's stuff (I think that iit was here that Klaus was really creating a new soundscape IMHO). Audentity especially is a brilliant double album, covering almost every style, perussive, melodic, sequencer, avant garde bits, funky!!!...plus you get some brilliant Cello and some even greater drumming from Michael Shrieve (Ex-Santanna)
24db

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:
btw respect for listening to Lightwave
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Thanks! Love the above mentioned album. Very dark in places!

Its the only album i own by Lightwave, again...any other recommendations for further listening by Lightwave.

And Ashra Tempel while we're at it?

jacob

Post by jacob »

I think KS' albums up to and including X, ranks amongst the finest examples of music, ever!
Jacob's Tangerine Dream Blog
http://tangerinedream.pertou.dk/
24db

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:Thanks! Love the above mentioned album. Very dark in places!

Its the only album i own by Lightwave, again...any other recommendations for further listening by Lightwave.

And Ashra Tempel while we're at it?

Lightwave? yep...look for Nachtmusik (sp?) and Tycho Brahe (sp?)...the first is very dark indeed, a bit like the Coma Virus project that Paul Haslinger also played on (well he plays with Lightwave as well). TB also has shorter tracks. The group also have two tracks on a French Compliation called Nunc music or something like that (I should check these things), personally I like these two tracks the best. There's also two or three early tapes that Ultima Thule put out (the record shop in Leicester I mean), I'd imagine these aren't available anymore.

Ash Ra Tempel...hmmm the early albums are either long ambient tracks or even longer rhythmic kraut-rock like tracks...about as funky as an army band playing mozart (the self titled first album especially). The later albums start a progression towards short tracks with more obvious melodies....and eventually just end up being Manuel on his own...the group changes name to Ashra and they ruin it all ;) :D no seriously it just becomes even more melodic and a bit throw-away...nice enough though
Last edited by 24db on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Thanks 24db...will check those out.

First heard Ashra/M.G. in a small shop in Camden market. I asked the owner what it was he was playing. When he told me what it was and the price, i thought id take a chance.

Just added another to my evenings playlist:

Departure From The Northern Wasteland ~ Michael Hoenig.
24db

Post by 24db »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:Thanks 24db...will check those out.

First heard Ashra/M.G. in a small shop in Camden market. I asked the owner what it was he was playing. When he told me what it was and the price, i thought id take a chance.

Just added another to my evenings playlist:

Departure From The Northern Wasteland ~ Michael Hoenig.
Look for the cheap and cheerful 'Sunrain' compilation that Virgin put out quite a few years back, that's a good overview of Ashra's stuff. That reminds me I saw Manuel's E2 E4 the other day in Saturn records in Alexander Platz (a remastered version), strange how influencial this record became, it was slaughtered by some critics when it came out....hell it takes about 31 minutes for the guitar to kick in ;)
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

24db wrote:
NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:
no I mean Klaus's stuff...seriously checkout Audentity and Transfer especially, I rate them far higher than his 70's stuff (I think that iit was here that Klaus was really creating a new soundscape IMHO). Audentity especially is a brilliant double album, covering almost every style, perussive, melodic, sequencer, avant garde bits, funky!!!...plus you get some brilliant Cello and some even greater drumming from Michael Shrieve (Ex-Santanna)
I'd agree with Audentity - it certainly is a classic, I also love the Poland Live album which is essentially live versions of this with some great soloing - but don't expect a polished effort like TD's - it's really quite raw.

For something slightly different you could also try "Dreams" and "En-Trance" which have shorter tracks and show a different side to KS although beware dodgy vocals on one track on Dreams!

If you like Manuel Gottsching you could try "In Blue" with him on one long track - a lot of people rate this but I find it a bit of a slog although MG's guitar work is as always brilliant.

Finally I think Moonlake" his last but one is a superb more contemporary effort, I find it more accessible than Kontinuum