Ultima Thule 2012 version?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 16

TD Eye
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Ultima Thule 2012.

Post by TD Eye »

Recently I listened a couple of times to the 2011 Esoteric/Reactive release of Alpha Centauri, which includes both parts of Ultima Thule. It was quite some time ago I listened to Ultima Thule part one.

I asked myself how this classic piece would sound today, with TD's current line-up in mind. So I listened to Ultima Thule another couple of times and tried to find the answer, Ultima Thule part one newly arranged by Edgar and Thorsten. Edgar on keyboards, Thorsten on memmotron and Hoshiko on violin both playing/replacing the original M400 mellotron strings, Bernie giving his best on guitars, Iris on percussion and last but not least Linda on flute. Exciting!

This would also be a very surprising (!) encore during the European and US concerts this year.

P.S.: Please listen to Ultima Thule part one before you vote.
Members and non-members only please.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Truth be told, I would be more interested in the original version of Pt. 1 - if I understand it correctly, so far only the 2000 remix version has been officially released, including the Alpha Centauri-reissue?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

multivit72 wrote:Truth be told, I would be more interested in the original version of Pt. 1 - if I understand it correctly, so far only the 2000 remix version has been officially released, including the Alpha Centauri-reissue?

:?

,...surely....shome mishtake.... u.t teil I an II ; it was officially released in 1971 on ohr.
...The wise.....are silent.....
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

bigmoog wrote:
multivit72 wrote:Truth be told, I would be more interested in the original version of Pt. 1 - if I understand it correctly, so far only the 2000 remix version has been officially released, including the Alpha Centauri-reissue?

:?

,...surely....shome mishtake.... u.t teil I an II ; it was officially released in 1971 on ohr.
True story!
But I doubt that many of us own the 45 with the track on it...
So, since precision is called for: I would be more interested in the original version of Pt. 1 to receive an official cd-release
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

any td fan without the original ohr 7inch can buy a limited edition 7inch from esoteric on 21 april (1000 copies).

im not interested in reading or listening to people moaning about the provenance of the 'remaster' or source...we should rejoice that someone has the vision to even try and reissue a vinyl pressing.

ps: u.t. is one of td's greatest recordings..... fact :D :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

bigmoog wrote:any td fan without the original ohr 7inch can buy a limited edition 7inch from esoteric on 21 april (1000 copies).

im not interested in reading or listening to people moaning about the provenance of the 'remaster' or source...we should rejoice that someone has the vision to even try and reissue a vinyl pressing.

ps: u.t. is one of td's greatest recordings..... fact :D :D
That's gonna make a nice collectors item. Must be enough happy punters if Esoteric keep releasing these items. Just a case of the vocal minority purporting to express the views of the majority. Sales suggest something different.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

bigmoog wrote: ps: u.t. is one of td's greatest recordings..... fact :D :D
top 10, easily. next to Astral Voyager.

Ultima Thule reminds me of the Geradeus Biz Zum Morgen credit track. kind of an obscure reference, but it's true
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

It seems as though UT Part One finds its way onto more compilations, but I've always preferred the harder-to-come-by UT Part Two, since, to my ears, it sounds more Tangerine Dreamy, with all the swirling Mellotrons and so forth. Part One sounds more like Iron Butterfly.