40th anniversary fans favourite albums

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:I recently spoke to somebody who met him (PS I mean) and he hated writing the last half of book, completely loathed it. Sounds like the publisher had to force him to finish it. For him it was Heaven (1974-1977) and his personal Hell (eveything else). So much for the objective writer. The writer for the book should have been Karl Dallas or (Barry) Miles, they were the only ones (for the most part) who got TD and could string together two words without their ego and bile dripping into every word. IMHO...obviously
agreed almost

I think, apart from Edgar's book, the real TD biography has yet to be written (and this is something I have long desired to try to do.....but this will have to wait until I can write proper englishe, as Im still only semi literate).....hopefully within my lifetime
...The wise.....are silent.....
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

24db wrote:I recently spoke to somebody who met him (PS I mean) and he hated writing the last half of book, completely loathed it. Sounds like the publisher had to force him to finish it. For him it was Heaven (1974-1977) and his personal Hell (eveything else). So much for the objective writer. The writer for the book should have been Karl Dallas or (Barry) Miles, they were the only ones (for the most part) who got TD and could string together two words without their ego and bile dripping into every word. IMHO...obviously
The man expressed his opinion in his book. I dont see what the problem is. I have read hatchet jobs written by others on other topics that makes Stump's book positively glowing in comparison.
ant

Post by ant »

:) I don't mind constructive criticism and would expect to see some albums slagged off but in this book it seemed like everything was slagged off after 1979. I just felt I had wasted money on it as I was never likely to read it again with so much negativity in it. You can put up with some but that was just too much, IMHO!! :)
Biggus Dickus
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

the problem is (was) that now and at the time there is NOTHING written on Tangerine Dream in a definitive way, 40 years a band and there is zippo on my coffee table, NIHIL on the bookshelf to totem my favourite music.....how very very depressing
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:the problem is (was) that now and at the time there is NOTHING written on Tangerine Dream in a definitive way, 40 years a band and there is zippo on my coffee table, NIHIL on the bookshelf to totem my favourite music.....how very very depressing
Waiting for Edgar's biography will im sure be very much worth the wait... :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:the problem is (was) that now and at the time there is NOTHING written on Tangerine Dream in a definitive way, 40 years a band and there is zippo on my coffee table, NIHIL on the bookshelf to totem my favourite music.....how very very depressing
I agree with you there Mooger. However, the lack of books on TD's is not Stump's fault. The level of vitrial displayed here over his book is really totally uncalled for. Sure, disagree with him, but respect him. He gives his honest opinion. He did NOT write a hatchet job on TD. Anyone who has witnessed a real hatchet job, filled with personal attacks, can see that.
JD

Post by JD »

rattymouse wrote:
I agree with you there Mooger. However, the lack of books on TD's is not Stump's fault. The level of vitrial displayed here over his book is really totally uncalled for. Sure, disagree with him, but respect him. He gives his honest opinion. He did NOT write a hatchet job on TD. Anyone who has witnessed a real hatchet job, filled with personal attacks, can see that.
This is a bit of a problem here as I think the regular posters are way too close to TDs music as die hard fans to look at things from other perspectives.
I've always found bad reviews of TD are met here with the kind of reaction you'd expect if they had been insulted personally. I see it also when people say they like an album and its followed by a series of replies saying how glad they are the other person likes it, I think some fans take this music as thier own ;)
Its not surprising though when Edgar describes his audience as "intelligent" and critics as "Dancing Grizzlies" or other wonderful things like "you are what you hear" , in which case I daren't look in the mirror when Inferno is playing ;)
I've read some of Stumps book and it isnt that flattering, but it really cant have sold that many copies anyway.
I'm looking forward to Edgars book, but I'm also a little anxious about how biased it may be.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

JD wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
This is a bit of a problem here as I think the regular posters are way too close to TDs music as die hard fans to look at things from other perspectives.
I've always found bad reviews of TD are met here with the kind of reaction you'd expect if they had been insulted personally. I see it also when people say they like an album and its followed by a series of replies saying how glad they are the other person likes it, I think some fans take this music as thier own ;)
Its not surprising though when Edgar describes his audience as "intelligent" and critics as "Dancing Grizzlies" or other wonderful things like "you are what you hear" , in which case I daren't look in the mirror when Inferno is playing ;)
I've read some of Stumps book and it isnt that flattering, but it really cant have sold that many copies anyway.
I'm looking forward to Edgars book, but I'm also a little anxious about how biased it may be.
It is very smart of you to be wary of Edgar's book. You obviously are aware of the credibilty issues. I'll read it, but also, be extremely wary unless backed up by a second source.

Funny thing about Stump's book. It is far, far easier to get a copy of his book here in the US than it is to get any TD album. All the major bookstores usually have a copy in the music section, but have long long ago dropped carrying any TD albums. Bizzare.
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Good points JD

Edgar's book biased? yep...it'll from his point of you. If you wrote it , it would be biased the same way if I wrote one...fact of life. However it should make for interesting reading...and more importantly for me, we'll get to read something new about our favourite band.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

rattymouse wrote:
I agree with you Tom. It's just his opinion, although I have to admit he doesn't come across as a huge fan and his writing style is rather verbose.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
JD

Post by JD »

24db wrote:
JD wrote:
rattymouse wrote: I agree with you there Mooger. However, the lack of books on TD's is not Stump's fault. The level of vitrial displayed here over his book is really totally uncalled for. Sure, disagree with him, but respect him. He gives his honest opinion. He did NOT write a hatchet job on TD. Anyone who has witnessed a real hatchet job, filled with personal attacks, can see that.
Good points JD

Edgar's book biased? yep...it'll from his point of you. If you wrote it , it would be biased the same way if I wrote one...fact of life. However it should make for interesting reading...and more importantly for me, we'll get to read something new about our favourite band.
Yes absolutely but I hope it wont be biased in an untrutheful way regarding what past members contributed etc not that we would ever really know !
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

JD wrote:
24db wrote:
JD wrote: This is a bit of a problem here as I think the regular posters are way too close to TDs music as die hard fans to look at things from other perspectives.
Good points JD

Yes absolutely but I hope it wont be biased in an untrutheful way regarding what past members contributed etc not that we would ever really know !
I think it will be truthful, insofar as Edgar remembers it. Let's face it, some of the details may be hazy after all this time. Hell, I have trouble recalling what I did yesterday!
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:
24db wrote:
JD wrote: This is a bit of a problem here as I think the regular posters are way too close to TDs music as die hard fans to look at things from other perspectives.
Good points JD

I think that's the point JD, up until now we've had next to nothing to go on. Bar Chris Franke is a nice bloke....let's believe 'everything he's ever said' or Edgar 'He's a bit of lad, and know's how to sell Coals to Newcastle' therefore everything he's ever said is utter rubbish and made up. Neither of these statments is 100% true and the more we have, the more we can decide what 'our TD history is'...I say our, because we all shape what we think we know round 'our version'...I'm aware I do it all the time. However (for me) a book (any book) should tell me something I didn't know, Edgar's book I'm pretty sure will do this.

As a collector of TD memorabilia (or junk as it's sometimes called), I've noticed over the last month or two that a small piece of information can change your whole idea about TD, for me that's exciting, in the same way that chatting to other fans in person is; you always learn something new, sometimes you find your opinions are totally wrong and you have to change them and from time to time something you thought was common knowledge shocks the other person, out of a particular comfort zone. If a small snippet can do this...what can a book do?
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

So Edgar didn't sell coals to Newcastle then? :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:So Edgar didn't sell coals to Newcastle then? :wink:
well he did appear on BBC radio Newcastle...what happened after the interview is...er legend ;)