Tangerine Dream plus what else ?

HYPERBOREA
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Tangerine Dream plus what else ?

Post by HYPERBOREA »

It has always interested me what other music TD fans listen to.

Some regular contributors to this forum seem to have an incedible knowledge of Elecronic Music but I am wondering if there is anyone out there with similar tastes to me.

For me TD are the pinnacle (no pun intended) of Electronic Music and I prefer to listen to them rather than KS, JMJ, K, K, US, V, GC etc which I know are very popular with a lot of you

My tastes seem to go back from TD more in the direction of Rock such
as Barclay James Harvest, Roger Waters, Neil Young and early Genesis

Is there anyone out there who feels the same as me ?
24db

Post by 24db »

Nope, totally different I think (although, it's often funny to think we're all 'one-offs' only to find so many CDs we love in other peoples collections).

Can't stand Prog (no disrespect to people who like the genre) it's just my personal taste. Basically anything electronic though, the only truely acoustic stuff i like is Bee Bop Jazz and Classical.

Funny you should mention Roger Waters...I've just bought 3 discs of his for my girlfriend
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

TD is my favourite music. The other electronic music I like is by Jonn Serrie, Optical Image (Tom Habes), Jan Hammer and Jean Michel Jarre.

Besides electronic music my favourite pop music is Genesis (with Phil Collins on vocals), Kate Bush, Judie Tzuke, Human League, Celine Dion and Cocteau Twins.

My favourite classical music is by Bach, Bruckner and Cesar Franck.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

You can see what i like on my Myspace page,a big fan of all electronics,but to me TD are the masters.............

Classically i like Stravinsky,Shostakovich,Hadyn and Bach :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

Besides TD there is a wide range of pop and rock music in my collection. Especially I'm very fond of 80's synth pop (Eurythmics were the first band I loved, besides them Human League, Ultravox, Talk Talk, Pet Shop Boys and many others ... and of course the fathers of this style Kraftwerk).
Then I discovered Pink Floyd and from there I went on to different Prog Rock bands (Genesis, King Crimson, Jefferson Airplane and so on) and later the so-called "Krautrock" (Can, Amon Düül II, Neu! and of course TD :wink: ).
At one point I even got into the Beatles.

I also admire singer/songwriters like Tori Amos and Kate Bush.
Then there are many bands of recent times, especially I'm into British rock music at the moment (Franz Ferdinand, Maximo Park, Bloc Party) and indie music (especially Arcade Fire). There I discovered that I must be getting old, as some band members of Bloc Party are years younger than myself (I'm 29 by the way :wink: ).
What electronic music is concerned I don't listen to many other bands than TD. I never got into Jarre for example. But I must confess I enjoy the music by Mouse On Mars, a fellow student introduced me to them a few years ago.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

I was once told I had very catholic tastes in my LP and CD collection. A shame I can't expand it further at present, as there are so many new EM discs I'd like.

My Rock tastes are very much of my generation , although I fell in love with Toyah at the time (met her too) and I'll always listen to Siouxsie + Banshees post Join Hands..

My wife loves ACDC and Queen and has recently bought CD's by Kasabian and Linkin Park, which I don't mind (apart from the dire production on some of them).

I find myself agreeing with much of D_V's non TD tastes, although my "classical" CD's are stored away at present. However, "wouldn't I just die without Mahler..."
Last edited by DSJR on Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

ryuichi sakamoto
kraftwerk
gina x
jarre
80s pop (from abc to yello)

but td stands lightyears above of it ....... td is my god and icon :D ........ arround 80% of what i´m hearing per day is td :shock:
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

[quote="DSJR"]I was once yold I had very catholic tastes in my LP and CD collection. A shame I can't expand it further at present, as there are so many new EM discs I'd like.

and I'll always listen to Siouxsie + Banshees post Join Hands..

One of my favorite albums Dave,i bought it as a whippersnapper when it came out and loved it 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Icons was the track that hooked me... I seem to be a sucker for tons of gloomy reverb - and sequences of course :lol:

Ju Ju is one of my favourite Siouxsie albums. A shame the recent remastering isn't so good apparently - the engineer had a reputation for tinkering with everything...
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I won't get into namedropping here.
Apart from TD and related stuff, I like music ranging from new age, satanic heavy metal, avantgarde, and simple rock and roll.
I really dig music that talk down to my emotional state. Before TD it was Mike Oldfield, and when I was a teenager Black Sabbath and Iced Earth summed up my aggressive feelings. Opeth was the link between metal and the more progressive stuff, which evolved into the worship of TD.

Today it's just music. I go for the same values, whatever band it is. It has to catch my attention and emotions
timer

Post by timer »

All you have to do is look at the 'Music' thread to see how diverse in musical taste's we have on this forum.

Like many others on this forum TD are number 1 for both myself and my partner.

I was bought up on classical music, and basically 'rock' music (in whatever form) was the 'sperm of the devil' ! hence probably why I started to listen to Vangelis and Tomita at quite an early age (quite a long time before the Tangs hit my stereo space).
School friends influenced most other genre's I listened to, can quite fondly remember being handed the complete Led Zeppelin recordings to wade through an wow that was a turning point. Everything from Motorhead through punk , Hendrix and anything else that I could get on my deck went on it.

What did strike me at an early age was going to see bands like Queen where every other person was wearing a Rush T shirt, and when I saw Rush every other was wearing a Queen shirt, this is when I started to become aware of similar taste's.

The diversity of people's musical listening is incredibly healthy. And IMHO I think a lot of us like very similar things.
24db

Post by 24db »

I think we should start a sort of 'hidden gems' section where we can recommend the obscure stuff we've discovered over the years (or perhaps just a track or two that we think is amazing and would like to share).
timer

Post by timer »

Go for it Andy.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:I think we should start a sort of 'hidden gems' section where we can recommend the obscure stuff we've discovered over the years (or perhaps just a track or two that we think is amazing and would like to share).
Like a music blog? I got some death metal demo tapes I could upload! haha
timer

Post by timer »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:I think we should start a sort of 'hidden gems' section where we can recommend the obscure stuff we've discovered over the years (or perhaps just a track or two that we think is amazing and would like to share).
Like a music blog? I got some death metal demo tapes I could upload! haha
Exactly what we need JP ! you could be surprised how many others like this type of music. Most of the new Local bands starting up in this area are trying to immitate the Death Metal thing, gets tedious as immitation !.
Personally DM is a bit much but I do listen fondly to Motorhead & the 'other' big German band Rammstein, can't understand a word but the music and performance are fantatastic.