Restored Faith?

NAVEL OF LIGHT
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Restored Faith?

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

ive been a td fan for years and purchase everything i can on release,(many thanks to the great folks at CDS!), And as hardened fan as i am, i think some of the latter TDi years were good but not moving on in any direction...

BUT NOW....
The Dream is back on form imho!
The Springtime & Summertime albums are out of this world! I even like MFD after sighing with discontent when i saw vocals mentioned. We as fans waited years for some live dvd's and we've been rewarded with 4 ! The Phaedra anniversary dvd is special for me a)cos im in it...lots! & 2) i remember when that curtain drew back and the 'whoooooo' from the audience at all the new(?) equipment!(the large monitors mainly)!

And how bloody good is the One Night In Space dvd? FANTASICH!!
Nice to see TD using sequencers again!

Now all this good stuff im putting down to one factor, the departure of Jerome!
Dont get me wrong, got nothing against JF...loved his contribution to TD and his solo stuff is pretty cool. But i think TD have improved since his departure!
Or could it all this goodness be associated with the arrival of TQ?

What you all think?
24db

Post by 24db »

Totally agree NOL, although I never thought TD had lost it's creativity, like you I think the latest stuff is brilliant, and that's not some rose tinted view of their current output either, as I'm really getting a lot out of their music (from about DM4 onwards in my case). It must be down to an injection of new blood (TQ) and the chance for a new direction that member leaving gives a group. I should add that I really liked Jerome's stuff, within TD and solo as well. One other thing that's a bit less obvious I think, is that Edgar seems a lot happier, thanks to Bianca...and that shines out in the music I think.
timer

Post by timer »

Welcome to the Forum Navel of Light - and a very good posting. 8)
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

thank you both for your replies.
Altho this is my first posting, i was a forum member many years ago.(when it first started actually!) but rarely felt compelled to write as much as i have lately.
Another interesting point actually with Bianca now at Edgars side, i read that EF would of had second thoughts bout the Divine Comedy series if he'd know the toll it would take on him. Obviously, getting the trilogy completed is also a great weight off Edgars shoulders.
In the interview i read he mentioned 'a former collegue playing devils advocate!'.
Mmmm...i wonder?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Ive never doubted Edgar's Froese ability and IMHO have had no cause to,the latest output has been absolutely superb,working together may have turned a little sour and perhaps a parting of the waves was good for both concerned.
I enjoyed the time JF was in the band and hopefully one day he will return, i thoroughly enjoy his solo stuff and wish him well in what ever he does in the future..

Edgar Froese has always been a huge favorite of mine,and listening to the recent output i cant see that changing one bit........... :arrow:

Welcome to the Forum Navel :wink:
Last edited by epsilon75 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
har

Post by har »

Greetings Navel of Light.

Agree the new Dream output is astounding :!:

I was concentrating on wearing out all my 70s + 80s dream stuff untill I heard about MFD which lead me to this place and all the fantastic new (for me) Dream music.

Spring and Summer have simply blown me away... Classics...Cant wait for the next installment/s

I think there has been a shift back towards some earlier styles blending with some amazing new directions.

Great Stuff.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

welcome to the forum N O L :wink:

the alchemical mystic power of TD music always draws the BM in :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
Nero

Post by Nero »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:thank you both for your replies.
Altho this is my first posting, i was a forum member many years ago.(when it first started actually!) but rarely felt compelled to write as much as i have lately.
Another interesting point actually with Bianca now at Edgars side, i read that EF would of had second thoughts bout the Divine Comedy series if he'd know the toll it would take on him. Obviously, getting the trilogy completed is also a great weight off Edgars shoulders.
In the interview i read he mentioned 'a former collegue playing devils advocate!'.
Mmmm...i wonder?
Unfortunately JF decided to start his solo career right after the Purgatorio release and left EF alone with Paradiso. Certainly EF didn't reckon with this kind of situation....which obviously reinforced the pressure on him to compose it on his own. Hats off!
I also think that the fact of JFs leaving led to new inspiration and creativity and maybe even more freedom for EF to decide what he wants to do.
The "same old story" between father and son was broken down and we, the fans, profit from this! More, please!
It's always a pity when bands split, but often it turns out to be something positive and new things can evolve - for both parts.
There is no doubt: The real TD is more than back!! 8)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Welcome NoL - good thread.

I agree that things have taken a massive turn for the better in recent years. This new One x One disc hasn't been out of the player for more than a few minutes since I received it. Personally, I think it's the best thing since Underwater Sunlight (and that's saying something).

There are many truths in what others have speculated about the causes, but I think the final truth will be a combination of many things:
The band had certainly been through a very sad personal spell in the nineties, and have clearly pulled through the other side;
Technology, as ever, has changed and I for one am very pleased to see hardware sequencers on stage once again;
Personnel has clearly changed and is bound to have an effect. I for one think there's a lot to be said when Edgar is collaborating with others. Sometimes, friction between members (not just in TD) can lead to the best results, and there was clearly a lot of magic in the classic three-person line-ups of the '70s and '80s.
Having said that, a lot of Edgar's solo stuff has been at least as good as the best TD IMHO, so that blows that one out of the water. :wink: :lol:
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Seems I became a TD fan at a very good time. All the new releases from 2007 that I have are superb. Will 2007 go down as a vintage year? Excellent post NoL. Welcome.
"Sydney till I Die"
homeless

Re: Restored Faith?

Post by homeless »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:The Dream is back on form imho!

The Springtime & Summertime albums are out of this world!......

& 2) i remember when that curtain drew back and the 'whoooooo' from the audience,.....

Now all this good stuff im putting down to one factor, the departure of Jerome! ......

Concur with all of the above....

Even 'I' heard myself mouthing 'whooooo' and I'm a cynical old git and
very hard to please sometimes.

Remember, when a door closes, another one will always open.

homeless
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

I’m done with my The Tangerine Dream Years.
Welcome too the Tangerine Dream Forum I hope you enjoy. :wink:

:!: :arrow:
hansx

Post by hansx »

Nero wrote:
NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:thank you both for your replies.
Mmmm...i wonder?
Unfortunately JF decided to start his solo career right after the Purgatorio release and left EF alone with Paradiso. Certainly EF didn't reckon with this kind of situation....which obviously reinforced the pressure on him to compose it on his own. Hats off!
I also think that the fact of JFs leaving led to new inspiration and creativity and maybe even more freedom for EF to decide what he wants to do.
The "same old story" between father and son was broken down and we, the fans, profit from this! More, please!
It's always a pity when bands split, but often it turns out to be something positive and new things can evolve - for both parts.
There is no doubt: The real TD is more than back!! 8)
It looks like. But I don't agree to the meaning that this is because JF is gone. TD made some very decent things during his TD career.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

IMHO i thought the EF/JF years were a bit 'the same' sounding Edgar as shattered this pretence with the superb & the sublime fair play to him loving every minute of the new stuff
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
hansx

Post by hansx »

alipaul wrote:IMHO i thought the EF/JF years were a bit 'the same' sounding Edgar as shattered this pretence with the superb & the sublime fair play to him loving every minute of the new stuff
Ask my wife what she thinks of TD now and in the past. :lol: