Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1975

NAVEL OF LIGHT
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1975

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

Is this one of the most classic live TD recordings EVER!
First heard this years back on the 'Coeffecient Of Aural Expansion' set and then The Bootleg Box but its fantastic!

Wonder why this never got a proper release in a glorious colour sleeve with pics etc. It was TDs Heyday & a beautiful venue, acousticaly & structually.

And what great music...the sequencers & impovisation.
timer

Re: Live At The Royal Albert Hall 1975

Post by timer »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:Is this one of the most classic live TD recordings EVER!
First heard this years back on the 'Coeffecient Of Aural Expansion' set and then The Bootleg Box but its fantastic!

Wonder why this never got a proper release in a glorious colour sleeve with pics etc. It was TDs Heyday & a beautiful venue, acousticaly & structually.

couldnt agree more NOL - probably didn't get a release at the time due to ricochet being released . :(
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

There is not a concert in any musical genre that has held my attention like this superb classic show,IMHO its their greatest ever show and my undoubted all time favorite,an electronic master class 8) i wish i could have been there :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

probably because the first half went so badly (they had real problems with the equipment that night), they never gelled with Michael so perhaps they thought that it didn't show them at their best (in their opinion)?
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Im may be in their opinion but it will never be mine......... :wink:
Ive never been so engrossed in a live recording in my life 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

I hope you have the right disc from BB vol 1, as the first issue has a track missing
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:

I hope you have the right disc from BB vol 1, as the first issue has a track missing
A lengthy encore missing on the 1st pressings :(
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

24db wrote:

YES, I do have the FULL Version . I remember reading bout the track missing from the original pressings of the bootleg box. Again, those lovely folk at CDS, Dundee came to the rescue.
Actually elaborating on my initial thread, wouldnt the Bootleg Box been nice if it had had a more TDI style release?

Are there any more of the Bootmoon series on the way?
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

The next bootmoon was to be Reims 1974...it was supposed to be Cologne 73 I think..If they do release the Reims one if you don't already have it in some form buy it. IMO it is a beautiful clean and inspired performance. I already own it on a Boot. And the quality is superb.

My copy of the BB was one with the track missing. I rang up sanctuary quite a while later and within 5 days had a replacemet disc. They are a good label with many diverse artists on their books. Sadly though they aren't doing that well at the moment.
24db

Post by 24db »

24db wrote:

probably because the first half went so badly (they had real problems with the equipment that night), they never gelled with Michael so perhaps they thought that it didn't show them at their best (in their opinion)?
I'll be adding a few interviews with Michael Hoenig soon, which might add some light on why he left.

Here's a list of TD's stage equipment (as it's so popular :) :D):

Edgar Froese:
Mark V (double Keyboard) Mellotron
M400 Mellotron
Farfisa Piano
Farfisa Organ (400, double keyboard)
EMS VCS3 synthesiser (with keyboard and Sequencer)
ITA Mixer (10 into 4 channels)
2 X 200W Marantz Amps
4 X Expo speakers
Phaser (Compact A Phaser) made by Gert Schulte Audio Elektronik.
Revox Echo machine (with Dolby noise reduction)

Chris Franke:
2 X Moog 3P modular system (plus 960 sequencers)
MiniMoog synthesiser
EMS Synthi A synthesiser
EMS 'QUEG' Quadrophonic Effects generator
Elka Rhapsody 610 String Synthesiser
Farfisa Organ
Revox A77 echo machine
Computer controlled Rhythm programmer (Eko Computer-rhythm?)
TFE mixer (16 into 4 channels)
4 X K+H 200W slave Amps
4 X Altec Lansing A7-500 speakers

Michael Hoenig
Yamaha YC45D organ
2 X Custom modified MiniMoogs with additional control inputs
960 Moog sequential controller (sequencer)
Custom Modified EMS Synthi A (with keyboard)
Modified ITA mixer (10 into 4 channels)
Modified Revox A77 echo unit, with variable speed control (with Dolby noise reduction)
Compact Phasing A, Phaser (made by Gert Schulte of Audio Elektronik)
David Gale

Post by David Gale »

I've got to agree with NOL that this is an awesome concert. I suspect that if I was allowed one visit in a time machine to a TD concert this would be the one. Having found TD via Rubycon in 1976 ( a friend's dad bought it for him because he thought the cover was nice!) the RAH concert is just so evocative of that age's music.
I was interested in your comments, Andy, about the first half (all 68 minutes of it!) I admit that it is quite abstract in places but I never got a sense of conflict or difficulty. Of course I wasn't playing or watching (nor indeed know anything about the ambience of the night). Did the group say anything about this or is this a sense noted by people who saw the concert or something that more musical people than I (which is nearly 100% of the world's population) feel?
Slightly off topic but something that has been nagging at me for some time. I've noticed the humble Minimoog turning up on numerous occasions in equipment listings and it can clearly be seen in Chris Franke's setup in the picture from RAH. (and in Andy's list). Why then did it never feature in any of the equipment lsitings on the albums? The 70s was the time when every prog group listed every patch lead in exhaustive detail on their album covers and TD were no exception. was it that the Moog Modular and VCS3 (and derivatives) were more arty while the Minimoog was considered just a workaday keyboard? I notice that Pink Floyd did exactly the same on DSOTM and WYWH where the VCS3 is given numerous mentions while the Minimoog which is clearly in evidence is uncredited? Bit of a nerdy question I know but I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts.

Post by 24db »

David

TD are on record (although I can't be sure where I read it) that something went wrong with the first piece...I've read it...honest ;)

a bit more on the RAH gig, just in case you haven't read it before:

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... -1975.html

the Minimoog? hmmm I'd have to go back and have a look where it was listed on an album, but live I'd say it was used on many tours

andy
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Being familiar with RAH '75 and having been present on the night, I too can't really see what went wrong in the first piece. Possibly some of the sequencer patterns are not in intended sync but with Michael Hoenig's propensity for adventurous odd number sequencer patterns, it's no surprise. Certainly the band made no mention of anything going wrong in the post-gig Radio London interview.

However, the glorious second piece more than makes up for any technical or musical failings of the first. TDs finest 40 minutes. Definately my 'Desert Island Disc'.

What makes RAH '75 so special is that it's the only decent official recording of TD at the height of their anologue/improvisational powers.
I can't think of another TD live album that isn't either edited, doctored, pre-programmed material or a studio creation. RAH '75 is none of these.

Re: Mini Moog live. Apart from Schmoelling's wonderful solos in '80 and '81, and a solo Edgar played on the 'Logos' tour, I'm not aware of much use of it. Chris Franke appeared not to use his at all when I saw them, except possibly for white noise.
24db

Post by 24db »

Johannes also dusted it off for their 1983 tour of Poland...I wonder how the Minimoog behaves in cold weather? ;)

Edgar had one during the 1982 tour and 'perhaps' in Japan in '83

In 1996, the Minimoog is listed on TD's studio equipment list but now with tuning stabilisation

Meanwhile back in the studio TD used it on MFD :)
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I wonder whether the Minimoog was being used only to trigger or control other equipment?
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!