how often would you play

Taximan431
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

how often would you play

Post by Taximan431 »

hi guys just wondering how often would you play a disc after buying it ... like would it become a lesser play or does it still have that special appeal even after weeks of play... :?:

:D :) 8) :!: :arrow: :wink: Geoff
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Hi, I've played MFD the most regularly over the last few weeks every day and Encore the most over the last decades once a week approx recently!
Last edited by Desert_Voyager on Fri May 18, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
epsilon75

Re: how often would you play

Post by epsilon75 »

Taximan431 wrote:hi guys just wondering how often would you play a disc after buying it ... like would it become a lesser play or does it still have that special appeal even after weeks of play... :?:

Well Geoff in the case of Madcaps i have been listening to it on the ipod more and more over the last few weeks,really has hit the spot with me in a big way 8) Sometimes albums that sound good from the start can get a little tedious after time,but it can also work the other way round....... :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Re: how often would you play

Post by Hobo »

Taximan431 wrote:hi guys just wondering how often would you play a disc after buying it ... like would it become a lesser play or does it still have that special appeal even after weeks of play... :?:

A good album is a good album Geoff and will always be played. I do try not to flog a thing to death though.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

That depends entirely upon the quality of the disc. For example, I couldn't stand TD's Tyger, so consequently it was quickly retired. On the other hand, when I first discovered TD back in the 1970s, the records (Rubycon, Ricochet, etc.) received constant play.

Of course, I don't like to get overly tired of a record, either. If I find that a disc's music is starting to grow stale, I leave it alone, sometimes for months at a time, so that when I pull it out again, I can listen to it with fresh ears.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
redziller

Post by redziller »

That's an interesting one. When I get a new release I just have it on loop to the exclusion of all else for a while. And it's not alwys the releases that I loop for longest that end up in the top ranking as there's the accessibility issue. I listened to DM4 for weeks but rarely now.

As expressed above over time quality* makes itself apparent.

* Quality is subjective. Opinions of a release may go up or down. Terms and conditions apply.
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
24db

Post by 24db »

if I play a record 60 times, then another 120 times, does it mean the second is twice as good? of course not, these comparisons are daft (IMHO)..they're the logic of radio playlists...more is better. I only play Ricochet 3 or 4 times a year, but it's still better than 99.9% of all rest in my opinion (I've probably played MFD over 50 times).

I would agree that you can play stuff too much, a bit like eating your favourite food twice a day for 19 years...after a while no matter how good it starts to bore you.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

24db wrote:if I play a record 60 times, then another 120 times, does it mean the second is twice as good? of course not, these comparisons are daft (IMHO)..they're the logic of radio playlists...more is better. I only play Ricochet 3 or 4 times a year, but it's still better than 99.9% of all rest in my opinion (I've probably played MFD over 50 times).

I would agree that you can play stuff too much, a bit like eating your favourite food twice a day for 19 years...after a while no matter how good it starts to bore you.
Encore has stood the test of time for me even though I've played it so much over the decades and I still enjoy it as much as I used to , if not more than I used to. I think the fact that I play it so often proves how much I like it, not that it is the best album for everyone but because it is the best for me. I rarely play Ricochet because it is not the best for me. :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
24db wrote:if I play a record 60 times, then another 120 times, does it mean the second is twice as good? of course not, these comparisons are daft (IMHO)..they're the logic of radio playlists...more is better. I only play Ricochet 3 or 4 times a year, but it's still better than 99.9% of all rest in my opinion (I've probably played MFD over 50 times).

Encore has stood the test of time for me even though I've played it so much over the decades and I still enjoy it as much as I used to , if not more than I used to. I think the fact that I play it so often proves how much I like it, not that it is the best album for everyone but because it is the best for me. I rarely play Ricochet because it is not the best for me. :wink:
good for you :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I must have played Rubycon 100s and 100s of times since i first heard it in 1979.........i find it impossible to get tired of it,its far too intersting for that 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:I must have played Rubycon 100s and 100s of times since i first heard it in 1979.........i find it impossible to get tired of it,its far too intersting for that 8)
I've done the same with Stratosfear, Phaedra and Encore.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
nightmare strand

Post by nightmare strand »

Rubycon does it for me in the long term satisfaction stakes. I was lucky
enough to get my hands on the enhanced SACD version and the clarity just adds another dimension to what is already a true musical event.

Have to say that despite some apathy amongst some fans for tangentising, Edgars re-interpretations of the Tangram pieces were a masterstroke and like Rubycon, I never seem to tire of them.
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

nightmare strand wrote:Rubycon does it for me in the long term satisfaction stakes. I was lucky
enough to get my hands on the enhanced SACD version and the clarity just adds another dimension to what is already a true musical event.

Have to say that despite some apathy amongst some fans for tangentising, Edgars re-interpretations of the Tangram pieces were a masterstroke and like Rubycon, I never seem to tire of them.
I dig the Tangents boxset, especially for White Eagle and the Hyperborea tracks.
24db

Post by 24db »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
nightmare strand wrote:Rubycon does it for me in the long term satisfaction stakes. I was lucky

I dig the Tangents boxset, especially for White Eagle and the Hyperborea tracks.
'hells bells' I've got to agree, 'for me' the White Eagle remixes are better than the originals
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

24db wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:

'hells bells' I've got to agree, 'for me' the White Eagle remixes are better than the originals
and I love the symphonic sounds throughout Mojave Plan and No Man's Land, the rapid sequence of the track White Eagle and the heavy beat of Hyperborea.