Original Private Albums Vs Melrose Years

Cyclone
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Cyclone »

I like both: the originals and the MY triple.
For me most of the rerecordings are really interesting alternatives to the original tracks (similar as good live versions of the initial releases).
I am not a completist, but for me it's worthwhile to have this set besides the originals.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

DaveAS wrote:On the "rerecordings", echo/reverb seem to have been added across the entire mix, resulting in a very muddy sound. If this wasn't bad enough, the extra percussion lines very rarely relate to the underlying music.

There's also the infamous "CD skipping" sound on Cool of Heart, which has already been flogged to death in the past. TD's official explanation for this felt like a*s* covering I have to say (imho only of course).

As a fan of the original Private Music albums, sorry, but I absolutely hate the reworked versions.

Cheers,
Dave
What was TD's explanation??
DaveAS

Post by DaveAS »

rattymouse wrote:
DaveAS wrote: There's also the infamous "CD skipping" sound on Cool of Heart, which has already been flogged to death in the past. TD's official explanation for this felt like a*s* covering I have to say (imho only of course).
They emailed this statement to those who complained at the time:
(old TD shop email) wrote: we have had repeated comments and questions about a skipping sound that can
be heard on track six of CD three of the Melrose Years Box ('Cool at Heart'
on Melrose). The sound appears around 2:23 and then again at the end of the
song. After talking to Edgar Froese, we can assure you that this sound is
neither a mastering flaw nor the result of a faulty pressing, but a
deliberate effect created by a filter plugin that chops up sound bytes. If
you watch the time display on your CD-player you will see that the CD runs
through in a normal fashion when the sound appears and if you listen
closely, you will notice that the 'skipping'-sound is in sync with the
tempo of the piece. This was intentional and is no cause for alarm. You
will not need to return your disc, as teh sound effect will be found on
every one of them.
That'll be the "CD skipping sound" filter plugin then? :wink:

It's hard to imagine a situation where Edgar would think, "oh yes, this CD skipping sound really fits the mood of the track".

Oh well, as I said before, this one's already been done to death.

Cheers,
Dave
JD

Post by JD »

DaveAS wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
DaveAS wrote: There's also the infamous "CD skipping" sound on Cool of Heart, which has already been flogged to death in the past. TD's official explanation for this felt like a*s* covering I have to say (imho only of course).
They emailed this statement to those who complained at the time:
(old TD shop email) wrote: we have had repeated comments and questions about a skipping sound that can
be heard on track six of CD three of the Melrose Years Box ('Cool at Heart'
on Melrose). The sound appears around 2:23 and then again at the end of the
song. After talking to Edgar Froese, we can assure you that this sound is
neither a mastering flaw nor the result of a faulty pressing, but a
deliberate effect created by a filter plugin that chops up sound bytes. If
you watch the time display on your CD-player you will see that the CD runs
through in a normal fashion when the sound appears and if you listen
closely, you will notice that the 'skipping'-sound is in sync with the
tempo of the piece. This was intentional and is no cause for alarm. You
will not need to return your disc, as teh sound effect will be found on
every one of them.
That'll be the "CD skipping sound" filter plugin then? :wink:

It's hard to imagine a situation where Edgar would think, "oh yes, this CD skipping sound really fits the mood of the track".

Oh well, as I said before, this one's already been done to death.

Cheers,
Dave

even though its been done to death it still makes me shudder to think that pointing out the normal motion of the CD players timer as proof this wasnt a fault was something they thought was a good explanation for what was obviously an error on the master recording ...not the CD itself.
I guess they really didnt want to get them remastered and repressed ;) the most bizarre thing was the people who believed it and said things like "king edgar has spoken" ....oh ok then, thank God he didnt also tell us the world was flat or i would never have booked that round the world trip !
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

JD wrote:
even though its been done to death it still makes me shudder to think that pointing out the normal motion of the CD players timer as proof this wasnt a fault was something they thought was a good explanation for what was obviously an error on the master recording ...not the CD itself.
I guess they really didnt want to get them remastered and repressed ;) the most bizarre thing was the people who believed it and said things like "king edgar has spoken" ....oh ok then, thank God he didnt also tell us the world was flat or i would never have booked that round the world trip !
JD..... Even back in the days of your king, Chris Franke, there were real errors on releases. For example, my Encore LP has none TD music on side 2 instead of Monolight. I could moan about that :wink: but I don't because it is still my favourite album (even without Monolight) along with Summer in Negasaki and Madcap's Flaming Duty.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
JD

Post by JD »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
JD wrote:
JD..... Even back in the days of your king, Chris Franke, there were real errors on releases. For example, my Encore LP has none TD music on side 2 instead of Monolight. I could moan about that but I don't because it is still my favourite album (even without Monolight) along with Summer in Negasaki and Madcap's Flaming Duty.
I've never said Chris Franke was my King ever. In fact I've mentioned before how the only TD member to have ever released solo material that really sounds anything like classic TD is Edgar, which speaks volumes to me.
Besides, errors made back in the days of LP's were nothing to do with TD but the label/distributor/manufacturer. Nobody is questioning that errors can be made by anybody, I thought it was just ludicrous that they gave such an excuse and that people believed it, but maybe its to do with some people not having any technical knowledge ? more music fans rather than tech anoraks you might say.
I know you've included the two new titles in your favourites because you think I'm a die hard retro fan but these days i'm not.I think TD went through a very dodgy area for a while but these days I enjoy everything they release, MFD, SIN, most of Summer too, the recent EPs, JOA, all classic !
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush