THE LOWRY - MANCHESTER - NEW TD CONCERT IN MAY 2011!!

Patchlead
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Patchlead »

Hello.
Yes I enjoyed the concert. As others have mentioned I did not think the sound was good at times, it was often too loud, and at times very muddy. But I was happy to be there.
Patchlead

Post by Patchlead »

Oh, I forgot to say, Brian May was in the audience.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Just woken up after about 4 hours sleep and still buzzing from last nights show. It was truly awesome. Yes it was a little bassy at times but the musicianship was outstanding. I'll post a full review when I get a chance but it won't be soon as we're away on holiday for a week. In fact I've got to go and pack the car in a minute.

Got to meet most of the band but sadly missed out on Linda, I think see saw me and ran. :wink:

Finally got to meet Edgar too, after all these years. So I'm stood in front of the man, a man who's brought so much music, colour and light to my life, and all I say is "I really enjoyed the show". Doesn't quite cover it, me thinks. :roll:

Have to say that all of TD were very gracious and welcoming. I feel a lot of warmth and affection for them, even more so than before.

....and yes Brian May was in the audience.

....and the Tache is back.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

Thinks for these nice photos !!!
:D
Is the gig is was filmed ? Do you think that you will have a DVD of the Manchester Gig ?

NOTA : I was present during the Olympia Gig last year : the sound was bad to loundy too : I asked to the sound enginer during the gig to try to improve the quality of the sound. I think that they have a problem with their sound enginner ...
François from Paris
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

fgourlot wrote:Thinks for these nice photos !!!
:D
Is the gig is was filmed ? Do you think that you will have a DVD of the Manchester Gig ?

NOTA : I was present during the Olympia Gig last year : the sound was bad to loundy too : I asked to the sound enginer during the gig to try to improve the quality of the sound. I think that they have a problem with their sound enginner ...
I didn't see any video cameras so I don't think there'll be a DVD.

The sound at the RAH was near perfect. Might just be the house PA or summat. As you may have guessed, I'm no sound engineer.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

I managed to record a few tracks on my HD camera phone, apologies for the shakeyness sometimes but as you can imagine the adrenaline was in full flow LOL.

was a fab concert and a pretty solid turnout, below is my youtube link to Dominion 2010....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLW3d6UHb0

If you guys like it, I'll upload a few more when I get the chance,

I have:

Logos 2011
Darkness Veiling The Night
Astrophel and Stella
Underwater Sunlight
Cycle of Eternity (excerpt)
Ayumi's Butterflies (excerpt)
Unknown Encore #1
Unknown Encore #2
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

Thinks for the video !!! :lol:
François from Paris
Jon

Post by Jon »

How many people in the audience? How many can The Lowry take?

Man Utd played the Champions League final the same night. Don't you think quite a few people who may have been at the gig decided to watch the game instead?
Six By Nine

Post by Six By Nine »

Ok, for what it's worth, here are my views on last night's concert:-

Nice venue but no more than half full, perhaps the football had an influence but this may put paid once and for all the notion that TD should venture outside of London - I can't see how the size of the audience could make the gig stack up financially.

One of the worst light shows I've seen at a gig for many years truly basic and did nothing to enhance the experience at all - perhaps a victim of the venue or finances, but I really expect more for £50!

Overall poor sound that drowned out the percussionist and sax for long parts of the show (not that I'm a fan of either tbh) and most disappointingly the violinist that could have provided a new dimension to things.

I applaud the band for concentrating on recent material rather than the classics, however, as I find all of TD's newer releases very hit and miss that was reflected in the set list, which for long parts left me cold and quite frankly a bit bored;but that's just me, I'm sure if you enjoy the newer stuff in its entirety this would have been a great gig.

Highlights for me Marmontel Riding on a Clef - great way to open the show, Logos 2011, Cycle of Eternity , Ayumi's Butterflies, Darkness Veiling the Nights, Astrophel and Stella and Morphing and Kiew Mission.

Also I was expecting more "new" ie unreleased stuff but this was mainly reserved for the encores.

I also agree with the poster above I didn't like the sheet with set list as that took away any anticipation or surprise as to what was coming next - I guess the lesson is if you don't want to know, don't read it!

I think the encores were mainly taken from the Gate of Saturn EP.

Overall I'd give it a 6 out of 10 compared to a 9 for the RAH.

Finally and worryingly, I thought Edgar looked a little frail - I know he's now getting on but could those who met him reassure me he's in good health?
homeless

Post by homeless »

Superb... 8)

The last encore, I reckon it's a rework @ Livemiles part2 end section (Berlin)
Has that piece got a name?

Excellent once again.

homeless
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

5 photos from The Lowry.
Photos taken by Paul Wood. Thanks to Paul for sharing.

Plus some scans of merchandise/flyers etc.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 0064583598
Last edited by T4N63R1N3 DR34M on Sun May 29, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

HarryPotter No7 wrote:I managed to record a few tracks on my HD camera phone, apologies for the shakeyness sometimes but as you can imagine the adrenaline was in full flow LOL.

was a fab concert and a pretty solid turnout, below is my youtube link to Dominion 2010....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGLW3d6UHb0

If you guys like it, I'll upload a few more when I get the chance,

I have:

Logos 2011
Darkness Veiling The Night
Astrophel and Stella
Underwater Sunlight
Cycle of Eternity (excerpt)
Ayumi's Butterflies (excerpt)
Unknown Encore #1
Unknown Encore #2

:arrow: :arrow: yes. please upload all videos of the Lowry gig. it would most be appreciated! although i cannot watch the vids here at work. my work server has youtube blocked. but i will watch when i get home today. thank you. :wink:
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

thanks to all those who have posted and uploaded pics, reviews & vids here. this one i had to miss. could not get the weekend off to fly over to see td live. first time in the last 4 years. sounds like some good and some not as good for the lowry gig. but a td gig is better than no td gig. :arrow: :wink:
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Patchlead wrote:Oh, I forgot to say, Brian May was in the audience.
Anyone get any photos of the great man ?
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I got a couple of seats in the seventh row from the front near the middle, thinking about it, the view was better from there than the front as you could see the whole stage easier. I booked staight away as tickets became available and noticed that the whole of first few rows were already prebooked, maybe it is something to do with the TDOC, who knows?

Overall, I really enjoyed this concert last night. The vast majority of the music was amazing with blinding performances from ALL of the players. I also liked Edgar's closing words that it was good to see that some people had better things to do being at the concert, regarding the match 8) 8)

There were only a few tracks that didn't float my boat, the rythmic ones that seemed to rumble on for a very long time without any change or melody, but perhaps these would have been much better if the people operating the mixing board actually knew what they were doing, the overhang and appalling levels of bass and distortion were truly quite uncomfortable, even with earplugs!

However, some of the music sounded just right and, for once, Bernard's guitar could be really heard as it should be in the mix, loud. It was really nice to see the new violinist, she played great music, when it could be heard. There were some new tracks that were truly awesome, I wish I knew what they were, but I forgot to bring home the very nice setlist. I loved the new versions of the old TD tracks as well. I guess there are pros and cons of having the setlist in advance. It was nice that plasic bottles were allowed into the concert hall, so I filled it up with lager and took it in with me.

It was nice that we had one encore where the three tracks were played consecutively as it saved valuable time which makes a difference when it's getting late.

I enjoyed this concert much more than the RAH 2010, even though the sound quality was less good, as the selection seemed to be more moving as a whole. It would have been even better if Seven Barriers had been played and if the second part of the encore had been replaced with TD's cover of Wish You Were Here.

A friend of mine, who I recently introduced to the music of TD , came along for his first TD concert and also thought it was, on the whole, an amazing concert; he really liked the complex layers of the music in particular, so we have a new fan 8)

Really looking forward to the next one, so is my mate :)
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”