The Dante Song Collection

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The Dante Song Collection

Post by Jon »

This is disc 7 on the Electronic Journey box set.

I didn't have too many expectations about this CD, but it's quite a bit better than the Inferno live DVD, the only other item with some of this music that I have in my collection.

My favorite tracks are Sisiphys (although the voice machine made me think I was listening to a Cher song), Prison Of Paradise and Beyond Sodom And Gomorrah. Many of the tracks leave me rather cold and disinterested though.

Opinions on this CD? What do TD fans think of this part of the TD history, and the experiment which was the Dante releases?
Erik

Post by Erik »

well the live versions of everything are what's really important.

my god, STILL haven't heard all of these. i want to
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

I love all of the songs with Iris singing, she has a beautiful voice 8)
"Their chief failings in social competence are an inability to perceive themselves accurately and annoying others by their dominance and unsuitable jokes."

Michael Argyle
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Some very nice enjoyable listening for the right mind-set. 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

The whole opera trilogy takes some time getting used to. But this song collection has a lot of great moments. Of the three albums I think Paradiso is the hardest to get into. Purgatorio the best.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Insvims wrote:The whole opera trilogy takes some time getting used to. But this song collection has a lot of great moments. Of the three albums I think Paradiso is the hardest to get into. Purgatorio the best.
paradiso is a tough one to crack, but it is worth second listen....I just think the orchestra is mixed too low and some of the songs are heavy going......but on the whole its quite good.....overall, in retrospect IMHO, the Dante trilogy would have scaled greater heights with an additional producer on board, perhaps to sharpen up and focus the whole thing, after all its an epic..Edgar must have worked flat out to get it all together 8)
...The wise.....are silent.....
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I really got to appriciate these albums a lot more when I was forced to listen to them for Dante raffle 8)

I think they all have good moments when in the right frame of mind.
Jon

Post by Jon »

So there's really an orchestra on Paradiso?? That's rare in the TD history.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Jon wrote:So there's really an orchestra on Paradiso?? That's rare in the TD history.
Think it is a live performance with orchestra, yes.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Jon wrote:So there's really an orchestra on Paradiso??
Yes. Paradiso was the first one I bought and I figured the other two have orchestras too. Just purchased Inferno and realized there is no orchestra. I have yet to buy Purgatorio (waiting for a good deal).

I like very much the orchestral sounds on Paradiso as I am much into classical music. Inferno sounds very good too even if there is no orchestra. The synths and percussion work very well with the singing. Whatever TD does it tends to work for me. 8)
andyk

Post by andyk »

I love the whole Dante series, but Purgatorio is by far my favourite. I was lucky enough to be at the Royal Festival Hall to witness the premiere of the entire set, so I guess that gives it a slight bias, as for me that evening was one of the most memorable concert experiences ever. I was a bit disappointed with Paradiso at first; I think it was a mixture of unrealistic expectations (following the triumph of Purgatorio), and the complexity of the piece. My advice is to give it a chance and persevere, as it's brilliance shines through after repeated plays.
PS. I note elsewhere a reference to some out-takes from Inferno; any chance of a remastered extended set on double CD?
Cheers,
Andy K (a long-time absent from this forum, but glad to be back!)
andyk

Dante trilogy - Purgatorio

Post by andyk »

71 dB wrote:
Jon wrote:So there's really an orchestra on Paradiso??
Yes. Paradiso was the first one I bought and I figured the other two have orchestras too. Just purchased Inferno and realized there is no orchestra. I have yet to buy Purgatorio (waiting for a good deal).

I like very much the orchestral sounds on Paradiso as I am much into classical music. Inferno sounds very good too even if there is no orchestra. The synths and percussion work very well with the singing. Whatever TD does it tends to work for me. 8)
I loved Inferno, which prompted me to see the live rendition of Purgatorio at the RFH in London. In my opinion, Purgatorio ranks up there among the finest work that TD (& Edgar) have ever produced (and I'm a long-term fan who thought that Rubicon was astonishing on its first release in the mid-seventies.) I urge to to go and get hold of a copy of Purgatorio; I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Cheers,
Andy K
hansx

Post by hansx »

Still not like it. It isn't my cup of tea, all this Dante stuff :(
Jon

Post by Jon »

hansx wrote:Still not like it. It isn't my cup of tea, all this Dante stuff :(
The Dante stuff is not for everyone, that's for sure.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I'm a big fan of the Dante Trilogy. Purgatorio is my favourite of the three but the other two have grown on me over the years. Seeing Purgatorio played live at the Royal Festival Hall was a real pleasure. I'd love to see the like again.

I like Paradiso quite a lot but find, as BM mentions above, that the orchestra parts are way too low in the mix. I'm guessing there's a bit of a back story as to why that is.

I'm also a little disappointed that there haven't been any more DVDs of the series.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda