Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 169
Is anyone at Eastgate and/or Virgin Records aware of this?

https://genius.com/a/childish-gambino-shares-his-unreleased-song-human-sacrifice-in-a-google-pixel-commercial


Sounds like a straight-up lift of the percussion track from 'Choronzon', although people who do this sort of "music" claim that they (ahem) "sampled" something...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 am
Posts: 92
This is the future, and I don't like it.

_________________
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 am
Posts: 2024
Location: staying home getting stiff
bloody cheek

_________________
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 169
Agreed, on both counts. I'm wondering if anyone at Eastgate is doing something about this. Admin: has this info been passed along to management/legal?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1668
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
I can guarantee TD will never do anything about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 169
Jon wrote:
I can guarantee TD will never do anything about this.


If that's true, it's both pathetic and lazy. At any rate, I found a link through the UMusic website where you can report things of this nature, and I'd suggest to anyone else here who's bothered by this sort of thievery to do the same. The address is inboxlicensing@umusic.com, and include links so they can hear for themselves. The more times they get the message, the more inclined they'll be to do something. One would hope, anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: London, England
:D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1668
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
ant wrote:
:D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D


Just what I thought.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 169
ant wrote:
:D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D



PLEASE tell me that you're joking. "Taking the piss out" (as they say in the Commonwealth) and all that...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: London, England
No, that is what I was officially told by Eastgate. No fraud committed - all above board etc. etc.

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 169
ant wrote:
No, that is what I was officially told by Eastgate. No fraud committed - all above board etc. etc.


In a legal sense that's good, but in the overall sense it's really an indication of how far their fortunes have actually fallen. Someone recently made mention (in one of the forums) about how the band was probably "watching it's nickels and dimes" in response to an inquiry about the very sparse amount of live performances here and there. The fact that they let someone who does rap/hip-hop anywhere near a classic TD composition- in addition to illustrating how that genre has absolutely zero original ideas of it's own- can't be an indication of anything good. Just the opposite in fact, because it potentially opens the floodgates for other to follow. Most of whom will try to hide the fact that they sampled something to begin with.

I had begun to wonder if anyone at Eastgate was even paying attention, because the links on the right hand side of this page (to purchase CDs) do not- in fact- work and instead redirect you to this page: https://www.ssl-id.de/edgarfroese.de/sh ... p?p=8a551f (regardless if you left or right click). One would think that you'd want people to actually be able to purchase the items advertised on your website...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 am
Posts: 2024
Location: staying home getting stiff
ant wrote:
:D I have spoken to Eastgate and they were informed of this and it is not a fraud but an official licence deal between Virgin/Universal and Childish Gambino. :D


Well good for them then - I wish TD & EF were better known and loved but there it is.

_________________
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: London, England
:( As this was from TD's Virgin years, it is likely that Virgin have the rights to the music and TD/Eastgate have very little say in the matter, unlike the way it is since they produced stuff under their own label Eastgate. I think that is why Edgar decided to have his own label as he was probably fed up with other record companies and the fact that they then owned the music!! One of those things from the time, I'm afraid. As far as TD/Edgar not being more widely known - I disagree. They are very widely known and respected and they have done numerous, sell-out, gigs over the last three years. They are also beginning to find a new, younger' audience too, which is good. They also got a mention, albeit briefly, on the Steve Allen show on LBC a week or so ago!!

I am sure if Eastgate could have done something to prevent it happening, should they have wanted to, they would have done. :)

_________________
Biggus Dickus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:54 pm
Posts: 1668
Location: Kristiansand, Norway
ant wrote:
As far as TD/Edgar not being more widely known - I disagree. They are very widely known and respected and they have done numerous, sell-out, gigs over the last three years. They are also beginning to find a new, younger' audience too, which is good. They also got a mention, albeit briefly, on the Steve Allen show on LBC a week or so ago!!


I have noticed Paul Haslinger recently mentioning TD in his Facebook posts far more than he did in previous years. I guess that's a sign of certain positive things happening with their legacy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:23 am
Posts: 273
Location: Planet Earth
As far as sampling goes, this is pretty tame compared to some stuff that came out in the 90s to 00s.

I've for long respected people who manage to look at unusual sources for samples. Picking one track apart for something is no feat, picking ten tracks from one artist and mashing them up is only marginally more imaginative, but stuff like shifting thru 10,000 tracks by 500 artists and samping the 10 most suitable ones is something else entirely. And let's be honest, TD probably count as an "unusual source" in this context (but I do think they're now getting better known again).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage