First experience of TD

HarryPotter No7
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

First experience of TD

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

Maybe this has already been covered in the past...............

Back in 1985 I remember hearing them for the very first time on the short lived but excellent TV series Streethawk and had to get my hands on the music (as a niave kid of 13 I thought it would be readily available!)

I can remember asking my mum to get me a copy from our local library and she came back with an album depicting 3 chaps playing synthersizers in front of a giant orange sphere with the words Logos - live at the Dominion London 1982 plastered on the front.

And the rest for me is history.........

All my mates were playing Duran Duran, Howard Jones, etc and I was playing Logos - a kid of 13??? needless to say they took the p@@s! but I'm sure most liked it deep down.
Last edited by HarryPotter No7 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

um I had vaguely heard of them, perhaps a mate's dad had Force Majeure? either way I had seen Lotus Records adds for Edgar's stuff in (perhaps) 2000ad? (I only ever bought one copy in 1977) or NME, or Sounds. Anyway I was off on holiday and had a few minutes to spare in WH.Smiths in Kings Cross station to kill, and thought I'd check out what was available on cassette...the answer was loads, so which one to pick? It boiled down to Phaedra or Tangram? (Tangram was just out)...so I bought Tangram. 26 year later, and far too many records later the journey continues :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

At a mates house (Mike) who was 4 years older than me in 1979.......

He put on Rubycon and said have a listen to this,i was 15 heavily into rock and punk but when i heard that album i never looked back......i had never heard anything like it and was hooked :arrow: As you no doubt have read on too many occasions :roll: its still my favorite to this day 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

I was drawn to the cover of Phaedra in our local record store. Rick Gallup worked there and was a mine of information. He played it for me and I was drawn into the wonderful soundscapes. That was 1974 and I haven't been the same since.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
akaihead

Post by akaihead »

Jeazzz I must be old.

1974 and bought this fancy looking album called Phaedra and what really got me hooked was IMHO the greatest album ever to be cut in plastic and the best ever cover to boot RUBYCON. Still think the start of side 2 gives me shivers!!
David Fox
timer

Post by timer »

1980 - borrowed Sorceror of a mate's dad, but didn't take to it as had been into Vangelis since 1978. Next thing that same mate lent me Rubycon, after that it's TD all the way.(to the bank!).
Hyperboreauk

Post by Hyperboreauk »

After hearing my uncle's LP of equinoxe in 1979 my mate Ian and I were hooked, it inspired us to go searching for similar artists. Ian picked up a copy of Force Majeure we then became TD addicts buying everything they had done and within a year seen them live at Oxford.
redziller

Post by redziller »

1978 - I was listening to the evening metal slot on Capital Radio ("You're Mother Wouldn't Like It") and Nicky Horne played Cloud Burst Flight.

Need I say more

If that track were ever played live I think I would spontaneously combust.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

redziller wrote:1978 - I was listening to the evening metal slot on Capital Radio ("You're Mother Wouldn't Like It") and Nicky Horne played Cloud Burst Flight.

Need I say more

Me too. Are you thinking, what I'm thinking? Always thought this would be a great encore!
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

timer wrote:1980 - borrowed Sorceror of a mate's dad, but didn't take to it as had been into Vangelis since 1978. Next thing that same mate lent me Rubycon, after that it's TD all the way.(to the bank!).
What's your opinion of Sorcerer now Tim? I think it's a fantastic album.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Hobo wrote:I was drawn to the cover of Phaedra in our local record store. Rick Gallup worked there and was a mine of information. He played it for me and I was drawn into the wonderful soundscapes. That was 1974 and I haven't been the same since.
I was working Saturdays and Holidays in a TV/Radio/HiFi shop in 1974 and met one of the only lady audio enthusiasts around. She played me her HiFi and the final LP was Phaedra. From the first few seconds I was hooked and this LP became something of an epiphany for me.

My life was forever changed and enhanced from then on. That's why I love this era of TD's music so much...
Last edited by DSJR on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redziller

Post by redziller »

Hobo wrote:
redziller wrote:1978 - I was listening to the evening metal slot on Capital Radio ("You're Mother Wouldn't Like It") and Nicky Horne played Cloud Burst Flight.

Need I say more

Me too. Are you thinking, what I'm thinking? Always thought this would be a great encore!
Dare we hope :twisted:
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

should the mighty Tangerine Dream play Cloudburst Flight (in what ever form - I would like to hear an acoustic version.....) at the astoria....I think I would just become at ONE and at peace will the entire TD fanbase and merge into the 40 year heritage of them TD and becomeEDIT
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Need I say more

Peter
I think i would have wet pants myself if this were played "Live" totally awesome track :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Its a good job im going to be nice and nekkid at the astoria, thus no need for the dry cleaning bill......
...The wise.....are silent.....