THE DANTE TRILOGY

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

nightmare strand wrote:BM you have a very eloquent way of summing up. Your opinions surpassed only by the means in which they are expressed, an enjoyable read everytime. Get Edgar to put your words to music.

:lol: 8)

he has already and to come, already is 40 years....especially thee zeit immensity and the phaedra year zero creation event for all EM, and to come the music only edgar can produce......in homage to dalinian soundscapes

these are great days
...The wise.....are silent.....
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

nightmare strand wrote:Looks like my judgement was seriously flawed overall. Inferno proved such a difficult listen that I opted to skip Purgatorio (but still bought all other TD releases, no loss of faith). After a while I thought I'd give the trilogy another chance and bought Paradiso based upon the brief pre-release summary on the TD website. Again it's a testing listen but the first 10 minutes of CD1 are excellent and there are other great passages amongst the rest of the release, just not quite enough overall IMHO, though like many of you, fair play to the maestro for flexing his experimental muscle.

Can you guys tell me if Purgatorio a large enough departure from the other two in terms of musical variations to warrant a purchase?
Purgatorio is MASSIVELY better than either Inferno or Paradiso. It still has lots of vocals but they are great songs, plus the music behind them is really moving and dynamic. You really should get Purgatorio. It will not bore you to tears the way Inferno and Paradiso do. Purgatorio is truly a masterpiece of the highest order.
Lonely Cowboy

Post by Lonely Cowboy »

rattymouse wrote:
nightmare strand wrote:Looks like my judgement was seriously flawed overall. Inferno proved such a difficult listen that I opted to skip Purgatorio (but still bought all other TD releases, no loss of faith). After a while I thought I'd give the trilogy another chance and bought Paradiso based upon the brief pre-release summary on the TD website. Again it's a testing listen but the first 10 minutes of CD1 are excellent and there are other great passages amongst the rest of the release, just not quite enough overall IMHO, though like many of you, fair play to the maestro for flexing his experimental muscle.

Can you guys tell me if Purgatorio a large enough departure from the other two in terms of musical variations to warrant a purchase?
Purgatorio is MASSIVELY better than either Inferno or Paradiso. It still has lots of vocals but they are great songs, plus the music behind them is really moving and dynamic. You really should get Purgatorio. It will not bore you to tears the way Inferno and Paradiso do. Purgatorio is truly a masterpiece of the highest order.
The whole Dante Trilogy is a true MASTERPIECE! All the three parts contain outstanding music! Each part refers to its spiritual theme and it would have been totally wrong to compose all parts with the same dynamics.. To be honest maybe only 10 per cent of us electronic music lovers have understood this special composition, the story behind which is essential to know and most of us have no access to operatic music - therefore it's a WONDER that so many of us - like me - love this series anyway. Did nobody think about the fact that WE "simple" electronic music lovers are maybe not the target audience for this special series??? What do we think who we are?? We maybe have no access to this music, but the music itself CAN'T be bad at all. We maybe have a simple musical taste, we always want the same, same, same !:lol: God thanks, my wife and her friends really love this series, they very soon got into the music and played the cds to death. I think Edgar was right when mentioning in an interview: more women please!! :wink:
Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience. OSCAR WILDE
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

The whole Dante trilogy is really very different from what we're used from TD. I must admit I've got problems with the operatic vocals on these albums. But the voices of Iris Camaa and Jayney Klimek are just fantastic. Another problem are the different languages (English, French, Italian, Spanish), because it's very difficult to follow Dante's story this way.

From a purely musical point of view however, the whole trilogy is something very special. I don't like "Inferno" that much 'cause it's a bit too static for its subject matter; I'd have expected much more dramatic music for a voyage into hell and back. I do enjoy "Purgatorio" and "Paradiso", they're both very long, but the songs are simply wonderful and there are highly dramatic moments on both of them which I miss on "Inferno".

On a 10 scale rating I'd consider "Inferno" a 3/10, "Purgatorio" a 9/10 and "Paradiso" a 7/10. I don't play these albums very often, but just because they really demand close and concentrated listening. I admire Edgar Froese for this work as well as his courage. Speaking for myself, I guess I'll need much more time to "digest" this almost 6 hours long work. :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I must admit to enjoying the Dante trilogu,if i had to pick a favorite part from the three it would be Purgatorio :arrow: I still enjoyed that show very much 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I have to say that, like most fans, I was a bit worried when I heard that the next TD album was going to be a Rock Opera; literally. At first I thought that my original opinion was well founded until I got to Justice of the Karma Law, the track just sucked me in and the following two tracks just continued the enjoyment. From there I went back and started listening to the opening tracks again and finding that I liked them more and more. Whilst the music on the opening tracks may not be amongst TD’s best, the singing is on occasion simply sublime. So to me it’s a bit of a flawed masterpiece.

When it came to the Purgatorio show at the RFH, I was again a little concerned but with the opening notes of Above the Great Dry Land my fears just evaporated. For TD it was a fairly low-key show, being content to let the singers just get on with the job at hand. When I got home from the show I put the CDs in the player and they remained there for several weeks and they still get an airing on a regular basis. Purgatorio, for me then, has to be something of a TD classic.

Paradiso has been a slow grower for me. There wasn’t any particular track that hooked me in like Inferno and Purgatorio but I’ve been playing it consistently since its release. My only complaint about it would be that the sound, to my ears, is a little muddy and there’s not much separation between the individual instruments. As with Inferno, I’d say that it’s a flawed masterpiece.

Overall I would say that the Dante series has been, for me, a success. I listen to them fairly regularly and derive a lot of pleasure from them. If TD decide to do something similar in the future I wouldn’t be too upset.
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!: :!: :!:

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢
hansx

Post by hansx »

For me these 3 are not the greatest in my collection. I hardly don't play them. The instrumental pieces are reasonable, but the vocals are not my cup of tea. I didn't buy the dvd yet. Don't know if I will do that in future. Maybe a copy is also ok for me. It isn't a must.
timer

Post by timer »

For me these three CDs have been well and truely stored away ! I cant bear to listen to the first and last , a couple of great tracks on the second one - see I cant even name the things ! :oops:

Don't think Ive watched all of the live DVD from Inferno yet either ! :roll:
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

timer wrote:Don't think Ive watched all of the live DVD from Inferno yet either ! :roll:
Me too, I guess

I always fall asleep after forty minutes, sleeps for twenty, and wakes up for the conclusion, where I find it really exciting.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
timer wrote:Don't think Ive watched all of the live DVD from Inferno yet either ! :roll:
Me too, I guess

I always fall asleep after forty minutes, sleeps for twenty, and wakes up for the conclusion, where I find it really exciting.
lol
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:
Me too, I guess

lol
:arrow: :mrgreen:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I also fell asleep once while listening to "Inferno". At least until the heavy sequencer started in "Fallen For Death", a fantastic composition. :wink:
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

MrCox wrote:I also fell asleep once while listening to "Inferno". At least until the heavy sequencer started in "Fallen For Death", a fantastic composition. :wink:
Sheesh...I'll have to drink plenty of coffee and try Inferno again. I dont recall that track. That album knocks me out real fast.
ricochetp2

Post by ricochetp2 »

I would like to say that I have very much enjoyed the Dante series.

Inferno: I have found this to be the most differcult in appreciating. I feel on the whole that there is not enough variation. The DVD does make the music better and it is one of the best put together of all the Dvd's

Purgatorio: This is a brilliant recording. I went to the concert and like it, but once I got the music on Cd it really grow on me. The variation of singing, great sequencing and stirring drum rhythms. It had everything in the music that made it a joy to listen too.

Paradiso: I went to the concert in Brandenburg and thought it was a great evening. I had a front seat only perhaps 10 feet away from all the singers. The blend of the orchestra and Tangerine dream's electronic music was superb. I have to say that the Cd recording of the concert was a bit of a let down as it loses alot of the orchestra's instrumentation. I have a fan recording of the concert and that is far better IMHO. I rate this as good as Purgatorio. The variation of the different singing styles along with beautiful orchestrations is really I find quite emotional.

I can not wait until the DVD's are available of the last two parts are available.