Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Stratosfear
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:01 am
Posts: 2459
Location: Iris & Linda's underwear draw
24db wrote:
Mick's going to love this one ;) I haven't corrected the journalist's slightly weird gramma (why should I they never correct mine ;)):

TANGERINE DREAM
Stratosfear
Virgin


THE important factors in electronic music are creativity and innovation. This the Tang’s umpteenth album has neither. Despite its sophisticated production and laborious construction it never emerges from the background.

Title track is repetitive. This can be used as a rhythmic background as solid base to build on but here is bland, Opens with Mellotron strings and runs through the range of standard sounds. Tempo heats up. You wait for the explosive climax, but it never comes.

Title The Big Sleep In Search Of Hades too appropriate. Features clichéd sci-fi sounds of space and emptiness complete with echoing heavenly choir and imitation in corporeal violin, Chris Franke then overlays flute, the effect, a bad Kung Fu movie without the violence—undramatic.

Second side better. Begins with best track 3 am At The Border Of The Marsh From Okefenokee. Played with more emotion than other tracks is good at communicating cold, damp feeling. Steaming bubbling noises back a distant depressing southern states harmonica. Final track Invisible Limits is an unhealthy musical mish-mash of elements of previous tracks. Over half a side long, this seems a waste of space.

Tangerine Dream have made stunning, daring albums in the past, This time they didn’t risk going too near the edge. Better pretentious than mundane.

Stephen Lavers. Popstar Weekly, April 21, 1979


Seems like yet another failed musician what a TOSSER

_________________
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
well it would be easier to understand if the same bloke hadn't done a glowing review of the band 'live' a few years earlier.

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:31 am
Posts: 2091
Location: Livadia (Central Greece)
Stratosfear = A classic electornic album. It marks the beginning of the band's evolution away from their uncompromising early 1970s synthesizer experiments toward a recognizably more melodic sound, a trend they would pick up again in 1979's Force Majeure. This album reached No.39 in the UK, in a 4-week chart run.

_________________
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Stratosfear two stars out of five:

"...With an expanding, technology-fed musical syntax filtering through, Stratosfear (1976) was nevertheless something of a lapse in previously sound taste, with increased use of sequenced geometric rhythmic shapes at the expense of textures and it was also the time a young Jean-Michel Jarre was began (sic) to take notes"

Paul Henderson, Q magazine


http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... anger.html

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
24db wrote:
Stratosfear two stars out of five:

"...With an expanding, technology-fed musical syntax filtering through, Stratosfear (1976) was nevertheless something of a lapse in previously sound taste, with increased use of sequenced geometric rhythmic shapes at the expense of textures and it was also the time a young Jean-Michel Jarre was began (sic) to take notes"

Paul Henderson, Q magazine


http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... anger.html


Surely that should be 5 out of 2!

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Stratosfear two stars out of five:

"...With an expanding, technology-fed musical syntax filtering through, Stratosfear (1976) was nevertheless something of a lapse in previously sound taste, with increased use of sequenced geometric rhythmic shapes at the expense of textures and it was also the time a young Jean-Michel Jarre was began (sic) to take notes"

Paul Henderson, Q magazine


http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... anger.html


Surely that should be 5 out of 2!


um...how can I put this ;) personally it would get a 4 out of 5 from me :D

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:20 pm
Posts: 86
Location: Arklow in Ireland or at next TD gig
Remember being a little disappointed after studio releases Rubycon and EF EIMP (I got hooked on that format style - one side / soft start/ seq/ soft finish). Similar position now with the Madcaps release. Prefer the Mason touches on S.

_________________
David Fox


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
akaihead wrote:
Remember being a little disappointed after studio releases Rubycon and EF EIMP (I got hooked on that format style - one side / soft start/ seq/ soft finish). Similar position now with the Madcaps release. Prefer the Mason touches on S.


Much as I loved the Phaedra/Rubycon approach, I preferred the direction taken by Ricochet/Stratosfear/Encore. I think this was because of the unpredictability of the tracks. I liked the fact, I didn't know where the music was going to take me. Strangely, I still feel like this, when I listen to these albums, despite knowing them very well.

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 am
Posts: 78
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
It reads like the reviewer didn't have time (or couldn't be arsed) to finish the review, so simply turned in the notes he'd written.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Lucan wrote:
It reads like the reviewer didn't have time (or couldn't be arsed) to finish the review, so simply turned in the notes he'd written.


sounds like quite a few reviews

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
For everyone who hasn't seen this yet:
Stratosfear Unplugged on Acoustic Guitar

Link is from a different forum, but I think Mr. José Bergeron also deserves a honourable mention here for keeping this true classic alive ...

Enjoy :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
Michael66 wrote:
For everyone who hasn't seen this yet:
Stratosfear Unplugged on Acoustic Guitar

Link is from a different forum, but I think Mr. José Bergeron also deserves a honourable mention here for keeping this true classic alive ...

Enjoy :-)


I did enjoy. Many thanks for the post! :D 8)

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
Hobo wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
For everyone who hasn't seen this yet:
Stratosfear Unplugged on Acoustic Guitar

Link is from a different forum, but I think Mr. José Bergeron also deserves a honourable mention here for keeping this true classic alive ...

Enjoy :-)


I did enjoy. Many thanks for the post! :D 8)

Agreed! It's great to see the visuals to this - a fantastic example of first rate transcribing.

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 7393
Location: Scotland
Eff me that is outstanding I wish I could even get a not out of my Guitar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:59 am
Posts: 2024
Location: staying home getting stiff
Oh yes - very enjoyable 8)

_________________
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage