Johannes Schmoelling: a thousand times

timer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by timer »

prophetfive wrote:
timer wrote:
prophetfive wrote: :D :D And counting down to the RAH, mate. 8) :wink: :arrow:
Look forward to seeing you both again mate ! 8)
:D :D Are we having snow proof TDBA jackets for this gig :idea: :roll: :wink: :arrow:
Have you ordered them ? :wink:

We do have those , and they have been a god send over the past few months - Stalle has one also - but his probably gets more use than ours ! 8)
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

timer wrote:
prophetfive wrote:
timer wrote: Look forward to seeing you both again mate ! 8)
:D :D Are we having snow proof TDBA jackets for this gig :idea: :roll: :wink: :arrow:
Have you ordered them ? :wink:

We do have those , and they have been a god send over the past few months - Stalle has one also - but his probably gets more use than ours ! 8)
:D I'm still paying back the interest on the sledge and huskies. :wink: :arrow:
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

rigel wrote:I also love this album. My favourite pieces are "Monochrome", "Abacus", "Funeral Tears", and "A Thousand Times (reprise)". Just one criticism, however. The track "Stigma" suffers from some distortion in places due to a mastering fault (amazed nobody picked up on this before the cd was released!?!). Otherwise, it's another excellent album by Johannes Schmoelling, in my opinion even better than "Instant City".
I've been listening to this track on headphones to see if I can hear what you mean (and I think I can), but please can you identify the exact time points where the distortion appears?

Thanks.
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

timer wrote:
rigel wrote:Thank you, timer. :)

Good to see that so many people appreciate "A Thousand Times". Actually I wonder if anyone here can help me identify the source of the piano refrain on "Monochrome". I recognise the sequencer line as being from the opening part of Tangram, but trying to work out where the piano melody comes from has me stumped. I'm sure it's a variation on a piece from either an old TD or maybe a Schmoelling solo album. I keep thinking "this should be obvious" :oops: but can't identify the source. Please put me out of my misery!

The Piano lines in Monochrome are unfamiliar to me - maybe some one else can Identify .
Maybe you are reminded of the syncopated style used in 'The Electrified J.S.' from 'Recycle or Die'?
rigel

Post by rigel »

Just listened again to "Stigma". The distortion is first at 0:09 but is most noticeable at 0:31 and again (not as bad) at 1:06.

I do think the haunting familiarity (to my ears) of the piano on "Monochrome" is down to a similarity, at the very least, with an old TD melody. I suspect it is to be found somewhere in the vast back catalogue of albums, most likely from the Schmoelling era, though not necessarily. One of these days I'll be revisiting a TD album and there it will be -- I hope! :wink: I was thinking recently that it's a little reminiscent of the piano melody on "Tiergarten", but that's not it. It can't be from "The Electrified J.S." as I'm not too familiar with that piece.
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

rigel wrote:Just listened again to "Stigma". The distortion is first at 0:09 but is most noticeable at 0:31 and again (not as bad) at 1:06.

I do think the haunting familiarity (to my ears) of the piano on "Monochrome" is down to a similarity, at the very least, with an old TD melody. I suspect it is to be found somewhere in the vast back catalogue of albums, most likely from the Schmoelling era, though not necessarily. One of these days I'll be revisiting a TD album and there it will be -- I hope! :wink: I was thinking recently that it's a little reminiscent of the piano melody on "Tiergarten", but that's not it. It can't be from "The Electrified J.S." as I'm not too familiar with that piece.
Thanks for the info - I'll check out those time points.

Conrad
rigel

Post by rigel »

No problem. To reiterate, 0:31 is where the distortion is most obvious. Otherwise, a beautiful and stunning album!
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

rigel wrote:No problem. To reiterate, 0:31 is where the distortion is most obvious. Otherwise, a beautiful and stunning album!
I hear it on mine at that point. Thought it was my speakers.

Although it is there, it's certainly not a shop-stopper (for me at least).

BTW, while on the subject, the title track is my favorite of that album. Beautiful.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

That's not distortion - it's a deliberate effect used to confuse the listener
into thinking there is distortion. It's been used before on TD releases apparently.............
j_pertou

Post by j_pertou »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:That's not distortion - it's a deliberate effect used to confuse the listener
into thinking there is distortion. It's been used before on TD releases apparently.............
:lol: :lol: :lol:
When it's dark enough, you can see the stars.
r4man

Post by r4man »

Beaubourg wrote:
rigel wrote:No problem. To reiterate, 0:31 is where the distortion is most obvious. Otherwise, a beautiful and stunning album!
I hear it on mine at that point. Thought it was my speakers.

Although it is there, it's certainly not a shop-stopper (for me at least).

BTW, while on the subject, the title track is my favorite of that album. Beautiful.
I believe the track "Stigma" is a partial reworking of "Church Theme" from the album Wavelength. It was also used as the opening of "The Silver Scale".
r4man

Post by r4man »

You can also hear parts of "Ice Walk" played during TD's 1981 tour during the tune known as "Thermal Inversion" in the Tangerine Tree Titles.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

How was it. :?:

:!: :arrow:
hansx

Post by hansx »

a friend of mine called it muzak. :( But he is not the TD adaptic anymore he ever was.
TangFanIRL

Post by TangFanIRL »

r4man wrote:You can also hear parts of "Ice Walk" played during TD's 1981 tour during the tune known as "Thermal Inversion" in the Tangerine Tree Titles.
Well spotted!!!! You could be closer to the truth than you know! ;-) ;-) ;-)