Classic Rock presents Prog

hansx
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Classic Rock presents Prog

Post by hansx »

A thread for this fantastic prog magazine. This month with a very nice article about our favourite band TD.
har

Post by har »

Stiill havent read mine or heard the CD yet :?

Soon be the weekend though :D

Looking forward to both !
hansx

Post by hansx »

har wrote:Stiill havent read mine or heard the CD yet :?

The cd is quit good. Some great tunes on it like Pallas and Spock's Beard.
har

Post by har »

hansx wrote:

Nice, looking forward to it.

Approx 1930hours tonight GMT, with beer 8)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

hansx wrote:

It's also got Panic Room who I like quite a lot.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
hansx

Post by hansx »

Chris Monk wrote:
hansx wrote:

Seems there are alot of prog lovers here. Great, more reason to post some prognews I read and hear .
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

hansx wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
hansx wrote: The cd is quit good. Some great tunes on it like Pallas and Spock's Beard.
Seems there are alot of prog lovers here. Great, more reason to post some prognews I read and hear .
Feel free. I adore Prog...

...and the best progressive band IMHO is Tangerine Dream.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
har

Post by har »

I love Prog me.

Mind this thread ? some good bands listed thereon 8)

http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/for ... sc&start=0
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I'm tired of the "Prog" thing ... I don't even care anymore what the band is called or considered ... it's about the music. But if it sells, it must be ok for everyone else to go spend money on it! ... such a Pavlovian society we have become!

In the end, they list all these copycat bands, and still many of these folks have not sat down and listened to a Djam Karet and their work and their first 4 albums makes KC sound like a hit band for frustrated music fans! Or as they would say in Brazil , "tarado" fans!

The main issue I have is that the only music that gets "called" progressive or prog (prog is the rock version that is more metalic than the original -- or at least more popularly accessive to the ear!), is no longer so, and the majority of the things listed, including some Porcupine Tree (not all of it) is still quite formulaic and it's not exciting anymore ... and this is where TD, Schulze and some of these people come in for me ... they are still at the forefront of new music, and new creations ... where the rest is still copy'ing ideas that have already been done.

My review still stands! You can read it on the other thread!
hansx

Post by hansx »

Hipgnosis wrote:Hi,

I'm tired of the "Prog" thing ... I don't even care anymore what the band is called or considered ... it's about the music. But if it sells, it must be ok for everyone else to go spend money on it! ... such a Pavlovian society we have become!

In the end, they list all these copycat bands, and still many of these folks have not sat down and listened to a Djam Karet and their work and their first 4 albums makes KC sound like a hit band for frustrated music fans! Or as they would say in Brazil , "tarado" fans!

The main issue I have is that the only music that gets "called" progressive or prog (prog is the rock version that is more metalic than the original -- or at least more popularly accessive to the ear!), is no longer so, and the majority of the things listed, including some Porcupine Tree (not all of it) is still quite formulaic and it's not exciting anymore ... and this is where TD, Schulze and some of these people come in for me ... they are still at the forefront of new music, and new creations ... where the rest is still copy'ing ideas that have already been done.

I just have the opposite. Too much TD for a long period. And then prog is very refreshing. A lot of old, but from time to time new bands.
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

It costs £8
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

hansx wrote:
Hipgnosis wrote:Hi,

I just have the opposite. Too much TD for a long period. And then prog is very refreshing. A lot of old, but from time to time new bands.
I'm the same.

There are lots of good progressive bands out there. Sure many of the new bands are formulaic, and by definition not progressive, but many more aren't. The result is that, if they are just using tried and trusted prog routines, I don't listen to them.
hansx

Post by hansx »

The new one is in the stores now.

Last edited by hansx on Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

hansx wrote:The new one is in the stores now.
Got my copy last week. Nothing much TD related apart from an advert for the two up-coming compilations.

There is a review of Legend in SFX this month and TD get a very very brief mention.
hansx

Post by hansx »

Chris Monk wrote:
hansx wrote:The new one is in the stores now.
Got my copy last week. Nothing much TD related apart from an advert for the two up-coming compilations.

There is a review of Legend in SFX this month and TD get a very very brief mention.
Will get my copy of CRP tomorrow.
Got a pdf from SFX for my ipad. It looks again fantastic, Nice magazine, however I think the SCiFi Now was better. But didn't read that one for ages.