the TD members and their tunes

Erik
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

the TD members and their tunes

Post by Erik »

i'm sure this has been brought up before, but i gotta know. a lot of TD members have had solo careers, and i want to explore these a little further. who/what should i check out right away? some really good recommendations. i really like Edgar's solo music, and Klaus Schulze too. i like how Klaus seemed to progress in the same direction as TD, like he was TD's musical doppleganger. i've heard some of Jerome's music, and it's really starting to grow on me. i've read great things about Shiver Me Timbers.

so who should be up next?
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
TheMan

Re: the TD members and their tunes

Post by TheMan »

Erik wrote:i'm sure this has been brought up before, but i gotta know. a lot of TD members have had solo careers, and i want to explore these a little further. who/what should i check out right away? some really good recommendations. i really like Edgar's solo music, and Klaus Schulze too. i like how Klaus seemed to progress in the same direction as TD, like he was TD's musical doppleganger. i've heard some of Jerome's music, and it's really starting to grow on me. i've read great things about Shiver Me Timbers.

so who should be up next?
Peter Baumann. Facinating solo recordings, all the way up to the end. It is a real pity he is not in music anymore.
Erik

Post by Erik »

fantastic, will look into it
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Got to be Johannes Schmoelling. his first few solo albums are really interesting and unique, really special. I also like Chris Franke`s solo stuff. a lot of people not keen on his Babylon 5 work so should try out London Concert,Klemania and Pacific Coast Highway.

For me I only really enjoy their solo work as well as Jerome`s who has made some outstanding stuff. the likes of Peter Bauman,Klaus Schulze and to a lesser extent Haslinger dont really float my boat but then a lot of people here will say different.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I am guessing you have tried Picture Palace Music? If not then you must check this stuff out, super stuff.
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Definitely Johannes Schmoelling and Jerome Froese, but I would avoid all of Chris Franke's albums except for The London Concert which is very good :)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
rigel

Post by rigel »

Anything by Jerome Froese, and a top priority must surely be Shiver Me Timbers.

I always thought Chris Franke's Klemania was very good and I liked a lot of Pacific Coast Highway.

Johannes Schmoelling has produced some exceptional music and I would particularly recommend the first three albums, Wuivend Riet, The Zoo of Tranquillity and White Out. Avoid the re-recorded versions.
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

I highly recommed the latest album A Thousand Times by Johannes Schmoelling. Regarding Chris Franke's Klemania and Pacific Coast Highway, you get all of the good tracks of these albums on The London Concert :)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
Erik

Post by Erik »

great suggestions everyone, thank you
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Yeh. I would go with some of Johannes work. Wuivend Riet, Zoo of Tranquility, White Out, etc, are all major classics.

I'm very fond of Jerome's solo output but would point out that it's not pure electronica.

Chris Franke has done some good stuff but it's very patchy to say the least. Pacific Coast Highway, Klemania and The London Concert are good but many of his soundtracks are very samey and not very electronic.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
rigel

Post by rigel »

I will add that Johannes Schmoelling's A Thousand Times is well worth checking out. The music is very accessible and features some delightful nods to music he made with TD.
Erik

Post by Erik »

rigel wrote:I will add that Johannes Schmoelling's A Thousand Times is well worth checking out. The music is very accessible and features some delightful nods to music he made with TD.
awesome. well's he's top priority, i'm checking out his classic albums tonight.
rigel

Post by rigel »

I (and I'm sure others too) would be interested to know which particular compositions you enjoyed most from Schmoelling's first three solo albums. Let us know what you think.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

You've just got to buy Michael Hoenig's 'Departure From the Northern Wasteland' if you like classic 70s TD and Schulze.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Peter Beasley wrote:You've just got to buy Michael Hoenig's 'Departure From the Northern Wasteland' if you like classic 70s TD and Schulze.
Good choice. Stands up well against mid-70s TD.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda