TD albums we don't care for?

MrCox
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by MrCox »

"Mota Atma" doesn't seem to be very popular around here, but I must confess I really like this album, especially as part of the "soundtrack compartment".
It was one of those albums that made me curious what may come next. And 2003 was the beginning of a period with many fantastic releases: Mota Atma, DM4 and the Bootlex Boxes in 2003, Purgatorio in 2004, Kyoto and Jeanne d'Arc in 2005 and Blue Dawn and Paradiso in 2006. And 2007 started in an equally fantastic way.
Before Mota Atma I wasn't that enthusiastic I must confess (although I love DM3).

I'm not very keen on Phaedra 2005 though. I rarely listen to that one, but that's fine with me. With so much music released how could anyone complain? :D
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

MrCox wrote:"Mota Atma" doesn't seem to be very popular around here, but I must confess I really like this album, especially as part of the "soundtrack compartment".
It was one of those albums that made me curious what may come next. And 2003 was the beginning of a period with many fantastic releases: Mota Atma, DM4 and the Bootlex Boxes in 2003, Purgatorio in 2004, Kyoto and Jeanne d'Arc in 2005 and Blue Dawn and Paradiso in 2006. And 2007 started in an equally fantastic way.
Before Mota Atma I wasn't that enthusiastic I must confess (although I love DM3).

I'm not very keen on Phaedra 2005 though. I rarely listen to that one, but that's fine with me. With so much music released how could anyone complain? :D
I love Mota Atma because it brought me back into the TD family after being away for about 5 years. I grew bored of the old, stale music of the early '90s and eventually gave up on them. After many years of not listening to TD, I saw a copy of Mota Atma and began to wonder what they sounded like then. Against my better judgement (i was burned many times buying albums I ended up hating), I bought it. Very quickly I was thrilled to find that I liked it and began to dig up my old TD albums.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

So I'm not the only one who likes this one. :) Well, I have only one complaint about this disc: The tracks should have been mixed together (just like on "Jeanne d'Arc") because many compositions use the same sequencer patterns and melody lines. I always wonder what this album would sound like as a suite of 70 minutes.
24db

Post by 24db »

MrCox wrote:So I'm not the only one who likes this one. :) Well, I have only one complaint about this disc: The tracks should have been mixed together (just like on "Jeanne d'Arc") because many compositions use the same sequencer patterns and melody lines. I always wonder what this album would sound like as a suite of 70 minutes.
Sounds like something you could do on soundforge...either that or a programme where you can cross fade between tracks and cut and paste tracks
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

MrCox wrote:So I'm not the only one who likes this one. :) Well, I have only one complaint about this disc: The tracks should have been mixed together (just like on "Jeanne d'Arc") because many compositions use the same sequencer patterns and melody lines. I always wonder what this album would sound like as a suite of 70 minutes.
I totally agree Mr Cox - I have always liked this album, but reckon it would work much better as a seamless mix, with the exception of the final track which has a different feel. I, like Ratty, found the nineties to be a trial of loyalty, and Mota Atma was the first to rekindle excitement and eager anticipation for future releases.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Mota Atma is just the best album by TD at making me feel so bored with it's incredible level of monotony. It should have been an EP, not an album for goodness sake. I nearly deserted TD when I got to this album.... Jeanne D'Arc restored my faith.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've never much cared for Mota Atma either. About two good ideas on a 70 minute album. It seems to wander aimlessly and you keep expecting something to happen. Sadly it never does.
Lonely Cowboy

Post by Lonely Cowboy »

sparrow wrote:I've never much cared for Mota Atma either. About two good ideas on a 70 minute album. It seems to wander aimlessly and you keep expecting something to happen. Sadly it never does.
Mota Atma is a soundtrack composition! Most of us maybe didn't realize this. We don't know something of the visual side, pics from the film scenes which maybe fit perfectly to the music. I like this album quite a lot. It shows again another aspect of TD music for which I love the band. Always a surprise.
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. OSCAR WILDE
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

billythefish wrote:
I totally agree Mr Cox - I have always liked this album, but reckon it would work much better as a seamless mix, with the exception of the final track which has a different feel. I, like Ratty, found the nineties to be a trial of loyalty, and Mota Atma was the first to rekindle excitement and eager anticipation for future releases.
Royal Way of Privacy is one of the most beautiful tone poems TD ever wrote. That track alone makes Mota Atma better than any early '90s TD.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Desert_Voyager wrote:Mota Atma is just the best album by TD at making me feel so bored with it's incredible level of monotony. It should have been an EP, not an album for goodness sake. I nearly deserted TD when I got to this album.... Jeanne D'Arc restored my faith.
At least I stuck it out through 5 terrible, useless albums before I deserted TD. (Rockoon, Goblins Club, Turn of the Tides, Tyranny of Beauty and The Dream Mixes)

np: Mota Atma
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I went through a 5 year period where i didn't really buy any new TD in the 90's.
I generally listened to other artists until i went to a TD gig at Birmingham Symphony Hall in 97 i think then i became re hooked. :oops:

Quickly buying up the back catalogue shortly afterwards
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

alipaul wrote:I went through a 5 year period where i didn't really buy any new TD in the 90's.
I generally listened to other artists until i went to a TD gig at Birmingham Symphony Hall in 97 i think then i became re hooked. :oops:

Quickly buying up the back catalogue shortly afterwards
Did you end up buying Great Wall of China? That album was an unmitigated disaster. A more disgusting pile of bilge I have never heard. I got suckered into buying that one because of my constant travels to China. I thought it would make a nice soundtrack to my hours of hiking there. Boy did I screw up bad there.
endorphin

Post by endorphin »

I have read the comments about Mota Atma with interest and it prompted me to listen to it on the way to work this morning. I personally really like the album and find the minimalistic and almost trancelike quality to the music quite uplifting and hypnotic.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

endorphin wrote:I have read the comments about Mota Atma with interest and it prompted me to listen to it on the way to work this morning. I personally really like the album and find the minimalistic and almost trancelike quality to the music quite uplifting and hypnotic.
What really makes Mota Atma are the syths used to create this album. Were they to use more boring, conventional sounds such as those found on Rockoon or Turn of the Tides, a recording like Mota Atma would be a disaster.
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

I'm really of two minds when it comes to Mota Atma. I love the music, but it all sounds alike to me. There is little or no distinction between one track and another, with the exception of Prophet in Chains. The percussive element really makes this one stand out from the rest of the pack. It is a good album, just not a varied one IMHO.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin