How do you compare one album / track with another

HYPERBOREA
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

How do you compare one album / track with another

Post by HYPERBOREA »

I was looking at last years poll which I know doesn't really prove anything due to the many vagaries of voting but I am wondering how do people compare TD albums ?

If you compare two albums one of them may contain 50% of music you love and 50% music you are not so keen on which would give the album an overall score of average. If however an album contains music which is cosisitantly ok but nothing special that too would score as average.

So which one doyou prefer ? I would say the former album is better dispite attracting the same score.

Also two of my favourite albums are Ricochet and Joan Of Arc

I like all of Ricochet but its only just over half an hour long !

I like most of Joan of Arc but not all of it and the amount of it that I do like is much more than the duration of Ricochet so although Ricochet as an entity would score higher if I could only take one or the other to my Desert Island it would be Joan of Arc as their's more of it. !!

Confusing isn't it ? This is why I find it impossible to ever contribute to polls. Does anyone else suffer the same heartache ?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I must admit I love looking at poll results. But when it comes to submitting votes I find it hard.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

When I look upon a track, I regard it of how good it stand alone. Summer Storm is a masterpiece, but Oasis isn't. Summer In Nagasaki doesn't consist of perfect standout tracks, but as a whole the album is a masterpiece.

(It's really hard to answer the question)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

My appreciation of albums seems to differ from yours HYPERBOREA. Firstly an album containing 50% standout tracks and 50% rubbish would rate higher than an album full of so-so tracks. Mediocrity is not the path to greatness!

With regard to album length, I probably rate a short, brilliant album, higher than one with a longer duration of good tracks, but with some filler. (Using your album choices as an example, Ricochet would outscore JD'A).

That said, with an output as vast and diverse as TD's, the margins become very small and some comparisons are simply not possible. I therefore tend to shy away from polls.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

Usually nowadays I approach each new TD release with fresh ears, cos' you never know what you are going to experience - TD have taken some wonderfull and strange new directions in the last few years.

Lets all buckle up in the TD rollacoaster and see where messrs Froese and Quashening take us next.

:D
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
exit81

Post by exit81 »

I prefer the experimental 'hit and miss' approach TD have often adopted, as it springs up some wonderful, daring music that genuinely placed them at the leading edge of EM. It didn't always work, but I think you need that approach in order to sometimes break the mould of what has previously been established. When TD play it safe (which to be fair they haven't done very often) it can result in some quite bland music (I'm thinking the likes of Midwinter Night, which is test card music for me). But they've done nothing that bland for a long time now, and I feel that musically, 2007 is an exciting time to be a TD fan because they're coming up with all sorts of stuff!
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

exit81 wrote:I prefer the experimental 'hit and miss' approach TD have often adopted, as it springs up some wonderful, daring music that genuinely placed them at the leading edge of EM. It didn't always work, but I think you need that approach in order to sometimes break the mould of what has previously been established. When TD play it safe (which to be fair they haven't done very often) it can result in some quite bland music (I'm thinking the likes of Midwinter Night, which is test card music for me). But they've done nothing that bland for a long time now, and I feel that musically, 2007 is an exciting time to be a TD fan because they're coming up with all sorts of stuff!
They're definitely back in the groove and IMO this is due in large part to TQ. Whether it's a coincidence or not, EF appears to be having a lot of fun with his music, since Thorsten's arrival. So much so, that he is writing some of his most inspirational music for many years. Again IMO, there is a unity among the band that is plain for all to see. Long may it continue!
timer

Post by timer »

I don't think Thorsten is influencing EF at all at present! - the last 3 concert EPs have been all EF own work !.
24db

Post by 24db »

TD have come up with ideas seperately for years. As far back as the early 80's TD were would work out ideas or ways of recording in their own home studios and then and only then get together every month or a month and a half to show the others what they had come up with.
Edgar has described this as a nil sum, eveybody learns something and therefore 'hopefully' the balance within the group is maintained....of course that balance may have changed more recently...but Edgar 'in his own words' is currently Mr 51%. Btw that's a recent quote before somebody starts jumping up and down and shouting about the Virgin albums ;)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

timer wrote:I don't think Thorsten is influencing EF at all at present! - the last 3 concert EPs have been all EF own work !.
They may have EF's name on, but how much has Thorsten's arrival influenced Edgar's approach. As I said, it's only my opinion, but EF definitely has a smile on his face these days and there is a marked improvement in his compositions.
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

:D :D As I've said before Thorsten is only a 'guest' in the world of TD. There is obviously a ''creative chemistry' between him and Edgar, as is evident in recent TD releases. However, there hasn't been a static TD lineup for quite some time, and I wouldn't bank on Thorsten being around indefinitely. Although I might be wrong :?: :roll: :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

prophetfive wrote::D :D As I've said before Thorsten is only a 'guest' in the world of TD. There is obviously a ''creative chemistry' between him and Edgar, as is evident in recent TD releases. However, there hasn't been a static TD lineup for quite some time, and I wouldn't bank on Thorsten being around indefinitely. Although I might be wrong :?: :roll: :arrow:
It would be a shame if Thorsten left, he's a very gifted musician.
I was talking to Martin K recently and he told me one of the bands he plays in (1 of 4 I think) needed a drummer at very short notice, so they phoned Thorsten and he just turned up with his complete V-Drum Kit and played the gig.
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
prophetfive wrote::D :D As I've said before Thorsten is only a 'guest' in the world of TD. There is obviously a ''creative chemistry' between him and Edgar, as is evident in recent TD releases. However, there hasn't been a static TD lineup for quite some time, and I wouldn't bank on Thorsten being around indefinitely. Although I might be wrong :?: :roll: :arrow:
It would be a shame if Thorsten left, he's a very gifted musician.
I was talking to Martin K recently and he told me one of the bands he plays in (1 of 4 I think) needed a drummer at very short notice, so they phoned Thorsten and he just turned up with his complete V-Drum Kit and played the gig.
There's no doubting the man's got talent .