Your Top 10 TT recordings, the 'must have's!

exit81
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Your Top 10 TT recordings, the 'must have's!

Post by exit81 »

I've been catching up on a lot of the TT and TL recordings I'd not heard yet or not heard for a long time, and I've slowly formed a kind of top 10 'must have' recordings from this project, such as London 75 and Berlin Philharmonic 76.

So what are your top 10 recordings from the TT/TL project? I don't just mean the actual music content, although that is a major factor of course, but we could also take into account the recording quality, the standard of performance from TD, and perhaps it was also a defining concert in TD's history, such as East Berlin 1980. Or maybe it was a show you attended and has good memories for you. You can have any reasons you want.

Let the lists begin....
r4man

Re: Your Top 10 TT recordings, the 'must have's!

Post by r4man »

OK, Ill start things off with an obvious one. TTV 38, West Berlin 1987. Excellent recording, Chris Franke's last live performance as part of the band, great set selection, a chance to hear the actual version of the Republic Square portion of Live Miles.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I don't have any of these.
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

r4man wrote:OK, Ill start things off with an obvious one. TTV 38, West Berlin 1987. Excellent recording, Chris Franke's last live performance as part of the band, great set selection, a chance to hear the actual version of the Republic Square portion of Live Miles.
I second that. I'd say that even if you're going to have just one TT installment, be it Vol. 38. Outstanding!!! Loved the version of "Dolphin Smile" there and other great rarities such as "Sunnyvale", "A Time For Heroes" and even the instrumental versions of "Smile" and "Tyger".

Also, in no particular order...

TT Vol. 80: Assorted Secrets IV (if you loved the music from the previous official TD site plus other really amazing rarities, you'll find it all here).

TT Vol. 12: Croydon '82 (the extended "Logos").

TT Vol. 17: East Berlin '80 (great pieces from a radio broadcast, I think).

TT Vol. 19: Paris '76 (a MUST have if you love the Baumann days. Very, very long and nice landscapes).

TT Vol. 21: Detroit '92 (the "Rockoon" promotion tour, I guess).

TT Vol. 22: Orange '75 (again the classic period).

TT Vol. 36: Assorted Secrets I (great, GREAT rare material, especially "Underground End Titles" and "Ultima Thule Improvisation". Man, that was amazing!).

TT Vol. 57: Los Angeles '95 (not the best sound quality, but worth it. Loved that the rare "Quasar" is featured there).

TT Vol. 73: Soundtrax (the only one I've ever lost and could never get back and I still regret it because you can't even download it anymore. It contains some great rare material such as the soundtracks from "Vision Quest", "The Switch" and "Mandala" all in one.)
redziller

Post by redziller »

Excepting the bootmoon & 2 boxsets I've taken the approach not to learn what music goes with what file - I just pick one at random from time to time and enjoy what turns up 8)
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Tree v22 orange

Td at their classical peak. The music has grace, width, power, improvisational magic...uncanny feeling...love and space...

Every td fan must agree :mrgreen:
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Royal Albert Hall 1975. Not only the quintessential TD tree,but the quintessential TD concert ever. Incredible :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:Royal Albert Hall 1975. Not only the quintessential TD tree,but the quintessential TD concert ever. Incredible :arrow:

I know you are right :mrgreen:
...The wise.....are silent.....
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I'm scared to look out my TT & TL discs...they haven't seen light of day for many moons...I haven't played most of them at all. Some I did were too poor quality and the ones I liked got filed away never to be heard again. :oops:
r4man

Post by r4man »

Another "must have" in my opinion would be TTV 69, Paris 1986. Back in the days of the Tangerine Dream International Fan Club one of the Newsletters had an advertisement for a bootleg called Parisian Dreams. Since the TDIFC was an official publication I thought this was odd, but I took a chance and ordered the record. Yep, it was a record. I also purchased the companion release Parisian Dreams 2. It took a long while and I thought I might never see the records, but finally they arrived. If you are old enough to remember bootleg records you know that they were usually of sketchy quality, so I wasn't expecting much when I put the record on. Wow!! it was great!! Pretty much as good as an official release. No crowd noise, coughing, etc. and a really clear, open sound. I don't know the origin of the original recording, whether it was broadcast, a soundboard, or something else. The tour itself was the first with Paul Haslinger. I saw the version of the show that came to the USA. They were so good, that I resolved that I would no longer worry about being thought of as a geeky fanboy and henceforth go to as many shows as possible any time they toured.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

r4man wrote:Another "must have" in my opinion would be TTV 69, Paris 1986. Back in the days of the Tangerine Dream International Fan Club one of the Newsletters had an advertisement for a bootleg called Parisian Dreams. Since the TDIFC was an official publication I thought this was odd, but I took a chance and ordered the record. Yep, it was a record. I also purchased the companion release Parisian Dreams 2. It took a long while and I thought I might never see the records, but finally they arrived. If you are old enough to remember bootleg records you know that they were usually of sketchy quality, so I wasn't expecting much when I put the record on. Wow!! it was great!! Pretty much as good as an official release. No crowd noise, coughing, etc. and a really clear, open sound. I don't know the origin of the original recording, whether it was broadcast, a soundboard, or something else. The tour itself was the first with Paul Haslinger. I saw the version of the show that came to the USA. They were so good, that I resolved that I would no longer worry about being thought of as a geeky fanboy and henceforth go to as many shows as possible any time they toured.

I agree 8) Paris 86 is a gem of a show 8) 8) 8)
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Good call with Paris 86, I listened to this today in the car, along with Cologne 86 as a comparison. Superb sound quality and some outstanding unreleased music, and the first tour I saw them on!
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Had Plas Des Arts Montreal 77 on today...it's such a good recording that it makes a great companion set to Encore.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

exit81 wrote:Had Plas Des Arts Montreal 77 on today...it's such a good recording that it makes a great companion set to Encore.
I agree. 8) 8) 8)