Looking back at: Flashpoint

Tropylium
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Tropylium »

I've had the theme from Going West stuck in my hed for the last two months. Wouldn't have expected to get an earworm out of the piece, but there you go.

Not the only piece worth a mention however! Dirty Cross Roads is a masterpiece (a minor one in TD's catalog, but a masterpiece anyway). Plane Ride, Mad Cap Story and Highway patrol are also delicious :P
razor

Post by razor »

A very rare & expensive soundtrack this. As for the music, I think it's highly underrated along with many other soundtracks TD released. Some great music can be found on this CD! :)
"You Laugh At Me Because I'm Diffrent, I Laugh At You Because You're All The Same"
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

I used to have this... but I seem to have lost it. On the lookout for the CD version. Anyone???
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
razor

Post by razor »

GlynRichards wrote:I used to have this... but I seem to have lost it. On the lookout for the CD version. Anyone???
Why not just buy another copy from Amazon? I know, expensive, but you won't find it "cheap" anywhere. Go for it! :)
"You Laugh At Me Because I'm Diffrent, I Laugh At You Because You're All The Same"
hansx

Post by hansx »

A good album with a bad cover. I like it, it has some good songs on it. Don't play it much, but we have so many. Should try a sort of marathon of soundtracks someday. :)
razor

Post by razor »

hansx wrote:A good album with a bad cover. I like it, it has some good songs on it. Don't play it much, but we have so many. Should try a sort of marathon of soundtracks someday. :)
Good thinking! Sounds like a great idea! :)
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

Flashpoint is my favorite TD Soundtrack. It captures well the mood of driving through the US southwest desert.

3 versions that I own on CD:

1980's Heavy Metal XD 29 [playable version, made in France]
1993 Mystery Tracks [bootleg]
1995 One Way Records s21-18507

The One Way Records CD is not only a re-issue it is also a remaster, it sounds different than the original 1980's Heavy Metal CD. The One Way Records CD is louder and not as smooth (rougher) as the 1980's Heavy Metal CD. Which CD is better may depend on how you like TD's sound, I like the smoother Heavy Metal CD best, but those who favor a more digital electronic sound may like the One Way better I think.

I think Flashpoint needs another CD issue because they are all now out of print and expensive. It is bad that new TD fans may not get to hear this great album due to high costs.
Last edited by Flashpoint on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer

Post by timer »

Flashpoint wrote:Flashpoint is my favorite TD Soundtrack. It captures well the mood of driving through the US southwest desert.

The One Way Records CD is not only a re-issue it is also a remaster, it sounds different than the original 1980's Heavy Metal. The One Way Records CD is louder and not as smooth (rougher) as the 1980's Heavy Metal CD. Which CD is better may depend on how you like TD's sound, I like the smoother Heavy Metal CD best, but those who favor a more digital electronic sound may like the One Way better I think.

I think Flashpoint needs another CD issue because they are all now out of print and expensive. It is bad that new TD fans may not get to hear this great album due to high costs.

Welcome to the forum 'Flashpoint' - this is my favourite soundtrack also 8)
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

timer wrote:
Flashpoint wrote:Flashpoint is my favorite TD Soundtrack. It captures well the mood of driving through the US southwest desert.

The One Way Records CD is not only a re-issue it is also a remaster, it sounds different than the original 1980's Heavy Metal CD. The One Way Records CD is louder and not as smooth (rougher) as the 1980's Heavy Metal CD. Which CD is better may depend on how you like TD's sound, I like the smoother Heavy Metal CD best, but those who favor a more digital electronic sound may like the One Way better I think.

Thank You. Took me a long time to get approved. Glad I am here! I am a big TD fan and have more than 30 different TD Albums from the 1970's and 1980's era's
Last edited by Flashpoint on Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

welcome Flashpoint, I have a very nice Vinyl copy, which makes the CD sound like a CD.

:D
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Flashpoint wrote:
timer wrote:

The One Way Records CD is not only a re-issue it is also a remaster, it sounds different than the original 1980's Heavy Metal. The One Way Records CD is louder and not as smooth (rougher) as the 1980's Heavy Metal CD. Which CD is better may depend on how you like TD's sound, I like the smoother Heavy Metal CD best, but those who favor a more digital electronic sound may like the One Way better I think.

Thank You. Took me a long time to get approved. Glad I am here! I am a big TD fan and have more than 30 different TD Albums from the 1970's and 1980's era's
welcome, any studio favourites from that period?
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

bigmoog wrote:welcome Flashpoint, I have a very nice Vinyl copy, which makes the CD sound like a CD.

:D

Hello, Vinyl usually does :)

Thank You for welcome!

I am not sure, but the 1993 Mystery Tracks [bootleg] which contains all the TD Flashpoint tracks, may be a rip from vinyl? It has a more natural sound than the One-Way reissue/remaster CD, but lacks some of the punch of the Heavy Metal CD. Probably due to it being an altered rip of some kind?
Flashpoint

Post by Flashpoint »

24db wrote:
Flashpoint wrote:
timer wrote:

welcome, any studio favourites from that period?
Yes. Tangram, Force Majeure, Stratosfear, Le Parc, Exit and especially
Green Desert. I was given a cassette of Green Desert as a gift in the 1980's, it's what got me into TD.
24db

Post by 24db »

Flashpoint wrote:
Yes. Tangram, Force Majeure, Stratosfear, Le Parc, Exit and especially
Green Desert. I was given a cassette of Green Desert as a gift in the 1980's, it's what got me into TD.
That's quite an unusual start, Green Desert, considering it's rather convoluted history. I'd imagine that 90% of fans have Tangram and FM in their top 10, fantastic albums. Totally slated at the time (especialy in the UK), but classics through and through
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

long live dirty cross roads :)
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)