A look back at Encore

redziller
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by redziller »

24db wrote:An extract from 'Currently Playing Rock', ABC FM,
Australia, Feb 15th 1982

DJ: “Since you released as Tangerine Dream, Ricochet and Encore all the music was new and not on any previous records was that deliberate?. I mean in the case of Ricochet it obviously was, but particularly on Encore, was that deliberate?”

Edgar: “I mean Encore was a record we did from our American tour in ’77 and it was a very very nice but on the other hand strange experience, because it does not reflect the actual situation we had on that tour, because the music is quite relaxed, I mean you would say it’s more a reflection of a tour one would do in India or somewhere (laughs) and not in a really materialised country like America. So what we did there is, just to explain it a bit, was to bring people down to zero again you know to make them think a bit about their situation (in which) they live in and from me and once again it’s my ‘personal view’ of the things, America is not the country any longer, and it even wasn’t the country in 1977 where people always think correctly about what they are doing or should be doing”

DJ: “So by providing a record that didn’t reflect actually what went on in the concerts?”

Edgar: “No it did not reflect what when on in the concert, it reflects much more what we tried to say, what we try to get over to them”

DJ: “It’s an interesting idea (slightly taken aback…laughs) it’s quite the opposite of any other live instrumental.

Edgar: “Yeah that’s right”

DJ: “Is that it in itself quite deliberate, you really set out to be the opposite of everything?”

Edgar: “Yeah, that’s it exactly, we try to be all the time. Because we learnt so much and we are still learning some much about building up other forms of realities. That’s what’s the key of our music is all about. Getting people into some other moods, other forms of reality”
That's sooo EF, always another perspective - cheers Andy
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
24db

Post by 24db »

redziller wrote:
24db wrote:An extract from 'Currently Playing Rock', ABC FM,
Australia, Feb 15th 1982

Edgar: “No it did not reflect what when on in the concert, it reflects much more what we tried to say, what we try to get over to them”
That's sooo EF, always another perspective - cheers Andy
No problem mate. Here's the full interview if you want to check it out:

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... ected.html
Marc M

Post by Marc M »

I actually must confess that I don't understand what Edgar means by this... all shows were partly improvised anyway, right ? And there are other shows with similar Music available in the Tangerine Trees, from of that era, whether it's in the USA or not, I guess.

Encore is a favourite TD album of mine, not so surprising if you remmebeer that my favourite albums are Rubycon & Stratosfear... Ye,t I much prefer the first LP rather than the second. Coldwater Canyon is quite loose and the guitar solo could be slightly shortened. Desert Dream has not reall start nor end... although it has some very good moments. Mainly the delicate melodic and very melancholy section in the second half.
This album It's got the strange "cosmic music" atmosphere that I prefer in TD... There are little melodic sections popping up here and there that are absolutely fantastic yet. One in Monolight, for instance.
Yet it is not true that the music is 100% new... There are bits of Sorcerer and also the main part of Stratosfear.
Anyway, I discovered it with great fondness back in the early 80's.. Each new album was a big adventure, back then... Especially by TD...
coldwater

Post by coldwater »

Same here. I overheard the staccato start to cold water canyon and i was hooked. How could such a simple sound transfix me? It was, and still is, the most sublime track and collection of tunes i have ever listened to. Without any doubt.

bigdaveh wrote:This was the 1st Dream album I listened to at a friends house many years ago in my teen years. :)
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Marc M wrote:I actually must confess that I don't understand what Edgar means by this... all shows were partly improvised anyway, right ? And there are other shows with similar Music available in the Tangerine Trees, from of that era, whether it's in the USA or not, I guess.
The way I read it is that Edgar is saying that the music on Encore is quite relaxed but the tour wasn't. If I remember correctly this was the tour that was cancelled part way through when the promoter went bust. The official explanation was that the tour had to be cancelled because Edgar had fallen off a horse but the reality was that the promoter ran out of money trying to keep ELP and their orchestra out on tour.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Seeker_UK

Post by Seeker_UK »

Chris Monk wrote:
Marc M wrote:I actually must confess that I don't understand what Edgar means by this... all shows were partly improvised anyway, right ? And there are other shows with similar Music available in the Tangerine Trees, from of that era, whether it's in the USA or not, I guess.
The way I read it is that Edgar is saying that the music on Encore is quite relaxed but the tour wasn't.
....and that (Like Ricochet) only half of the album is an actual audio verite record of TD live. :D
Occasionally recording as Chromengel: Click here for the music

New CD out, "Meridians" For more details Click Here
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

I think we can agree that Encore is a sexy album
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

SequenceC wrote:I think we can agree that Encore is a sexy album

electronic V!agra
...The wise.....are silent.....
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

despite Trees and leaves

Encore is one of Tangerine Dream's greatest albums.
Pergamon_PB

Post by Pergamon_PB »

Studio or live sets, for me...Ricochet and Encore are just the best. Played them hundreds of times...never seems to age..simply classics!
24db

Post by 24db »

a dusty sexy album...I haven't played it in years :shock:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
:shock: incredible :shock: :D
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
So much great new music...so little time :D
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I love Encore
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
there's so much I don't play these days...I feel an eBay clear out coming on!