Vault releases

Desert_Voyager
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Desert_Voyager »

I am utterly outraged by the fact that Franke will not return the master tapes to the founder of TD.
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
timer

Post by timer »

I was hoping that these recordings would have ended up being handed down to Jerome, so he could have done the remastering business on them.
Real shame that CF has them, as they could well not see the light of day, if 'the' dispute is as :evil: as is to be believed.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Michael66 wrote:Ok, so I just got hold of a copy of the "Eclipsed" magazine. It's a very interesting interview with an Edgar outright wallowing in sarcasm. Anyway, in the interview, Edgar doesn't exactly say that the vault tapes are in "Herrn C. Franke's" possession. Here's the relevant part of the interview (my translation from German to English, so bear with me if it sounds a bit funny):

--------

"A lot of fans are upset about the way you've rewritten TD's sound history. For example, within the Dream Roots Box, all Mellotron sounds got replaced by shallow digitalization, which destroys the magic of the old recordings. What made you do it?"

Edgar: "A detailed answer to this question will be given in my book about TD. In a lawsuit lasting for several years I've tried getting hold of the primal multitapes that were placed in storage at Mr. C. Franke's whereabouts. But like I said, more about this and about the necessity of editing old recordings soon on many informative pages."

--------

So the way I understand this, Franke is in possession of the multitrack masters of the studio albums he participated in. No word about "vault" live recordings here... but oh my, I just hope Ed hasn't put all eggs into just one basket.
I hope these tapes are being looked after, I once saw in a clients (rented) garage, all the masters for Wishbone Ash *hiding* under a tarpaulin and stacked on the floor. I shudder to think whether they're playable now...
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

The crazy thing is that any tapes Franke has in his possession have no market value for him too. If there'd be a legal situation allowing him to release what he has, he'd have done so by now I suppose. But this way, everybody loses, and in a decade or two the demand for 70s/80s TD recordings will be close to zero, with the possible exception of the German Museum buying the stuff. Stupid really.

Here's an example of somebody caring about his own musical history and old analog master tapes in general:
http://tinyurl.com/ynm88w (Link to Eroc's Mastering Ranch)

That's the way you do it ... read and weep.
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:The crazy thing is that any tapes Franke has in his possession have no market value for him too. If there'd be a legal situation allowing him to release what he has, he'd have done so by now I suppose. But this way, everybody loses, and in a decade or two the demand for 70s/80s TD recordings will be close to zero, with the possible exception of the German Museum buying the stuff. Stupid really.

Here's an example of somebody caring about his own musical history and old analog master tapes in general:

rumour has it that Edgar actually the court case..but hey that's 'just' a rumour...or is it Chris? ;)
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Michael66 wrote:The crazy thing is that any tapes Franke has in his possession have no market value for him too. If there'd be a legal situation allowing him to release what he has, he'd have done so by now I suppose. But this way, everybody loses, and in a decade or two the demand for 70s/80s TD recordings will be close to zero, with the possible exception of the German Museum buying the stuff. Stupid really.

Thanks for the link - fascinating for a clapped out audiophile like me...
timer

Post by timer »

There were rumblings of a Franke TD release on Sonic Images about 12 yrs ago in the guise of Streethawk !.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

There was also a track on the old TD radio recorded live in 1980 that was going to be a part of a Vault release. Wonder what happened to that?