ARTE TV MAKING DOCUMENTARY ON TD

la sagesse du destin
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: ARTE TV MAKING DOCUMENTARY ON TD

Post by la sagesse du destin »

Why not some short interviews of fans for the documentary ?
Infinite thanks to all the peoples from Eastgate and TD for the Japan Raffle.
www.tangram-dream.fr
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

In my opinion a documentary about TD cannot be compressed in a few hours.

Almost 50 years should be equal highlighted, I think.
I appreciate if this documentary would be a historical "document".
To let know the complete world what TD was and is, give TD the place in music it deserves.

My suggestion is to split the documentary in a number of chapters, parts.

Agree with la sagesse du destin concerning interviewing fans.
There are a number of loyal fans from start to now, at least they should be interviewed.

Influence of TD on other music, musicians, development of synthesizers(hard- and software), electronic music.
What were the idea's etc for making, producing the music.
ie : Logos, Trauma, Mojave Plain, Tangram and lots more.
The role and influence of Linda Spa on TD, Edgar Froese.
All the members of TD during those 50 years.
Why they like to be in TD, why they left, what was the cooperation and influence.
The growth and development of TD during the past 50 years,
What influenced TD, EF for making the music they made.

Think the script for the documentary can be found in EDGARs/TDs AUTOBIOGRAPHY.

Hope the documentary will complete TD, EF.
Some members of TD are the modern composers, compared to Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Ravel, Straus etc.

Peter.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

There are many avid and diehard fans Worldwide,and it would be nice to see some of them in the documentary. Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese,means and meant an awful lot,to a lot of people.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

This is not exactly easy ... but for me, the "story" is not as important as the art, so something else is quite valuable and missing ... and it's this ... and I'm doing this in a poem! HOW ... does it come alive? For example, I do not think about it ... I either see it or I don't. And as active and so much work that Edgar showed, I would suggest that he heard/saw sounds, and things he wanted to do in his head, and then tried to paint them.

It's all simple really ... you just need to know/see your inspiration!

(with apologies for "..." as these are "pregnant" pauses or "thinking" pauses as in theater adn film!)

I awake
cloudy sights
I can barely see
anything
things move
my eyes close
as I hear
something
can't describe it
it lives
has color
beyond my vision
and I want
to open my eyes
and see it
right here
with you
what I am imagining
a sound
another sound added
it's not just one instrument
what is it?
I don't know
feels like strings
waving their little fingers
through the heart
of the wind and snow
as I dream away
and even remember
thinking if I was aware
or asleep
in the distance
a child plays
at collecting flowers
and it feels like
the music is about her
as she moves about
jumps and dances
and collects
another flower
and another
the music dances
in my eyes
the clouds move
feels like a windy snow
closing in
the sparkles
the sparkles
my eyes feel the touch
the warmth
the beauty
I know
I'm asleep ...
and dreaming ...
dreaming
dream ... ing ...

Pedro Sena (c) 10/30/2015 Printed with Permission by author
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I'm an intuitive writer, and pretty much how I write, is based on what I see at that specific moment!

is this possible in art? Depends ... one (like my sister in Paris) that takes days, weeks to finish one single piece, I would say no ... because there is an internal battle/process that works every day that you look at your work that will change something in it.

Is this better than the intuitice and total fly in the wall or that piece of music that some might consider ... impulsive ...?

Now we wonder where Edgar lived?

I think, that he imagined some pieces and bits, all totally surrealistic, like this ... he might be reading something, and sees a couple of moments and he wants to use this instrument and that sound for that part ... and he sits, finds the nearest match, and then puts it aside ... will he come back to it or not?

Some books, or works, in our case music that we listen to, sticks to our head a lot, and has an incredible depth of detail that even ourselves have a really hard time defining. And the next day, Edgar reads more of that book and comes up with another bit, and this time he wants to use that same instrument but do something different on it with this and this and that on it.

The next day, he has probably figured out how to blend those pieces!

It's hard to not think that Edgar "thought" and "tried" to appreciate the works of literature that inspired him, and they are many! Now, as to you and I interpreting the music to be the definitive illusion of what those works are about ... that's hard ... because both you and I and Edgar would think differently.

There is one person, however, that could really tells us a lot ... if he has mellowed out his family stance on things. His name is Jerome ... because he could easily say ... I came up in the time of this and that, and dad, came from a lot of classical music ... so his work has that smoothness in it, and mine has a different touch that is closer to my time and place. And he could ... EASILY ... show us on a keyboard, any given passage, as to how dad would probably interpret it, and how he would do it ... now we're talking about "the meat of the subject" ... the "hardcore" essence of what ticks in one person's hands on their playing.

There is a lot that could be done with a film. For me, TD's music is so visual and intense, that at times, even writing a poem is not enough, and I have several of them written over the years, some of which I have shared, and some that I have not.

To me, it's a romantic notion ... if you will ... how do you see your work ... and while I do not see a Ken Russell documentary/film behind it ... I do see a type of "Mahler" in all this ... when he writes a symphony, and he tells her, he wrote it for her, and she still leaves ... and honestly ... this is the sad side of music ... none of us understands it, but there is one thing, that a few folks will never understand ... how and where one saw all that ... and this is what we need to go after ... not the star or the legacy ... but the vision, and HOW the electronic instruments illuminated that vision ... because in many ways, this is the beggest story of all for Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese ... are we going to allow it to come alive to us "again" ... or are we simply going to let a few allegories kiss up to the master so we "believe" that he was the great man that he was!

I live for the vision, and sometimes, that is the only thing that matters ... for another poem ... or another piece of music ... and in the end ... look at what you got! All this music!

Close your eyes, and live and die with that music ... you will always remember it ... like it was one of the best parts of your life, and TD was one of them for me!
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Just recently, I joined a discussion about the film "I dream of Wires" and many of us, just like the folks here on this board, were totally upset as to how the special completely ignored other artists that were far more important to the development of those wires and various effects that eventually became a part of the synthesizer.

There are many interviews, the one I remember the most is the one about the echo chambers, that give away, what it was like to play these things, and Tangerine Dream, unlike most of all the other folks, continued playing, even though they knew it would be different tomorrow ... and this gave an incredible amount of bootlegs, which TD, later went after releasing these to gain from them as much as possible.

Including the likes of Schulze, Hoenig, Franke, Baumann, and others that followed, you have enough folks that can talk about the details of the instruments they helped develop ... the synthesizer, and this could easily make "I Dream of Wires" a silly film ... about one little part of the synthesizer, not the rest of it ... like the synth was only one set of wires, and we know that it was thousands and thousands of them!

It would also be nice to get some folks involved, like Dave Smith, and other "masters" whose instruments are still adored and used, while also bringing in the Roland, Korg and other big names, who probably had TD, and others, test their instruments to find out YET another point of view for the whole thing.

I actually see 2 or 3 films possible here, with Edgar/TD being just one of them, as seen through the eyes of the other folks. It would not be nice to hear Franke say something bad, but I think he is man enough to know his place in this band, and how they TAMED those behemoth things into a single keyboard ... the second film would deal with the band itself, and Edgar's ideas and voices, and interviews, discussing elements of TD music. However, he is not an "intellectual" in the sense that Richard Pinhas was in terms of his music and his massive articles on "Eurock". Those were actually difficult to read, but they obviously helped define something completely different ... that no one else did. I would find it difficult to think that this was not visible, or clear in Edgar.

And the last one ... I would not be interested in. Everyone kissing up so they can get seen on the screen and improve their "status" as an artist that knew Edgar. But I'll tell you one idea that is ... really cool and far out ... famous rock musician was driving down 101 in California and for more than one hour heard this and that and this and that ... and he was so blown away that he stopped and said ... call that station ... who is that? ... and they spent an amazing amount of time yapping and talking and smiling and having fun ... and you will never get this on Rolling Stone or any other crapper out there!
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

From the other post:

Maybe I'm an old man, at 64, almost 65, seeing how important the river of words is, running down the stream into the ocean, lost forever ... never even seen, noticed ... we're too busy ... all you can do, is put your hand on it, feel the cool water run, and see it pass past your hand ... including a little dirt ... it doesn't teach you anything ... It doesn't mean anything ... It's the part of "life" that we don't want to see ... life and living is passing us by ... and sometimes ... all we have is a few strands of music ... that we think make us happy ... they probably work as pacifiers, a lot more than they do a meaningful existence ... and some music for me ... has been bigger than me and my life ... and been my teacher ... well, my teacher is long dead and gone ... and it's now up to me ... and my friends ... and I look around ... read a little ... no one is interested ... except in another CD ... another song ... and the hope that an empty soul ... comes alive ... brings you some peace ... some hope ... some love ... some what? ...
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Hipgnosis wrote:Hi,

From the other post:

Maybe I'm an old man, at 64, almost 65, seeing how important the river of words is, running down the stream into the ocean, lost forever ... never even seen, noticed ... we're too busy ... all you can do, is put your hand on it, feel the cool water run, and see it pass past your hand ... including a little dirt ... it doesn't teach you anything ... It doesn't mean anything ... It's the part of "life" that we don't want to see ... life and living is passing us by ... and sometimes ... all we have is a few strands of music ... that we think make us happy ... they probably work as pacifiers, a lot more than they do a meaningful existence ... and some music for me ... has been bigger than me and my life ... and been my teacher ... well, my teacher is long dead and gone ... and it's now up to me ... and my friends ... and I look around ... read a little ... no one is interested ... except in another CD ... another song ... and the hope that an empty soul ... comes alive ... brings you some peace ... some hope ... some love ... some what? ...

you forgotten to take your pills today or what :)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote: ...

Not really ... I actually wrote two other poems ... inspired by TD, one of them by a kook in this board! I kinda like that stream of consciousness, which is hard to read as a poem, or as a piece of fiction, specially in a board with folks that only know rock songs and top ten, and then get offended because the lyrics and titles do not sound like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd!

I am just writing the movie in my head and waiting for the visual to fulfill the image before I continue ... and from day 1 Tangerine Dream has been one of the best at it for me ... so you know what I mean. The guy saying I'm not a fan, has no idea, and can not even read and appreciate one sentence on these 3 posts! Like a vision does not mean anything ... I pity the next "prophet" or Jesus, because he will be shot down so fast by the cynicism in boards, and not even appreciated by his/her good points!

That's bad!
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

:roll:
Hipgnosis wrote:

Not really ... I actually wrote two other poems ... inspired by TD, one of them by a kook in this board! I kinda like that stream of consciousness, which is hard to read as a poem, or as a piece of fiction, specially in a board with folks that only know rock songs and top ten, and then get offended because the lyrics and titles do not sound like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd!

I am just writing the movie in my head and waiting for the visual to fulfill the image before I continue ... and from day 1 Tangerine Dream has been one of the best at it for me ... so you know what I mean. The guy saying I'm not a fan, has no idea, and can not even read and appreciate one sentence on these 3 posts! Like a vision does not mean anything ... I pity the next "prophet" or Jesus, because he will be shot down so fast by the cynicism in boards, and not even appreciated by his/her good points!

That's bad!
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

Hipgnosis wrote:

That's bad!
I'm sorry, man, I could not get past the first few lines of your first post and I don't know if anyone in his right mind will. No offense, but if you're such an artist, then why are you spending so much time on this forum? Shouldn't you be publishing your work or something? Or did your so-called "poems" get rejected and that's why you believe you have to show them to us?
Jon

Post by Jon »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:
Hipgnosis wrote:Hi,

From the other post:

:lol:
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Most decent music documentaries seem to have a duration of around an hour to fit in with TV schedules, like the recent Kraftwerk one on BBC4. You can fit a lot of content in an hour, but to adequately cover a band who have been around for 40 years and have such a rich story to tell, the documentary must leave the viewer with an overall impression of the band's achievements, influence, background, legacy and cultural significance, as well as presenting an insight into a selection of their major works. Contributions should come from past and present members, plus industry figures (other musicians, directors, critics, broadcasters). Content needs to cover TD's musical development over the decades, their film score work, their work with instrument manufacturers, their approach to playing live, and above all their insistence to follow such a unique path through the musical landscape where no one had been before. Above all it should celebrate TD's standing as genuine musical artists.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

exit81 wrote: [...] Kraftwerk [...] content [...] in an hour [...]
Well, with an album count of eleven in total (or eight, I am not sure) it is fairly easy to fill one hour with worshipping rather than with content.

Now that was rude. I do like Kraftwerk.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

To me, length is relative to the depth of the subject matter or the folks at hand. However, the opposite sometimes tells you the whole story and anything else is not worth it.

If the film makers are focused on the work, this will be a great documentary. If they are concerned with the "stars', then they will lose sight of the work and I am not sure it will be that good.

Who knows, really? We all hope for the best, but I am not sure that everyone will co-operate to create something nice, and that is the tough part ... I would want Chris in there, but others might not. But I'm a child ... if there were issues, I already forgot them, because they both/all did great work.