ISO: TD Beginner's Guide

obmm
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

ISO: TD Beginner's Guide

Post by obmm »

Firstly; If there already was a topic of this kind, I wasn't searching hard enough, and so I apologise.

To get to the point...

Recently, I've seen Michel Mann's "The Thief". That's how I discovored TD.
Natural development of the situation, considering me, was to get all TD music. What a stupid and ignorant idea that was...

Well I tried to fish one album similar to the "The Thief OST" from the sea of TD music, but with no deisred success.

This is where you TD experts could jump in. Could anyone of you give me a word of advice, and help me to find TD music that is similar to "The Thief OST", or even better; to the Confrontation (Ending Theme) from the same.
Also, maybe a some kind of a all-round Best Of to start with!?

Thank you in advance...
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

You could try: TD - 'Force Majeure' 'Encore' and 'Heartbreakers' and Edgar Froese - 'Ages' and 'Stuntman'.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
24db

Re: ISO: TD Beginner's Guide

Post by 24db »

obmm wrote:This is where you TD experts could jump in. Could anyone of you give me a word of advice, and help me to find TD music that is similar to "The Thief OST", or even better; to the Confrontation (Ending Theme) from the same.
Also, maybe a some kind of a all-round Best Of to start with!?

Thank you in advance...
One thing, Confrontation wasn't composed or played by TD, it's by a musician/composer called Craig Safan, Michael Mann wanted TD to do the end music, but it was so late in the production that TD had returned to Europe, therefore Craig had to something roughly 'in the style' of TD..

I've just found TD's quote on it:

"...during the time Michael Mann was editing and dubbing the Movie Thief, TD played some gigs in Italy, Michael rang them in Venice and asked for a final guitar sequence which should close the the movie. There was no time for the band to step into an Italian studio to record such a piece of music. What's very unusual for TD, happened, Michael had to ask an LA guitarist to compose what's called later "Confrontation" on the record. it had to have the playing technique and a TD sound. Virgin records, who did release the record outside of the States, didn't like the piece or the whole procedure. It was done and taken off the tape. Business as usual!"

If you like the sequencer type stuff on Thief have a look for the Park is Mine OST (I should point out that this soundtrack was released without TD's permission therefore it's slightly less polished than their official albums, having said that there's some fine tracks on it....and as DV says try Force Majeure which is just brilliant.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

IMHO you could not have started with a finer soundtrack 8) easily my favorite soundtrack by TD..........Also look for Firestarter and Flashpoint which are two very good soundtracks IMHO but they can take a bit of tracking down on CD............Also dont forget the classic "Sorcerer soundtrack" 70s TD but still a beauty :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
obmm

Post by obmm »

That's what I call a "topic reply"! :)
Desert_Voyager wrote:You could try: TD - 'Force Majeure' 'Encore' and 'Heartbreakers' and Edgar Froese - 'Ages' and 'Stuntman'.
Thank, you. These are fine.
24db wrote:One thing, Confrontation wasn't composed or played by TD, it's by a musician/composer called Craig Safan, Michael Mann wanted TD to do the end music, but it was so late in the production that TD had returned to Europe, therefore Craig had to something roughly 'in the style' of TD..
If you like the sequencer type stuff on Thief have a look for the Park is Mine OST (I should point out that this soundtrack was released without TD's permission therefore it's slightly less polished than their official albums, having said that there's some fine tracks on it....and as DV says try Force Majeure which is just brilliant.
That is interesting. I will try to get those, but are there any released Craig Stefan works? The fact that he wrote "Confrontation" makes him intersting too. Thank you.
epsilon75 wrote:IMHO you could not have started with a finer soundtrack 8) easily my favorite soundtrack by TD..........Also look for Firestarter and Flashpoint which are two very good soundtracks IMHO but they can take a bit of tracking down on CD............Also dont forget the classic "Sorcerer soundtrack" 70s TD but still a beauty :wink:
Yes. The Thief is the best Michael Mann film, and the best piece of TD for me at this point. Thank you.
24db

Post by 24db »

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006268/

Info on Craig Safan, I can't add much more as I've never heard anything else from him, bar that one track.

andy
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I also recommend the compilation 'Antique Dreams' and the live/studio album 'Pergamon'.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Don't forget "The Keep", directed by Michael Mann. Not the easiest, or cheapest TD album you'll find, but well worth the effort!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Hobo wrote:Don't forget "The Keep", directed by Michael Mann. Not the easiest, or cheapest TD album you'll find, but well worth the effort!
Which is the best version of The Keep, Mick?
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
Hobo wrote:Don't forget "The Keep", directed by Michael Mann. Not the easiest, or cheapest TD album you'll find, but well worth the effort!
Which is the best version of The Keep, Mick?
I've not heard a bad version Jason. The TDI version is currently getting a few spins here.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

the Blue Moon version is nearer to the movie soundtrack, but obviously there's only ever been one official CD release :)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:the Blue Moon version is nearer to the movie soundtrack, but obviously there's only ever been one official CD release :)
:wink: The vinyl album is still unopened in my cupboard :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:the Blue Moon version is nearer to the movie soundtrack, but obviously there's only ever been one official CD release :)
:wink: The vinyl album is still unopened in my cupboard :arrow:
Next to the Rubycon out-takes mate? ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Sorry mate :oops: :shock: :arrow: :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Sorry mate :oops: :shock: :arrow: :wink:
:D :D...no problem, joint top Welsh fan (Chris made me say it ;))