Some news on Franke

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Some news on Franke

Post by Jon »

Edgar Rothermich just posted this on Facebook:

Ultrasuede - In Search of Halston"
DVD release tomorrow May 29 2012. Documentary about 70s celebrity designer Halston. Music score by Edgar Rothermich & Christopher Franke (with lots of 70s style synth music)
http://amzn.to/KY91nB

I guess this is interesting for 70s TD fans? I wonder how it sounds?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Additional comments from Rothermich:

The documentary contains a lot of original footage from the 70s and 80s and the director decided that a 70s TD style synth score would fit the movie perfectly, which it did. So we dusted off some old Moogs and ARPs and scored that movie. The typical TD fan might not be so interested in the topic of an iconic fashion designer, but hey, nothing wrong to learn something new while listening to a music style you like.
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

No information about the music, but:

http://www.halstonmovie.com/
Jon

Post by Jon »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Jon wrote:Some great sound clips here:

http://dingdingmusic.com/DingDing/Video.html
Now, that's more like it Chris !
Network23

Re: Some news on Franke

Post by Network23 »

Well, this is a surprise. was there a CD release of this score? (I wager not.) That is the best new music I've heard from Chris since The London Concert and KLEMania, and those CDs are decades old now.
Jon

Post by Jon »

No CD release. There is a CD release for What The Bleep Do We Know though. Some good stuff there.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Network23 wrote:Well, this is a surprise. was there a CD release of this score? (I wager not.) That is the best new music I've heard from Chris since The London Concert and KLEMania, and those CDs are decades old now.
There was a lot of good stuff used on the Babylon 5 series, with only one problem ... almost all of it was VERY BADLY DIRECTED AND USED ... and in fact I would say that anyone that directed any of the series' shows, simply did not know how to use music, or setup a moment with music.

The show itself was not bad, and had many moments that could have been seriously enhanced, with one exception ... le petit denouements in a TV series can not last more than 15 to 20 seconds or the audience will miss the next commercial!

In many ways, I think that Chris is not happy with the success that TD has had since he left, and he might have thought himself a bigger part of it all. However, with his stuff also doing well, it was weird to see him not doing music anymore directly and create works for a CD.
Network23

Post by Network23 »

I have since sold off all of my Babylon 5 CDs. They were good for the time but there wasn't much to hold on to, as opposed to the sheer pleasure I derive from spinning Stratosfear, Thief or Underwater Sunlight for the zillionth time. Chris needs a collaborator to sound his best. He's not a Froese, Baumann, Schmoelling, Haslinger, etc. He was great at creating sequences and I credit him for many of the unique sounds and rhythms we heard during his tenure with TD.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hipgnosis wrote:I think that Chris is not happy with the success that TD has had since he left
Again, nothing more than speculations. Not a word has ever been said from Franke about this.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Jon wrote:
Hipgnosis wrote:I think that Chris is not happy with the success that TD has had since he left
Again, nothing more than speculations. Not a word has ever been said from Franke about this.
I said "think" ... which does not make it "real".
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Sun May 03, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hipgnosis wrote:
Jon wrote:
I said "think" ... which does not make it "real". Do you not understand English that you have to puke on mine?
I understand english perfectly well. But "thinking" that Chris is not happy with the success of TD is "wrong thinking", and drawn out of thin air. When you are sharing speculaitions like that, you have to expect reactions.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

I understand english perfectly well. But "thinking" that Chris is not happy with the success of TD is "wrong thinking", and drawn out of thin air. When you are sharing speculaitions like that, you have to expect reactions.
I cleaned it up ... it was not as nice as I wanted it to be. I did think, however, of a donkey and his dribbling's, on top of a synthesizer, but maybe that is too weird and artsy to be appreciated today, or even 85 years ago!

But regardless, I do think that Chris will come to regret not saying anything ... but I remember Edgar's comment about Chris and a cup of coffee. It wasn't exactly bad, but it was not complementary either, but I do not think that Edgar meant to put the kid down, however insensitive the comment might sound.

The best parts of life that we all remember and live by, is always the best and the prettiest and the most exalted of situations. The negative ones can also affect us, but they are not discussion material that can help us get elevated and taken to the next train for the next destination. The ugly and negative, usually ends up eating up ones insides and in the end, hurt more than it helps put your life in perspective.

Not my call to decide this for Chris however. But I think that it is hurting his ability to create music, and find himself in the process. Sometimes humility is a good friend, at least we all would hope so!