Phaedra 35th anniversary dvd question

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

ant wrote::( Short but not very good review of this in DVD Monthly, July 07 Edition. Reviewer says "they are revisiting Phaedra in all its motionless avant-garde glory. It's very, erm..long. A delightful prospect for fans but incredibly tiresome for everyone else". Gives it 5 out of 10. Obviously a uneducated philistine!! Still, 'tis their loss IMHO. :(
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz usual nonsense :roll:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

ant wrote::( Short but not very good review of this in DVD Monthly, July 07 Edition. Reviewer says "they are revisiting Phaedra in all its motionless avant-garde glory. It's very, erm..long. A delightful prospect for fans but incredibly tiresome for everyone else". Gives it 5 out of 10. Obviously a uneducated philistine!! Still, 'tis their loss IMHO. :(

I wouldn't read too much into this. A DVD magazine will probably concentrate on the production quality, rather than the musical content.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

To quote Clint Eastwood on this reviewer.......

"Opinions are like a*seholes, everybody has one...."

:wink:
Be at one with the sequencing.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:I for one would not want my ugly mug ruining a TD DVD. I'm hoping the Astoria steadycam bloke has managed to avoid me, or there is some judicial editing.
Should have been with me at the back of the hall, skulking in the shadows. :wink:

Actually I've just been watching a DVD of Saga recorded in the early 80s and I was somewhere in the front row of the show. Fortunately all shots of the audience are long shots and difficult to make out. I think that if I'd seen my gurney it would have ruined the DVD for me.

My younger brother makes an appearance on Rush's Show of Hands and I know he doesn't like that, especially if you freeze frame it, take a screen shot, blow it up to A4 size, print it out and put it in the post. :D
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what an ass :roll: :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

once again, cheers Andy

tiresome for everyone else?......nah, its just how it should be, timeless

great DVD (despite issues we all know) of a great gig :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

The reviewer obviously doesn't know when he is watching genius.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Hobo wrote:
I know that I watch genius right now! Brilliant dvd! Can't wait for the Astoria dvd!
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
Hobo wrote:
I know that I watch genius right now! Brilliant dvd! Can't wait for the Astoria dvd!
some critics actually liked it:

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra 35th Anniversary
Concert: Live In London
Voiceprint VPDVD 29
Pinch us - it's still incredible
At the height of their fame in 1976 Tangerine Dream had a magnetic pull on Afghan-coated, platform heeled youths. In Dublin in 1976 (sic), the excitement at the National Stadium was palpable. Queues stretched from the Stadium on the outskirts of the city all the way into town. In retrospect, the gig was classic Dream: Peter Baumann, Christoph Franke and Edgar Froese appeared on stage facing their gigantic Moogs, backs to the audience, invisible progenitors of electronic washes of sound.
And that's how this begins, but this time only Froese remains. Instead of real Moogs we get virtual ones, but it's still three people shrouded in black with their backs to the audience. The concert was filmed in June 2005 and its release coincides with the Dream's latest tribute to Syd Barrett, Madcap's Flaming Duty. Phaedra is still a miracle in 'melting music' and how those lone piano tones rise up through the water of electronic eddies like bubbling plops is a wonder. Though the performance stretches out to include guitarists, saxophinists (sic) and a strident version of Purple Haze, it never reaches the heights of the classic sound of such tracks as Phaedra's Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares.
Mark Prendergast

Record Collector, July 2007. Page 110
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:
Hobo wrote: The reviewer obviously doesn't know when he is watching genius.
some critics actually liked it:

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra 35th Anniversary
Concert: Live In London
Voiceprint VPDVD 29
Pinch us - it's still incredible
At the height of their fame in 1976 Tangerine Dream had a magnetic pull on Afghan-coated, platform heeled youths. In Dublin in 1976 (sic), the excitement at the National Stadium was palpable. Queues stretched from the Stadium on the outskirts of the city all the way into town. In retrospect, the gig was classic Dream: Peter Baumann, Christoph Franke and Edgar Froese appeared on stage facing their gigantic Moogs, backs to the audience, invisible progenitors of electronic washes of sound.
And that's how this begins, but this time only Froese remains. Instead of real Moogs we get virtual ones, but it's still three people shrouded in black with their backs to the audience. The concert was filmed in June 2005 and its release coincides with the Dream's latest tribute to Syd Barrett, Madcap's Flaming Duty. Phaedra is still a miracle in 'melting music' and how those lone piano tones rise up through the water of electronic eddies like bubbling plops is a wonder. Though the performance stretches out to include guitarists, saxophinists (sic) and a strident version of Purple Haze, it never reaches the heights of the classic sound of such tracks as Phaedra's Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares.
Mark Prendergast

Record Collector, July 2007. Page 110
Mark Prendergast - that's a familiar name. Did he do the liner notes for one of the TD collections?
24db

Post by 24db »

Tangents I think Chris
Schulze

Post by Schulze »

The SBE DVD arrived yesterday and i gave it a quick watch. Excellent stuff, especially the start with Phaedra, Rubycon etc.....

I found the sound quality overall to be perfectly acceptable, although having limited time i did sort of skim through DVD.

Also i didn't notice any problem what so ever with the picture, no white lines or anything... :D

Am gonna give it a more detailed screening later this evening...... :wink:
Be at one with the sequencing.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:Tangents I think Chris
Spot on once again Andy. Just dusted down my copy. Can't believe this came out in 1994. Where does the time go?