Two different mixes of Purgatorio?

Pertou
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Two different mixes of Purgatorio?

Post by Pertou »

On April the second 2005 I bought Purgatorio in a shop, and there was a sticker on it saying 'special import'. I was really surprised, because you don't find TD cd's very often in DK any longer. I bought it instantly. The cover looks like this:

it has bandphotos on page two in the booklet (if side one is the front page), but I also found another cover of Purgatorio in Copenhagen, last week, to the very cheap price of only 6 €. It has band photos on the centrefold pages, and looks like this:

So my question is: I've heard that albums with these two different covers also have slightly different sound mixes. Is it something that the casual fan (like me) can distinguish one from the other? Should I've bought it?

Please help me out, and by the way, none of them have barcodes on the back.
24db

Post by 24db »

the top one was sold at the RFH and has a different mix...from memory the vocals were louder or softer...I can't remember now...Perhaps somebody else can?

there was meant to be some differences in the mixing nevertheless
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:the top one was sold at the RFH and has a different mix...from memory the vocals were louder or softer...I can't remember now...Perhaps somebody else can?
Is it worth buying the other mix? I think Purgatorio is a masterpiece, but can you really tell any significant difference?
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:the top one was sold at the RFH and has a different mix...from memory the vocals were louder or softer...I can't remember now...Perhaps somebody else can?
Is it worth buying the other mix? I think Purgatorio is a masterpiece, but can you really tell any significant difference?
I'm not sure mate...but as the bottom photo is the cheaper version (Fopp were selling this for £5 in London the other month it might be worth checking it out).

Here's Vitn's opinion:

In 2004, roughly two years after the release of Inferno, being the first of the Dante trilogy, the second part, titled Purgatorio, was released on a double CD in March 2004 as a pre-release version available only via internet from the TDI site and selected mail order companies. Similar to Inferno, the official store release was issued a short time later, featuring slightly different cover artwork, including a barcode field that is missing on the pre-release copies. Furthermore the official release has a slightly different sound mix.

note the word 'slightly' :)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Slightly is a subjective word, I should have bought it, and if I couldn't tell the difference, at least the cover is different. 6 euros is not that many beers after all. :oops:
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:Slightly is a subjective word, I should have bought it, and if I couldn't tell the difference, at least the cover is different. 6 euros is not that many beers after all. :oops:
Isn't this in the download section...perhaps you could preview a few tracks and compare them?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I have both versions and although there is not that much diiference having been used to the first issue I noticed that the street version has a albeit slightly clearer sound and if you like Purgatorio go for it mate.
24db

Post by 24db »

I seem to remember there were a few complaints about some slight distortion on the first release
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

24db wrote:I seem to remember there were a few complaints about some slight distortion on the first release
Very slight though Andy more noticeable on Headphones.
24db

Post by 24db »

sparrow wrote:
24db wrote:I seem to remember there were a few complaints about some slight distortion on the first release
got the same impression with the Store vs Eastgate's version of MFD as well mate
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

There's only one way to found out.. I need to acquire both versions of Purgarorio and Madcap's Flaming Duty...
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:There's only one way to found out.. I need to acquire both versions of Purgarorio and Madcap's Flaming Duty...
Sounds as if that Teachers salary is going fast mate
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Ive got the First RFH original which was signed by Jerome at the Merch Stall...........sounds fine to me but cant compere as i only have that one :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:There's only one way to found out.. I need to acquire both versions of Purgarorio and Madcap's Flaming Duty...
Jacob
You are the richest man in Denmark :wink: :wink: :lol:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
sparrow wrote:
got the same impression with the Store vs Eastgate's version of MFD as well mate
Definitly a difference betwween these two releases,i would say the Eastgate release is of far superior sound quality,and we also get the bonus track :D :arrow: