In praise of Thorsten Quaeschning

32 years + counting
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

In praise of Thorsten Quaeschning

Post by 32 years + counting »

This is an unashamed salute to TQ.

You could hear it straight away on JEANNE D'ARC. There was a depth, complexity and texture that set that album apart. There was new life and a 3-way dynamic once again...and then Jerome left.....and what could have been sadly never was.

But Thorsten Quaeschning had arrived. 8 years on he's a veritable TD veteran now. And I rate both his contribution to TD and his solo/PPM material as highly as I do Johannes Schmoelling's.

Thorsten's sound design is flat out excellent, his keyboard dexterity nothing short of amazing and his compositions endlessly fascinating and unpredictable. Follow what seems like a simple lead line in SPRING WATER FALL and find yourself caught out for the 38th time. Marvel at the speed and uplifting brilliance of the solo in PERSISTENCE OF MEMORY Pt.6. Revel in the soaring, cyclical beauty of METAPHOR Pt. 3. Listen past the vocals to the gorgeous richness of SHAPE MY SIN. (Why oh why isn't there an instrumental release of this track!?)

And then he sits down at the piano, and despite how much I've always loved Paul and Johannes' playing, I am stunned. LILITH'S CRADLESONG is in turns delicate, mysterious and melancholic, before erupting into a display of such power and skill that by the time the final emphasised note echoes away you realise you haven't taken a breath for nearly a minute.

Back to the synthesisers he proceeds to produce what are, in my opinion, two of the best electronic tracks of the last 25 years...of all time in fact. DROWNING MOON and THE GRETHCHEN TRAGEDY from NATATORIUM are so good it's just ridiculous. I must have played them both a 100 times now and will likely play them a 100 times more and still not tire of them. And there's more intelligence, emotion and scope in a single minute of MOVE AND STILLNESS than there is in most entire albums of his contemporaries.

Just when I had begun to lose faith in the genre - round about the same time Bola dropped out of sight and Orbital gave up the ghost before a recent triumphant return - Thorsten Quaeschning has single-handedly rekindled it, as well as stamping his personality all over very smartly chosen and brilliantly produced re-workings of TD classics.

For those yet to delve into TQ/PPM's world, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's a very tough ask of any band or musician to produce an album that is consistently brilliant throughout - to their supreme credit TD have managed it four times, in my opinion, with PHAEDRA, STRATOSFEAR, TANGRAM and EXIT. To date PPM have yet to conquer this particular mountain. Some of their more pop-py and four-by-four excursions leave me a bit cold, I have to admit. But there's no doubt in my mind that the peaks of TQ and PPM are amongst the highest around.

Only two other artists have brought me anywhere near as much pleasure this past decade as has Thorsten Quaeschning....and I'm increasingly finding I'm listening to him more than they.....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

TD 'usually' benefit from the trio aspect as I think it adds some dynamic contrast, in the music and in the propulsion of the sound.(probably because in my mind's eye, I have been conditioned to accept 'TD' as a trio). TQ and PPM have released some extremely enjoyable modern music, which repays repeated listening...Im listening to SFV at the moment, and some parts are magical and sound very dreamy.......I hope we hear more TQ input with Edgar........ :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Nero

Post by Nero »

That's why TQ is with TD - Edgar Froese always knows well which musician he prefers being in his band.
TQ learned a lot from TD in recent years and made good progress, but the album 'Natatorium' i.e. is more or less a good copy of TD's music, but I'm sure PPM will find their own style more and more. Although I don't like the poppy sound of the last PPM album either...
redziller

Post by redziller »

TQ & PPM do deserve high praise IMHO. I'm beginning to think that the more poppy peices that I orginally eschewed are evidence of a shaking off of old em labels and to their credit are producing music inspite of how it may be tagged. I think the most exciting point is confidence and mastery of technique seem to grow with each release.

Only good can come of TQ in TD IMHO Croix-de-Gueree and Bar.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
24db

Post by 24db »

certainly the best triangle player TD have ever had!

;)
Jon

Post by Jon »

TQ is great. His contributions to Madcap's Flaming Duty are just brilliant, as is Persistence Of Memory from Atomic Seasons and Array Of Fadin' Flowers from PPM. Looking forward to hear more of his stuff in the future. I can even forgive him for not accepting me as a friend on Facebook. I guess he didn't like that I pointed out he should translate the PPM site to english. :lol:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

One thing you can't deny about Edgar is that knows how to pick talent. QED TQ = talented guy. I love his work for TD and the PPM releases.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Jon

Post by Jon »

Seems like TQ is reading this board. He just added me as an FB friend. :D
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:One thing you can't deny about Edgar is that knows how to pick talent. QED TQ = talented guy. I love his work for TD and the PPM releases.
it's quite funny as I think TD weren't even aware that Thorsten even played an instrument when they took him on as a studio engineer.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:One thing you can't deny about Edgar is that knows how to pick talent. QED TQ = talented guy. I love his work for TD and the PPM releases.
it's quite funny as I think TD weren't even aware that Thorsten even played an instrument when they took him on as a studio engineer.
I wonder if there red faces when they found out. :oops:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

24db wrote:it's quite funny as I think TD weren't even aware that Thorsten even played an instrument when they took him on as a studio engineer.
According to the 2008 interview of the german Musikzirkus-Magazin TD were searching for an engineer and keyboardist with software knowledge and he had to play. The contact took place over Martin Kasperzak, so they knew for certain well whom they get.

"Stephan:
was mich und wahrscheinlich viele andere auch interessiert, ist natürlich, wie man Bandmitglied bei Tangerine Dream wird.....

Thorsten:
Die suchten einen Techniker und Keyboarder, der auch gewisse Anforderungen, was die Kenntnisse von verschiedenen Programmen beinhaltete, erfüllen musste. Dann war ich beim Vorspielen …....

Stephan:
Worüber haben Tangerine Dream die Suche gestellt, über eine Zeitungsanzeige?....

Thorsten:
Nein, der Kontakt kam damals über Martin Kaspersak, der die Auslandskorrespondenz von eastgate bzw. damals noch TDI gemacht hat, zustande."
24db

Post by 24db »

Cyclone wrote:
24db wrote:it's quite funny as I think TD weren't even aware that Thorsten even played an instrument when they took him on as a studio engineer.
According to the 2008 interview of the german Musikzirkus-Magazin TD were searching for an engineer and keyboardist with software knowledge and he had to play. The contact took place over Martin Kasperzak, so they knew for certain well whom they get.

"Stephan:
was mich und wahrscheinlich viele andere auch interessiert, ist natürlich, wie man Bandmitglied bei Tangerine Dream wird.....

Thorsten:
Die suchten einen Techniker und Keyboarder, der auch gewisse Anforderungen, was die Kenntnisse von verschiedenen Programmen beinhaltete, erfüllen musste. Dann war ich beim Vorspielen …....

Stephan:
Worüber haben Tangerine Dream die Suche gestellt, über eine Zeitungsanzeige?....

Thorsten:
Nein, der Kontakt kam damals über Martin Kaspersak, der die Auslandskorrespondenz von eastgate bzw. damals noch TDI gemacht hat, zustande."
I'll ask Martin directly
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

and for non-German speakers...

"Stephan:
what also interests me and probably many others, is of course, how to become Member in Tangerine Dream..."

Tony:
They were looking for a technician and keyboardist which had to meet certain requirements which included knowledge of different programs. Then I was while auditioning..........

Stephan:
What Tangerine Dream made search, over a newspaper advertisement?....

"Tony:
no, the contact at the time of Martin Kaspersak has made foreign correspondence from eastgate or still TDI came."

interesting to see that bing translates Thorsten to Tony ....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Good old Martin K.

Sadly missed in TD circles.