TD on Tape

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD on Tape

Post by 24db »

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -cool.html

Kind of ancient these days...but I'm sure most of use at one time or another started listening to TD on cassette tapes...bless 'em, oh the joys of getting them out of your mate's car stereo everytime it ate them...and spooling about 15 feet of crinkled tape back into the cassette using a Biro :)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I still have a copy of Sorcerer and White Eagle somewhere on Compact Cassette. I swear though, put one in a decent Nakamichi / Revox / Tandberg, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the sound from an average to mid-priced CD player.... :wink:
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:I still have a copy of Sorcerer and White Eagle somewhere on Compact Cassette. I swear though, put one in a decent Nakamichi / Revox / Tandberg, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the sound from an average to mid-priced CD player.... :wink:
hmmm a 25 year old worn tape Vs a CD? ;)

Can't knock the format though for what it is, I heard Logos on cassette on my first Walkman not long after the Dominion gig...it was great to re-live it again 'so-soon'
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:I still have a copy of Sorcerer and White Eagle somewhere on Compact Cassette. I swear though, put one in a decent Nakamichi / Revox / Tandberg, and you'll be hard pressed to tell the sound from an average to mid-priced CD player.... :wink:
hmmm a 25 year old worn tape Vs a CD? ;)

Can't knock the format though for what it is, I heard Logos on cassette on my first Walkman not long after the Dominion gig...it was great to re-live it again 'so-soon'
Well, perhaps not worn... but a deck with azimuth adjustment can 'tune' into practically any cassette and plays at almost master tape quality. After all, many CDs began life as a tape recording.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Having owned samples from all three of aforementioned Cassette Deck brands at some pont or another, I'd comment that NO purchased pre-recorded tape would come ANYWHERE NEAR CD quality, even a cheapo player like a Denon or NAD :!: Why? Because no record company realised or cared what a good cassette deck or tape could do. Even the later switching to "chrome" tape (with normal eq) wouldn't stop deterioration after just a few plays and, anyway, the amount of eq and compression already used for LP's was increased even further when cassettes were mastered.

My engineer mate spent many years trying to get the Decca guys to listen to cassettes with fresh ears to no avail until he took some cassette copies of live recordings he'd made just with a Revox B77 HighSpeed reel to reel recorder to a three head Aiwa cassette deck. They were very surprised how good the sound was but by then it was far too late and cassettes died as a format ten years ago...

P.S. One of the best formats of all was Elcassette. The performance of an EL7 by Sony was just awsome and the tapes took repeated playings in their stride with no problems whatsoever with head clogging or chewing up..

here endeth the sermon :oops:
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I gave almost all my pre recorded tapes way about 4 years ago. I had replaced all of them on cd . In the late 80's I only bought cassetes and now wish I hadn't . Too many of my faves stopped playing or chewed up. I still like blank cassetes and sometimes put a couple of vinyls on to one c90. It's getting more and more difficult to find shops that sell good quality blanks these days . Even our local hi - fi store only stocks the cheap ones. These days I wouldn't consider buying second hand pre recs I even turned my nose up at TD's Firestarter as you just don't know how it will play in the machine.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Top Tape used to sell all the tape brands at good prices...

Second hand decks? Teac had a 7000 and 8000 series of three head decks from 10 years ago are cheap on Ebay and beautifully made. They sound good too..

As for cassette sound - I never had a provlem with "metal" tapes. I recorded some years ago and they still sound good, unlike "normal" Ferric ones...
exit81

Post by exit81 »

My first exposure of TD was on cassette....a C90 with Logos on one side and White Eagle on the other. The thing was, the tape ran a bit too quickly, so when I bought the proper albums, they sounded too slow! The first TD album I ever bought was Logos on cassette, which I still have. Played a bit of it recently, sound quality not great! Why do they call them the 'good old days'??? :D
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

All my early Td stuff was on Tape
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

BM has on compact cassette : V sampler and thats all
...The wise.....are silent.....
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Best place for blank cassettes these days is Richer Sounds website. They were selling TDK SA90s for about 59p each last time I looked. Incredible value for money!

My first music 'software' was a series of cassette compilations I recorded off the radio. I still have them, and listening to them brings back SO many memories - better than any diary could do.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I had about six or seven TD albums on cassette and sold them a few years back :arrow: They served me well :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I love tapes. They're still cool!

Last edited by Pertou on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

Nice Collections. :wink:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢

Post by Pertou »

Laserdisc Dream wrote:Nice Collections. :wink: -
I wish I owned them! :cry: