Tangerine Dream on the radio

HYPERBOREA
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tangerine Dream on the radio

Post by HYPERBOREA »

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard TD on the radio ?

In my 30 odd years following them ive only heard them on the radio a few times. I was a bit too young when John Peel was playing Atem and I think he may have made it his album of the year or something !

I can remember Hyperborea making Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show Chart on Radio One. One week he played the title track and the following week Cinnamon Road. The next week it fell out of his top 30. Too much competion from Rush, Saxon and Def Leppard I expect !

Other than that I can remember hearing Tyger, London and Smile being played on some obscure station which had a foreign DJ trying to speek English.

Other than that ive heard nothing else at all
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Alan (fluff) Freeman payed a whole 40 odd minutes from the 75 tour. Appart from that I've hardly heard any TD. Stuart Maconie does play the odd bit on his Freak Zone on six music.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

That Freak Zone is a good show IMHO,i knew nothing about it until Andy told me about it last year...........GOOD 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

I heard a snippet of an interview with Edgar & u hum !(CF) in 1986.
But we havent got radio yet down yer in zomerset.
24db

Re: Tangerine Dream on the radio

Post by 24db »

HYPERBOREA wrote:I was wondering if anyone has ever heard TD on the radio ?

In my 30 odd years following them ive only heard them on the radio a few times. I was a bit too young when John Peel was playing Atem and I think he may have made it his album of the year or something !

I can remember Hyperborea making Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show Chart on Radio One. One week he played the title track and the following week Cinnamon Road. The next week it fell out of his top 30. Too much competion from Rush, Saxon and Def Leppard I expect !

Other than that I can remember hearing Tyger, London and Smile being played on some obscure station which had a foreign DJ trying to speek English.

Other than that ive heard nothing else at all
Stuart Maconie has recently made Phaedra his LP of the week...twice...playing over 22 minutes of it (on Radio 6). He also played 18 minutes or so from Poland. Edgar has featured on a fair number of radio shows, the most recent one was a radio 6 on EM, before that BBC radio Scotland in 1997, Mixing it Berlin special 1999?, the story of the Mellotron, some programme with Paul Morley....I have about 36 recordings.

A few months back Edgar featured on Swedish radio
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I discovered TD having heard Tommy Vance play the second part of Barbakane on the Friday Rock show.

Since then, I think I have only heard them once... this would have been in the late nineties when a single from Tyranny of Beauty or Goblins Club was out. I was gobsmacked, as it was on national Radio One... I was driving back from Devon on a Sunday afternoon. Alas, I cannot remember whose show it was, or the precise track that was played.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

fluff freeman played rah 75 a few times....bm has tapes.....once he played rah only to fade it out when the sequencers kicked in, not arf
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

whilst on the subject...Richard Skinner interviewed Chris and Edgar in 1984 and played excerpts from Poland.

Wade Gordon and Lou Gentile also did a 2 hour? interview with Edgar in the States (Edgar was interviewed over the phone at 4.00am CET) This was in 2002
Last edited by 24db on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

On a slightly different tack, I remember a TV quiz show hosted by Paul McKenna in the late eighties (I forget what it was called)... when the audience had to vote, the cameras panned onto the audience, studio lights went doo-lally, and 'Love on a Real Train' played over the speaker.

Also, an episode of David Attenborough's 'Life on Earth' looked at single cell organisms under the microscope to the accompaniment of the first bars of 'Rubvcon Part One'.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

In the U.S., some of the material from the 90s finds it way onto New Age radio programs, which speaks volumes, IMO.
24db

Post by 24db »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:In the U.S., some of the material from the 90s finds it way onto New Age radio programs, which speaks volumes, IMO.
New Age has an audience? ;)
coldwater

Post by coldwater »

ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.
24db

Post by 24db »

coldwater wrote:ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!
they also used TD for the opening ceremony of the LA Olympics I seem to remember.

Back to the radio bit....I'm looking into posting an audio blog of the very early radio appearances of TD (no music, just interviews and adverts). Would this be popular I wonder?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
coldwater wrote:ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!
they also used TD for the opening ceremony of the LA Olympics I seem to remember.

Back to the radio bit....I'm looking into posting an audio blog of the very early radio appearances of TD (no music, just interviews and adverts). Would this be popular I wonder?
It would certainly be popular with me,and im sure many others...... 8)

re: The Olympics....... are we talking about 1984 or the Special Olympics?
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

It would certainly be popular with me,and im sure many others...... 8)

re: The Olympics....... are we talking about 1984 or the Special Olympics?
the main olympics...they played several JIVE label TD tracks