Cyclone

JD
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Cyclone

Post by JD »

I cant understand why this album is/was so unpopular ? I think its TDs best and best fitting use of vocals, and Joliffes woodwind solo's really add depth to the traditional TD sound of the era. A complete classic for me :)
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Rico

Post by Rico »

tangmaster will think it's Tangerine Dream's best as well.. :)

tis a very good album, no matter what the controversial vocals stand for. they don't stand for anything actually. they're dynamic and wee bit dramatic, but in all lines, the music speaks out.

sure music's got the more light(ning) sense, but that's the future of the Tangs' 80s period.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Great album,would have loved to have seen that 1978 tour :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

A masterpiece, I simply love the insane side of TD. In fact I like all sides of TD. No other band express all the emotions that people have, in the way TD does. That's why I stick to them, and hardly let any other type of music take over. 8)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

CYCLONE?

amazing LP, it has power ....(Mad rigal meridian.......), prog like side one is a very good listen....the vocals always were a challenge

lovely cover art.....
...The wise.....are silent.....
obiwankenomi

Post by obiwankenomi »

Nothing wrong with Cyclone. But unfortunatly a lot of fans just don't like vocals on TD's music. There is also a lot of critic on albums like Tyger and the Dante trilogy. I really love TD expirimenting with vocals. Hop for some more.

Obiwan
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Can you imagine everyone Hopping around the next gig for more vocals :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Vocals..I have no problems with TD and vocals....let look at some of the evidence

Electronic Meditation : TD's steam punk-krautrock meisterwork (a small amount of voice)

Atem: (WAHN) tribal music at its finest

Cyclone was TD's prog punk record - a genuine classic

Tyger: interesting experiment

DanTe trilogY: a mixed bag,heroic, dull, great and disappointing....worth the time and trouble

MadCaps Flaming Duty is the TD of the future....and I for one am excited

can I just mention the awesome, toweringly sombre but humorous TIMEZEIT here? no? thought not

CYCLONE:1978 it was a shock....thats why TD are the KINGS
JD

Post by JD »

bigmoog wrote:Vocals..I have no problems with TD and vocals....let look at some of the evidence

Electronic Meditation : TD's steam punk-krautrock meisterwork (a small amount of voice)

Atem: (WAHN) tribal music at its finest

Cyclone was TD's prog punk record - a genuine classic

Tyger: interesting experiment

DanTe trilogY: a mixed bag,heroic, dull, great and disappointing....worth the time and trouble

MadCaps Flaming Duty is the TD of the future....and I for one am excited

can I just mention the awesome, toweringly sombre but humorous TIMEZEIT here? no? thought not

CYCLONE:1978 it was a shock....thats why TD are the KINGS
I think the only reason the vocals let TD down on Tyger was the poor quality of the vocalist who couldn't keep in tune, plus I think 'smile' was written out of her range. MFD sounds like they use a quality vocalist mind you. I didnt like any of the Dante singers, it sounded like they were singing in their sleep :)
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

JD wrote:
I think the only reason the vocals let TD down on Tyger was the poor quality of the vocalist who couldn't keep in tune, plus I think 'smile' was written out of her range. MFD sounds like they use a quality vocalist mind you. I didnt like any of the Dante singers, it sounded like they were singing in their sleep :)
I agree with your opinion of Tyger. That's why the instrumental tracks work the best, for me.

But, there is some very good singing on Inferno and Purgatorio; some of the pop singing and all of Iris Camea's singing floats my boat.... it is so expressive and vibrant in its sensuality.

MFD will be an absolute cracker.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

it isnt just Iris's singing that floats my boat :arrow: :wink:
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

epsilon75 wrote:Great album,would have loved to have seen that 1978 tour :arrow:
I did and it was absolutely superb lasers and all
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

alipaul wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Great album,would have loved to have seen that 1978 tour :arrow:
I did and it was absolutely superb lasers and all

Good for you mate,an experience i would have paid good money for :wink:
tangmaster

Post by tangmaster »

Rico wrote:tangmaster will think it's Tangerine Dream's best as well.. :)

tis a very good album, no matter what the controversial vocals stand for. they don't stand for anything actually. they're dynamic and wee bit dramatic, but in all lines, the music speaks out.

sure music's got the more light(ning) sense, but that's the future of the Tangs' 80s period.
Yes and it still is the best one for me. :wink:
The way a world of dreams is going on!
DSJR

Re: Cyclone

Post by DSJR »

JD wrote:I cant understand why this album is/was so unpopular ? I think its TDs best and best fitting use of vocals, and Joliffes woodwind solo's really add depth to the traditional TD sound of the era. A complete classic for me :)
Cyclone shocked me on first hearing - buying at HMV Bond St and rushing back to work to play it...

The vocal tracks I really like, although the tempo on the first track is unfashionably slow nowadays. Rising Runner has an amazing sense of urgency to it and it's a favourite of the era. Madrigal Meridian just sounds a bit rushed to me (I suspect it was!) and comes across with the consistancy of lumpy gravy - sequences starting then abruptly stopping etc. It's not bad at all, but not one I play very often.

Looking back, I think Cyclone was a template for far future work - the rock band never really left Edgar I suspect - a detour into avenues to be further explored later......

Edgar said in an interview (thanks 24db) that it was a difficult time for them and the record company were calling for the next LP. A very brave effort/experiment which could have been even better I think.