Finnegans Wake

TD Eye
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Finnegans Wake

Post by TD Eye »

Here's a short, first impression of the album, after having listened to it twice.

The album contains 8 tracks of which 5 are composed by Edgar and 3 by Thorsten. Six tracks clock around 8 to 9 minutes. Two are a bit shorter. No information of whom is playing, but I have the impression that everyone has been involved.
The album sounds very pleasant and is generally very rhythmic.
The third track has a nice surprise, no no I won't tell you. Don't read the booklet either before listening, because there is a hint.
The fourth track: goose bumps. Reminds me of Living in Eternity.
The last track is heavily sequenced, I like it!
Sound quality is, as usual, excellent!
Members and non-members only please.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

the last track is an absolute highlight for me. edgar is at his best on this. some well judged froesian guitar, and some special reminders of, in my view, a great TD soundscape - sequences and gentle lilting tunes overlaying an emotional , yet driving theme.

at the moment, Finnegans is mighty fine. :D :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

There are times in life when the everyday grind can make life monotonous,but when you hear the musical delights of Tangerine Dream,life becomes a bright light of hope. Finnegans Wake is yet another delicious slice of genius from the world's finest.

Long live Tangerine Dream :D 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Sounds great! Maaaaybe, just maaaaybe... the goods arrive here in Norway today. ;-)

Whoops... 2000 posts. When did that happen? :shock: :P
har

Post by har »

Insvims wrote:Sounds great! Maaaaybe, just maaaaybe... the goods arrive here in Norway today. ;-)

Postie has just been :(

Congrats on the 2K posts, amazing how it mounts up :wink:
Jon

Post by Jon »

Insvims wrote:Sounds great! Maaaaybe, just maaaaybe... the goods arrive here in Norway today. ;-)

Around 2 posts a day in average. Impressive! :D
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

My first impression: Dark, driving, mysterious.
I can't descibe this new album properly, so some random thoughts must be enough right now.

The Sensational Fall Of The Master Builder
A slow build-up, choral voices in the background, after two and a half minutes a steady drum beat enters. These "Atomic Seasons" cries add to a feeling of unease throughout this composition - there's no real melody either, just a mountain of sounds. A really dark and mysterious opening track by Edgar.

Finnegans Excessive Wake
Thorsten's first contribution brings more dark voices but also some addictive melodies - or melody fragments that add up to a bigger whole. Just listen to these bells ... In the finale a great guitar solo is on the forefront.

Resurrection By The Spirit
Indeed a nice surprise by Edgar ... I won't spoil the surprise to those of you who didn't recieve their album yet. It's a ghost from the past, a flashback in the purest sense of the word.

Mother Of All Sources
Thorsten compiles bleeps and dry drum sounds on this track. And then ... after the first minute the thing simply is slowed down until the piece dies. Such a thing never happened on a TD record before.
A completely different mood emerges out of the ashes, a beautiful violin and synth melody on top of it all. In the middle part bits and pieces in the background are suddenly played backwards. What's going on here? Partly strange, partly simply beautiful.

The Warring Forces Of The Twins
Edgar's pop masterpiece on here. Fast rhythms, a clear synth melody and some well-known sequence patterns. This tracks lies in the tradition of recent TD tracks like A Snail's Dream. A nice way to soothe your troubled mind.

Three Quarks For Muster Mark
Wow, this time there are some really strange sounds which play a nice tune nevertheless. Thorsten again biulds up an anthem of a composition. In the second half we get to hear another of his characteristic synth solos (reminds a lot of the last part of Babylon The Great Has Fallen). Another addictive Thorsten tune.

Everling's Mythical Letter
Edgar brings back the mythical atmosphere from the first track. Mid-tempo beats, a long and winding guitar solo in the bed consisting of the familiar synth sounds. Somehow I think it's a "sunny" track ... don't ask me why. It's relaxing and puts you in a somnambulistic state.

Hermaphrodite
Edgar's finest composition here ... safe the best for last. This tune using some sad piano and acoustic guitar sequences can bring inyour eyes. An overwhelming sadness emerges - even as the beats and a great electric guitar solo kick in. I always thought Thorsten created the better finales in the last years, but this time it's Edgar's turn ... and he delivers one of his best compositions ever!

On the first listen this album feels a bit disjointed. Very different elements float in and out of your speaker. It's not an easy listen at all. Some tracks are in fact just as experimental as Chandra. At the same time there are melodies that one will remember long after the album has ended (Mother Of All Sources, The Warring Forces Of The Twins, Hermaphrodite).

Sonic Poem No. 3 is just as rewarding as the first two I'm sure ... but it's a tough listen, just like Joyce's book must be a tough read.
har

Post by har »

Interesting Mr Cox :wink: Thanks for that.

Looking forward to hearing the album on Monday :wink: :!:
Okefenokee

Post by Okefenokee »

Hi,
got my copy today and agree to the previous posts. FW is the best album that TD released this year, IMO.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Thanks for the review Mr Cox. Sounds like it's a great new release. Hopefully it'll be here soon. I'm just about resisting downloading it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

now vigilling : FRANZ KAFKA'S "THE CASTLE"

:P :P
...The wise.....are silent.....
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

bigmoog wrote:now vigilling : FRANZ KAFKA'S "THE CASTLE"

:P :P
About time there was a new release...it'd been an age :lol:
TD Eye

Post by TD Eye »

MrCox wrote:The Warring Forces Of The Twins
Edgar's pop masterpiece on here. Fast rhythms, a clear synth melody and some well-known sequence patterns. This tracks lies in the tradition of recent TD tracks like A Snail's Dream. A nice way to soothe your troubled mind.
It might very well be a re-worked leftover from the Melrose Years, more in particular Lily On The Beach. :wink:
Thanks for your review.
Members and non-members only please.
ant

Post by ant »

:D No long review here as it has already been done in earlier posts. Just one word to sum it all up - Amazing!!

Another TD classic in the Sonic Poem Season. Roll on The Castle. :D
Biggus Dickus
EDWEIRDO

Post by EDWEIRDO »

First listen - so far, so excellent :D