MACULAR TRANSFER

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by cantosis »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:
cantosis wrote:First time I heard this album today, very nice. cant believe it has slipped me by all these years
Which version....1976 or the Eastgate re-recorded version?

re-recorded Mike
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

I bought Macula Transfer in 87, I think. I was 21 at the time... I had already bought most of the Edgar Froese soo CD's and TD stuff in 85
I had mixed feeling about it but my interest developped later. I think the track I loved the most was "quantas 611". Very special, original sounds and a fairly weird atmosphere.. I wouldn't say this track is relaxed, yet. Certainly not.
I wonder if everything is done with the mellotron on it ?

"if810" was quite different, I think it kind of leads towards some of the music on "Stuntman" already...
One really weird track is "af765", which is maybe too stretched out... I say "weird" because we hear Edgar's voice on it, don't we ?! Quite exceptional. I cannot understand what he says but he speaks, doesn't he ?

I loved the mellotron textures, and especially Edgar's work on the mellotron.... I have always been sorry he didn't pursue his use of the instrument (which I think is weird as lately, he uses a ton of textures previously heard on the TD albums from the early 80's, for instance).

I liked the feeling of those recordings, there was a sense of mystery in what Edgar was composing... "Space rock" ? "Cosmic music" ? I don't know. Maybe I was inspired to think this by certain musics in science-fictions movies of the late 60's/early 70's or just older ones that had some electronic music in them - like "Forbidden planet".
Anyway "Macula Transfer" is maybe not enough focused, but I do like the album, anyway...
As I said, I bought Macula Transfer as a second-hand LP an dquite late, in 1987, (I couldn't find it in another way, anyway) so the sound has never been top notch (quite a bit of scratching) but well, OK. I never bought the CD version.... I thought an offical CD release didn't exist until I read about it in this forum !
I haven't heard the new reworked version... I am quite afraid by those reworked versions... Sometimes, I didn't like too much what Edgar did with some of the older TD material.. well, it depends...
Ooops, long post again, sorry. :oops:
Last edited by Marc M on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Marc your posts are spot on and a joy to read mate.. :D
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

sparrow wrote:Marc your posts are spot on and a joy to read mate.. :D
Thank you, Sparrow, you're really nice with me... After all, I started writing so late on this forum ("late" compared to when I initially subscribed and very late when we think about the time I've been listening to TD's music) that I feel as if I have so much to catch up with !
rigel

Post by rigel »

I had much the same experience as you with "Macula Transfer." Bought it on vinyl in 1988 and enjoyed much of it, though very strange in places. Quite experimental and I agree about the atmosphere and mystery of the early Froese solo material. Echoes really of Rubycon and Sorcerer. "Macula Transfer" on CD is something I missed, as I didn't know of its existence until after it was corrected, and have no interest in a re-recorded version.
rigel

Post by rigel »

Er, some of my text has been auto-altered. "Corrected" wasn't the word I used. Is "discontinued" acceptable?
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

rigel wrote:Er, some of my text has been auto-altered. "Corrected" wasn't the word I used. Is "discontinued" acceptable?
I think "stopped" or "runned out of stock" is more accurate here... but, as you might well have read above, the initial normal CD release wasn't approved by Edgar Froese and the first run was only of 1000 copies. Yet, I guess one must be able to find it sometimes on e-Bay or elwewhere, from time to time... (buit at which price ?!). Anyway, if the sound is as bad as on the initial pressing of "Aqua" (I'd swear it's been taken out of an LP and quite badly transferred !) or "Epsilon in Malysian Pale", it is not worth buying this.
I'm not 100% against a slightly reworked version, if the alterations are small and subtle.
homeless

Post by homeless »

I bought the original MT outta 23rd Precinct (Bath Street)
in the grey old days.

During my first listen to "il810" , I saw an Interflug Ilyushin IL-62

Really spoooky!

A damn fine piece or work.

homeless
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

It's a great album, like all Edgar's solo releases but it took the re-release to really make it something special.
Occasionally recording as Chromengel: Click here for the music

New CD out, "Meridians" For more details Click Here
24db

Post by 24db »

it was better than most of the EM at the time, and almost 30 years later it's still better than most of the EM around...go figure!