Sorcerer: Rumour?

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:widescreen would be good peter.....

as I always say, the film is ok, the original far better....but the tangsoundtrack, is as ever, one of the finest pieces of 1970's electronic music; eerie, gothic, weird and beautifully focussed
Whisper...Keith Jarrett is better on this OST ;)
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

24db wrote:
SydneyFC wrote:I have never seen this film but I will certainly get it if it comes out on DVD
you check out the original 'the Wages of Fear'...one of my all time favourite films

Didn't know this. Will keep an eye out for it. Thanks 24db
"Sydney till I Die"
24db

Post by 24db »

SydneyFC wrote:
24db wrote:
SydneyFC wrote:I have never seen this film but I will certainly get it if it comes out on DVD
you check out the original 'the Wages of Fear'...one of my all time favourite films

if you have a multi-region DVD player watch out for the region 1 (USA) Criterion version of the film, they've done a stunning restoration of the film, a classic from the 50's from Henri George Clouzot (sp?)
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

24db wrote:
SydneyFC wrote:
24db wrote: you check out the original 'the Wages of Fear'...one of my all time favourite films

if you have a multi-region DVD player watch out for the region 1 (USA) Criterion version of the film, they've done a stunning restoration of the film, a classic from the 50's from Henri George Clouzot (sp?)
Thanks for the tip will check this out :idea:
"Sydney till I Die"
24db

Post by 24db »

exit81

Post by exit81 »

Cheers for the info Andy....for some reason I've still never got around to seeing this either. Let's hope they use the longer cut. I'll be buying it for sure, especially if there's an isolated score with bits of unreleased score in there!

As for widescreen..well, it all depends if it was shot in widescreen (I don't know if it was or not) I don't think The Exorcist was filmed in 16:9, bit it'd be nice if Sorcerer was in 2.35:1 as I think landscapes always look more cinematic in narrow widescreen.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

just like to pay my respects here to the star of 'SORCERER' as well as his more famous roll as Chief Brody in 'JAWS', ROY SCHEIDER who died today after a battle against cancer.
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

Scheider was also very good as a self-destructive, booze-swilling, pill-popping, womanizing director in "All That Jazz." I especially love his duet with Ben Vereen in the film's finale. Absolutely terrific! I, for one, am going to miss him.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
David Ryle

Post by David Ryle »

Yea, I was sad to read of Scheider's death today. He is one of my favorites. Sorcerer was one of three of the favorite TD soundtracks for me. The music in this film was especially important because the film was edited FOR the music, not the other way around. A haunting and deeply satisfying film. The tension built up in this film became very real and couldn't have happened without the other-wordly soundtrack.

The other two films I like are Legend and Wavelength. The soundtracks are classic 80's stuff by TD, although Ridley Scott has said some pretty crappy things about the Legend soundtrack, I think it worked on many levels very well. Another favorite is The Keep, but that is a seperate topic.

Another great soundtrack and exceptional film is Thief with James Caan. The end scene is wonderful with Edgar's guitar.

-David
Two glasses Australian Shiraz, roaring fireplace, my Linda in arms and Rubycon on the player = BLISS
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

David Ryle wrote:Another great soundtrack and exceptional film is Thief with James Caan. The end scene is wonderful with Edgar's guitar.
The ending scene is extremely good, I love that track, but it's not TD. It's Craig Safaan and his track "Confrontation"
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

rotwang wrote:Scheider was also very good as a self-destructive, booze-swilling, pill-popping, womanizing director in "All That Jazz." I especially love his duet with Ben Vereen in the film's finale. Absolutely terrific! I, for one, am going to miss him.
I have all That Jazz on dvd but still haven't watched it. I loved Jaws way back when I was a lad but having watched it recently it hasn't dated well. I have a mate who is a Jaws fanatic and has spent thousands on Jaws memorabillia. He is quite upset about Roy's passing.

I do hope we see a release of Sorcerer as I haven't seen it. The soundtrack isn't one of my faves but I would like to see how it goes with the movie.
exit81

Post by exit81 »

woah...really saddened to hear of Roy Scheider's death, he was one of the actors I kind of grew up watching....he was never A list, but everyone knew who he was and you were always guaranteed a damn good performance from him. Great CV too. Another of the old school gone.
David Ryle

Post by David Ryle »

Pertou wrote:
David Ryle wrote:Another great soundtrack and exceptional film is Thief with James Caan. The end scene is wonderful with Edgar's guitar.
The ending scene is extremely good, I love that track, but it's not TD. It's Craig Safaan and his track "Confrontation"
:oops:
Well that's it... now I can no longer enjoy TD. Busted my bubble.

...Naw!
Two glasses Australian Shiraz, roaring fireplace, my Linda in arms and Rubycon on the player = BLISS
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

I'm confused by this statement from the Friedkin interview:
Friedkin says through DVD audiences have been able to re-visit or ‘discover’ his films. The DVD of “Sorcerer” is due out here next year. “We made a new DVD. But this release is not for that.
What exactly does that mean? Is there already a version of Sorcerer on DVD? Is the one "due out next year" the director's cut, or is that to come later? :?
manticore

Post by manticore »

the last time i saw sorcerer in the mid 80s(bbc2 maybe?)it was using the wages of fear title.i remember being puzzeld when i got the soundtrack lp in a record fair and not understanding why it was called sorcerer.
dont get your trossachs caught in your sporran