Your recommendations

Mac cuber transfer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Your recommendations

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

OK who's for a spot of TD evangelism?

As a long time fan recently lapsed which of the recent batch of TD releases would you recommend that I give a listen to or buy. I've heard many positive comments regarding the latest batch of releases but which one do you think would appeal to a long time fan such as me.

To give you a clue as to my tastes, I tend to like tracks to develop over time Tangram, White Eagle, ricochet etc. rather than lots of short tracks, although that in itself is not THE overiding consideration as I'm very fond of albums like Le Park and Exit.

So which of the post Inferno recordings have impressed you and which would you recommend to a lapsed fan like me?

(I'm out for the rest of the afternoon but will catch up later)

All the best

the cube
har

Post by har »

hi cube

I am catching up like yourself

Check out the downloading the dream thread for some great recommendations from the guys.

Spring, Summer, Bells of Accra, Sleeping Watches, are just what you are after imo 8)
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Everyones opinion here is going to differ but thats what makes the world go round and with so many to choose from .....
BUT if its stuff after The Divine Comedy your after i recommend:in no order
SPRINGTIME IN NAGASAKI
SUMMER IN NAGASAKI
JEANE D'ARC
METAPHOR
BELLS OF ACCRA

The first two on that list are essential!
The best TD works in ages imho.

On the dvd front, the One Night In Space dvd is a cracker!

Hope this helps.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Hi Mac! :)
For a long track (>79 min), I'd recommend Jeanne D'Arc. For me, that recording is when TD got their "panoramic" feel back.

For short tracks, try One Times One. Contains partly new versions of tracks already well-known, but they "make sense" in their new context. Also there's lots of subtle sequencer patterns.
Booster would be a recommendation too. It collects their latest EP's, and if you don't know the track "Sleeping Watches Snoring in Silence", it's worth for that track alone. And the sound quality is fantastic.

I like Springtime and Summer in Nagasaki also a lot, but would recommend a pre-listen ... or try the samples in TD's download shop (I just noticed they offer both seasons for 8.90 € each).
timer

Post by timer »

Id have to say Jean D Arc is an essential purchase - a very highly regarded recording by a lot of TD fans here.

But really anything post Inferno has been spot on musically - I for one aren't too impressed with Purgatorio and Paradiso - but that's my preference ! .

Good luck with your next TD find ! :)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I would Definitely go for JDA,its a very good album IMHO and a must have purchase.

Purgatorio is my favorite from the Dante series but may be worth a listen before you purchase.

The new material has been the best for some time and comes highly recommended to all 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Michael66 wrote:Hi Mac! :)
For a long track (>79 min), I'd recommend Jeanne D'Arc. For me, that recording is when TD got their "panoramic" feel back.

For short tracks, try One Times One. Contains partly new versions of tracks already well-known, but they "make sense" in their new context. Also there's lots of subtle sequencer patterns.
Booster would be a recommendation too. It collects their latest EP's, and if you don't know the track "Sleeping Watches Snoring in Silence", it's worth for that track alone. And the sound quality is fantastic.

I like Springtime and Summer in Nagasaki also a lot, but would recommend a pre-listen ... or try the samples in TD's download shop (I just noticed they offer both seasons for 8.90 € each).
I'd second this recommendation. The Booster double is a good summary of a lot of the best recent releases, and One times One is my favourite TD release since Underwater Sunlight.

Longer tracks are still lacking, but the more recent releases are better structured and have more interesting soundscapes and sequences IMHO.

I would also strongly recommend Jean D'Arc too, and love Edgar's solo Dalinetopia.

(PS - Cube: you woudn't be Colin from the forum before last would you? :wink: )
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

Summer in nagasaki should be on your list and Bells of Accra is an absolute stunner. I didn't get one times one for Christmas so hopefully the download version should be out soon!!
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

You couldn't go wrong with Booster and OTO.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

I agree with that, booster is a great showcase of the latest TD and for anyone who didn`t pick up the concert EPs it really is vital music to have.

I actually noticed that two of my fave tracks from Metaphor were composed by Quaeschning. never realised that before :shock: . good work :D
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

I downloaded Tangere Scales shortly after I started listening to TD and I still listen to it every day....superb sound quality and some great songs.
"Sydney till I Die"
Mac cuber transfer

Post by Mac cuber transfer »

Thanks everyone

Lots of varied opinions but some consistent pointers. I'm torn between Summer in Nagesaki, booster and a reassessment of JDA. Maybe I need to purchase more than one to get a better feel anyway. I'll let you know what I decide shortly.

Take care

The Cube
HYPERBOREA

Post by HYPERBOREA »

I think the best thing you could do is buy the lot (in the fullness of time) There are essential bits on all the albums

I know what you mean about longer tracks but you can just pretend each track is a short piece of a long track
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

The nice thing about the "Atomic Seasons" series is that, even though there are individual track titles, they all flow together as if they were a single composition -- much like those of the 1970s. That's probably why I'm playing Summer in Nagasaki to death. I find it to be TD's very best work in years.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

rotwang wrote:The nice thing about the "Atomic Seasons" series is that, even though there are individual track titles, they all flow together as if they were a single composition -- much like those of the 1970s. That's probably why I'm playing Summer in Nagasaki to death. I find it to be TD's very best work in years.
That's exactly what I was thinking.