Tangerine Dream sound like Tangerine Dream

HYPERBOREA
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tangerine Dream sound like Tangerine Dream

Post by HYPERBOREA »

Why is it that whenever I read a review of a Tangerine Dream album that the reviewer will liken a track to to something by Vangelis or Jarre. To me it implies that their work is original and TD are copying and it is somehow inferior.

Its just something that irritates me and I wondered what other people think !

I know I am contradicting myself a bit here but does anyone think that Springtime in Nagasaki has a similar feel to Ashra's New Age of Earth paticularly the TQ tracks ?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Tangerine Dream are the Genuine article IMHO :arrow: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Probably just the reviewers reference to an artist they feel their readership is more familiar with. TD are originals and remain unsurpassed! :D :P 8)
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I Have No Questions. :!:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I think it's sometimes helpful to readers unfamiliar with TD if a reviewer can use external references in their description. Some go on and on in a very personal way which is utterly useless unless you are a personal friend of the writer.

But, I agree with your point - TD are unique and pioneers.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

billythefish wrote:I think it's sometimes helpful to readers unfamiliar with TD if a reviewer can use external references in their description. Some go on and on in a very personal way which is utterly useless unless you are a personal friend of the writer.

But, I agree with your point - TD are unique and pioneers.
And, of course, sometimes the reverse is true. A reviewer might compare another synth/electronic band to TD. It's all relative.

Take a look at movies. A critic might compare a new horror or sci-fi movie to, say, Alien or Close Encounters -- something that would be similar in tone and yet familiar to the casual reader who might be contemplating seeing that movie.

TD is, of course, unique, having been involved virtually at the beginning of the use of synthesizers in modern music. If a reviewer does compare another band to TD, it's an acknowledgement to TD's pioneering history and endurability. Just my two cents' worth.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
24db

Re: Tangerine Dream sound like Tangerine Dream

Post by 24db »

HYPERBOREA wrote:Why is it that whenever I read a review of a Tangerine Dream album that the reviewer will liken a track to to something by Vangelis or Jarre. To me it implies that their work is original and TD are copying and it is somehow inferior.

I know I am contradicting myself a bit here but does anyone think that Springtime in Nagasaki has a similar feel to Ashra's New Age of Earth paticularly the TQ tracks ?
I use references all the time, cos I'm lazy...perhaps reviewers do the same? ;)
jimi

Post by jimi »

A TD fan recognises TD anytime, for me TD don't sound like anyone else. I was in Berlin, early eighties, listening to an east German radio station broadcasting non stop classical music without any commentry, and at some stage they played Tangram, I had never heard it before but recognised TD after straight away.

BTW I thought it was amazing to mix Tangram into a classical music show (they played both parts); even today I still associate Tangram with classical music :)
Greeting from Ireland

Jimi
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

jimi wrote:A TD fan recognises TD anytime, for me TD don't sound like anyone else. I was in Berlin, early eighties, listening to an east German radio station broadcasting non stop classical music without any commentry, and at some stage they played Tangram, I had never heard it before but recognised TD after straight away.

BTW I thought it was amazing to mix Tangram into a classical music show (they played both parts); even today I still associate Tangram with classical music :)

It certainly is Classic music thats for sure 8) :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

jimi wrote:A TD fan recognises TD anytime, for me TD don't sound like anyone else. I was in Berlin, early eighties, listening to an east German radio station broadcasting non stop classical music without any commentry, and at some stage they played Tangram, I had never heard it before but recognised TD after straight away.

I heard that it had a very positive write-up in a classical music magazine when it came out... Andy - any ideas :D
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:

I heard that it had a very positive write-up in a classical music magazine when it came out... Andy - any ideas :D
Tangram reviews in a classical magazine? rarer than rocking horse you know what!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

The old compositions always gave the impression of classical pieces especially in the long ones always came across like movements in the classical sense.

When i bought my hifi system i had demo of the kit & took a TD cd with me.

the guy showing me the kit was a big classical music buff and was quite impressed with Tangram as it showed the musicians had classical backgrounds.
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
tangmaster

Re: Tangerine Dream sound like Tangerine Dream

Post by tangmaster »

HYPERBOREA wrote:Why is it that whenever I read a review of a Tangerine Dream album that the reviewer will liken a track to to something by Vangelis or Jarre. To me it implies that their work is original and TD are copying and it is somehow inferior.

Stange i've never heard ashra in TD's music. Ashra's album New Age of Earth is more like Schulze did his music.
The way a world of dreams is going on!
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

As a Marillion fan, I can sympathise with those that get irritated with references to other "similar" music. To our trained ears, TD sounds nothing like Vangelis or JMJ. However, in this day and age people seem to need to categorise and reference everything. It does seem lazy.

Strangely, considering my huge record collection I find it very difficult to reference artists.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

TD are unique no other references are possible
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache