Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1975

TangFanIRL
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by TangFanIRL »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote: it's a shame that the only stereo tapes couldn't be found
Has Mr Franke got them mate :wink:
Gawd knows...will we ever know mate? According to Steve Harvey (and I refer you to the BBC interview from 1975 on my blog) the concert was recorded in stereo but only broadcast in Mono...so who knows perhaps the BBC still has it?...somewhere in their vaults, amount all the 1000's and 1000's of recordings.

With many thanks to Peter B:

Mike Sparrow (programme presenter): “And now to the moment we’ve all been waiting for, me especially in fact because it’s such an ambitious project, it quite blows my mind to even think about it. Tangerine Dream Live at the Albert Hall. Steve Harvey is the man to entirely take credit for this, because he produced the session, recording actually at the Hall and was indeed the man completely responsible for dreaming up the mad scheme in the first place. Why Tangerine Dream, Steve”?

Steve Harvey: “Well I’ve always been a fan of Tangerine Dream and the chance to actually record it was something quite astounding. I rang up Virgin Records and said “Look, how about recording this Royal Albert Hall gig? And to my amazement they said “Yes”. Tangerine Dream because they’re a band I think you have to listen to at home, preferably in a darkened room with a nice quiet atmosphere around you, with very little distraction and I think they’re the perfect band to listen to ….. particularly if you’ve got a VHF receiver and can get a good, high quality reception”.

Mike Sparrow: “Yeah, shame of course it’s not stereo, because the Royal Albert Hall was quad wasn’t it, glorious quad”.

Steve Harvey: “Oh indeed. In fact we’ve got a stereo recording, but unfortunately we go out in mono. But all the same, I think it should be a very nice concert indeed”.

Mike Sparrow: “What about the actual recording. Can you tell us something about it”?

Steve Harvey: “Well, this was done by the Broadcasting House O.B. engineers who normally work on Radio 3 and I think they were quite surprised in fact to work on a concert of this nature. They were a little dubious at first, but I’m glad to say that when they actually got down there and heard some of the music, they got very much into the spirit of things. And of course my grateful thanks to them, ‘Crootch’ and all the boys, who helped so much down at the Royal Albert Hall and of course without them, this recording wouldn’t be available”.
OK, does anyone know this Steve Harvey gentleman to get in touch with him??? ;-)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Back on topic (forgive me I'm getting paid by the word here ;)) the biggest name who's infuence on history books compared with what they actually did, has to go to Keith Emerson (no insult to KE and ELP fans), but really, what did he do? ok...amazing performer, fantastic technique...but what did he personally do for the progress of EM?, bar popularising the Moog. KS and TD (and some others) were the true innovators, and yet how many times do you see their names in EM history books? very few.
As a BIG Keith Emerson fan I have to say.....

...you're absolutely right. I never could get my head around why he had a Modular Moog on stage and yet played it as if it was a Mini Moog. I saw Jordan Rudess (on DVD) doing the same with a huge Arrick (?spelling) modular synth recently. Why, oh, why,why, why!!!

PS My brother's friend (Dave Kilminster) played in Keith Emerson's Band and says he's a thoroughly decent chap.... don't you know.
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:
24db wrote:with respect...who gives a monkey's about Pink Floyd?...they might be famous but why do they get so much credit for using synths...Compare that to TD who were genuine innovators and they get airbrushed out of most histories...
One exception to this was the review of 'Ricochet' by Miles in New Musical Express, where he declared that TD had far surpassed the Floyd in their use of electronics (comparing it to the recently released 'Wish You Were Here').
National Rock Star said roughly the same thing, however that was something like 33 years ago.

if we take a more up to date book, something like 'Analog Days': the invention and impact of the Moog Synthesizer, you'll see that TD is credited 3 times in the index, whereas PF gets 6 (8 if you include DSOTM), Emerson 23. If you add the total amount of coverage on TD in the whole book it probably comes to about 7 or 8 sentences....if that.

Now, it's obvious that people like Keith get mentioned more times for several reasons..not all of them musical, he was very popular in the States...and perhaps cos he was friends with Bob Moog (btw this month sees the 75th anniversary of Bob's birth...we should mark the occassion!!!!!!!!!!!).

Now I'm sure some ex-TD fans will just say, 'oh well, it's because TD don't play the great improvised stuff of past days, Chris Franke, Moog, analog..blah blah' however this air brushing of TD out of EM's history started years ago. The famous South-Bank programme being one of the more famous examples, they did a whole TV programme on EM in the 80's and managed not to mention TD once or KS or...etc etc.

Perhaps if TD and Klaus had pranced about with a ribbon controller at the front of the stage going 'WooooOOOOOOoWOOOeeeEEEEEeeeee" for 15 minutes in each gig then perhaps they'd get mentioned more often. Then again...perhaps not :)

The recent DVD on Kraftwerk (which I think is great on German rock, but oddly, perhaps not too good on Kraftwerk) totally dismisses TD after Phaedra. I knew there was a reason why I don't buy 'the Wire' :) Opinion dressed up as fact, get two people to say the same thing and it's set in stone. I can forgive people like Julian Cope for saying that TD sold out after Atem, because at least he's a fan, totally OTT perhaps, but enthusiastic as hell. For all the flaws in his book, and there are many, it gave the whole of German Rock (Krautrock? what a terrible term!) a boost in the consciousness of joe public (Hell Mojo ran a multi-page article on it, with Krautrock/Kraftwerk on the front cover)...Krautrock was cool again, well, until the musical eye moved on.

Cards on the table...TD aren't seen as cool...sorry and all that, they might have made the headlines for a few years (going by the shelf space for my cuttings...let's say 1974-76) but the UK press had basically packed up it's collective ball and gone home for tea by the time of the UK 1978 tour (by degrees I mean...they were still mentioned of course, but the heavy coverage was over). Punk happened and the UK press wanted to talk about people spitting on grannies (I've said sorry, so get over it!) ;)...anyway still not a bad 15 minutes of fame. However...journalists these days, especially with the advent of the net (collectively) should know better, and as has been mentioned before 'they need to turn their brain on at the same time as their PC'

I seem to recall a quote from somewhere saying 'TD, if you've heard them, then chances are you'll love them'...perhaps that's about as good as we can expect? that people who have actually listened to the music (whatever era or whatever tour or album) that the music matters to them, and the rest of the world will (by and large) ignore it, concentrating on the 'here today, gone tomorrow' nature of pop. Musical fireworks.............WHIZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz...Bang!!!!..."Oh, it's finished, shame that'
Last edited by 24db on Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote: Perhaps if TD and Klaus had pranced about with a ribbon controller at the front of the stage going 'WooooOOOOOOoWOOOeeeEEEEEeeeee" for 15 minutes in each gig then perhaps they'd get mentioned more often. Then again...perhaps not :)
You forgot the firework strapped to end of the ribbon controller.

It fills the mind with some frankly disturbing images. :wink:

Thank goodness we'll never see the like.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Interesting that there's a seller on ebay with a quantity of Royal Albert Hall 1975 CDs - PART 1 ONLY from Bootleg Box Set Vol. 1. Selling for £1.99.

What's the betting that these are all reject first pressings with 13 minutes missing?
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Peter Beasley wrote:Interesting that there's a seller on ebay with a quantity of Royal Albert Hall 1975 CDs - PART 1 ONLY from Bootleg Box Set Vol. 1. Selling for £1.99.

What's the betting that these are all reject first pressings with 13 minutes missing?
It's a fair bet.

Aren't Esoteric thinking of releasing a new version of the Bootleg Box Sets?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

just read this thread and the quote that the concert was actually performed in quad - makes me dream of a mysterious quad recording of RAH coming to light, now that would be amazing... ;)
Minimoog

Post by Minimoog »

multivit72 wrote:just read this thread and the quote that the concert was actually performed in quad - makes me dream of a mysterious quad recording of RAH coming to light, now that would be amazing... ;)
You never know [maybe good old santa claus will pop one in your stocking ;-)
The coward only threatens when he is safe.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

multivit72 wrote:just read this thread and the quote that the concert was actually performed in quad - makes me dream of a mysterious quad recording of RAH coming to light, now that would be amazing... ;)
Depends if it was recorded in Quad I suppose....

...and if the tapes are still available.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Is this the only concert where TD used a quad P.A.? Or were any of the cathedral dates quad? If so, I wonder why they went back to just using stereo P.A.'s?