white eagle

rotwang
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by rotwang »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:2. What was the first Tangerine Dream record you bought? where did you buy it, where did you play it and what did you think of it? :)
Oh, go on since you've asked. Phaedra - 1974 - Coutts record shop, Horley. I rushed straight home to play it. Such strange, mystical soundscapes. I was like a ship being drawn onto the rocks, by the call of the siren. Enticing and magical! I still get adore this album, but would love the opportunity to have that first listen again. :D
Might as well add my two cents' worth here as well. ... Rubycon, 1975, SOOTO (for Something Out Of The Ordinary) Records, Shreveport, La. Tiny store but with a very good imports selection. A schoolmate had told me "the only non-keyboard instrument TD plays is the guitar." Not even drums? I was intrigued. When those sequencers kicked in about five or six minutes into side one, I knew I had something unique. And it's been a wonderful musical odyssey ever since.

And just to get back on topic, White Eagle is a wonderful release. The title song is something even my wife appreciates, though I'm more impressed with the very dramatic Sphinx Lightning.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
24db

Post by 24db »

rotwang wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:2. What was the first Tangerine Dream record you bought? where did you buy it, where did you play it and what did you think of it? :)
Oh, go on since you've asked. Phaedra - 1974 - Coutts record shop, Horley. I rushed straight home to play it. Such strange, mystical soundscapes. I was like a ship being drawn onto the rocks, by the call of the siren. Enticing and magical! I still get adore this album, but would love the opportunity to have that first listen again. :D
Might as well add my two cents' worth here as well. ... Rubycon, 1975, SOOTO (for Something Out Of The Ordinary) Records, Shreveport, La. Tiny store but with a very good imports selection. A schoolmate had told me "the only non-keyboard instrument TD plays is the guitar." Not even drums? I was intrigued. When those sequencers kicked in about five or six minutes into side one, I knew I had something unique. And it's been a wonderful musical odyssey ever since.

And just to get back on topic, White Eagle is a wonderful release. The title song is something even my wife appreciates, though I'm more impressed with the very dramatic Sphinx Lightning.
I'll include with the rest if you like Rotwang...I just need a first name or initials
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Is'nt Sphinx Lightning on Hyperborea :? :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

mojave plan imo is one of the best titles ever.......... great sequencerlines, wonderful harmonies, bombastic percussive sounds...... all in all it has the flow :)
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

krismopompas wrote:mojave plan imo is one of the best titles ever.......... great sequencerlines, wonderful harmonies, bombastic percussive sounds...... all in all it has the flow :)
Must agree,a totally phenomenal piece of electronic sound :arrow: Nobody comes near IMHO 8)
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

epsilon75 wrote:Is'nt Sphinx Lightning on Hyperborea :? :wink:
Mea culpa. I meant Mojave Plan. It's a b*tch getting senile, ain't it? :?
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

rotwang wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Is'nt Sphinx Lightning on Hyperborea :? :wink:
Mea culpa. I meant Mojave Plan. It's a b*tch getting senile, ain't it? :?
I know the feeling mate :wink: :wink:
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

epsilon75 wrote:
krismopompas wrote:mojave plan imo is one of the best titles ever.......... great sequencerlines, wonderful harmonies, bombastic percussive sounds...... all in all it has the flow :)
Must agree,a totally phenomenal piece of electronic sound :arrow: Nobody comes near IMHO 8)
melbourne 1982 from the tree :)
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
24db

Post by 24db »

krismopompas wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
melbourne 1982 from the tree :)
fantastic music from TD best tour IMHO
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Hobo wrote:
Hobo, EVERY time I listen to Phaedra I get that "first listen" all over again. Just the first few seconds sends me back to 1974 in Aylesbury, such was the life changing effect it had on me.

I must admit that the ending of Mojave Plan gives me similar goosebumps and I just want to play it louder and louder at the end (once, I was able to) :wink:
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

Here some Movement for Mojave Plan.
0:00, 2:41, 10:29, 15:06

:arrow:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢
coldwater

Post by coldwater »

some interesting thoughts on white eagle;
what is the explanation behind the banging bucket?
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.
24db

Re: white eagle

Post by 24db »

coldwater wrote:Just listened to the album again, after a lapse of a few years, through headphones at full blast: i had forgotten what a superb album this is (despite this tape hiss)

Anybody know the reason/idea behind the isolated percussion (can only liken it to a kid banging on a bucket) about 3 minutes into Mojave Plan? it is almost/is out of timing with the melodic rhythm.
can't hear anything out of time....it's in 5/4

Btw the cluster/Orchestral crescendo at the end of Mojave Plan has never been bettered as way to end a TD track (IMHO)...brilliant!

oh and Chris Franke's sequencer work on the title track, with it's double speed synchopated echoed 'ghost' notes, rim shots with reverb tails, leading into the plodding (but never obvious) jumping bass line are just stunning and sound just as fresh as they did in 1982.
coldwater

Re: white eagle

Post by coldwater »

24db wrote:
coldwater wrote:Just listened to the album again, after a lapse of a few years, through headphones at full blast: i had forgotten what a superb album this is (despite this tape hiss)

Anybody know the reason/idea behind the isolated percussion (can only liken it to a kid banging on a bucket) about 3 minutes into Mojave Plan? it is almost/is out of timing with the melodic rhythm.
can't hear anything out of time....it's in 5/4

Btw the cluster/Orchestral crescendo at the end of Mojave Plan has never been bettered as way to end a TD track (IMHO)...brilliant!

oh and Chris Franke's sequencer work on the title track, with it's double speed synchopated echoed 'ghost' notes, rim shots with reverb tails, leading into the plodding (but never obvious) jumping bass line are just stunning and sound just as fresh as they did in 1982.

i agree, the ending is sublime; up there with the end sequence to desert dream.
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I had a listen to White Eagle again late last night. A fabulous CD and IMO one of the remasters that actually sounds a lot better. I even found myself enjoying Convention of the 24 which I used to think was average. Mojave Plan is stunning and throughout all 5 movements there is so much variety and mood changes I had to put the live in Melbourne version on the Boot 'Ratikon' just to hear this opus live.