Symbolism in Edgar's artwork

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Symbolism in Edgar's artwork

Post by 24db »

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... olism.html

Probably way off the mark, but I thought it might be funny to have a go anyway ;)
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

I find Edgar's "symbolic artwork" nice to look at, but often frustratingly difficult to understand or decode. On covers like Dalinetopia, Dream Roots Collection or Orange Light Years (all the collage covers), there's just too much going on for my taste, too much possible layers of meaning, which I find discouraging from the outset. The OTO cover was more fun, and I hope there'll be more artwork in a similar vein. :-)
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:I find Edgar's "symbolic artwork" nice to look at, but often frustratingly difficult to understand or decode. On covers like Dalinetopia, Dream Roots Collection or Orange Light Years (all the collage covers), there's just too much going on for my taste, too much possible layers of meaning, which I find discouraging from the outset. The OTO cover was more fun, and I hope there'll be more artwork in a similar vein. :-)
I see...and the meaning of the Exit album cover is Michael? (it's a nice simple design mate)
Last edited by 24db on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

I've been a scientist all my working life and find it impossible to think in the abstract. I guess that Edgar's artwork will always be lost on me so I admire people who can decipher it.

Having said that, I do like most of the album covers. There's just something very pleasing to the eye about them.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

24db wrote:lI see...and the meaning of the Exit album cover is Michael? (it's a nice simple design mate)
Oh I dunno... it's possibly a meditation on how to make two spots looking very mysterious with minimum effort. :P :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:lI see...and the meaning of the Exit album cover is Michael? (it's a nice simple design mate)
Oh I dunno... it's possibly a meditation on how to make two spots looking very mysterious with minimum effort. :P :wink:
my god you got it first time! ;)
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Chris Monk wrote:I've been a scientist all my working life and find it impossible to think in the abstract.
Ok I may be totally, embarrassingly, utterly wrong but... the thing about the OTO cover is that it may be partly very scientific, not abstract. :) As far as I interpret it, it shows a winter solstice in two ways, scientifically and traditionally:

Here's a scientific daylight (sun hours) diagram over the course of one year. And here's the same curve, copied left and right for showing several years. Around the area where the "sun wheel" and the daylight curve meet on the cover, Edgar seems to have "capped" the curve. I've no idea why, but doing the same with the daylight curve linked above, we get this. Looks pretty much the same as the upper part of the red curve on the OTO cover to me.
Remembering that One Times One was (kind of) a Christmas release, here are two links that are interesting regarding the traditional/mystical part of the cover: Link 1, Link 2. Just look at the explanation for "Yule" at Link 2 - I've no idea what the Ravenwood church is about, they just had the nicest sun wheel. :)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

michael, have you ever read the 'orion mystery' by adrian gilbert?

we all see meaning or cyphers in random alignments :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:michael, have you ever read the 'orion mystery' by adrian gilbert?

we all see meaning or cyphers in random alignments :arrow:
good book that...or utter nonsense....discuss!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

i also recommend the 'sirius mystery' by robert temple.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:i also recommend the 'sirius mystery' by robert temple.....
you can't be Sirius?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

lol

surely you know the book?
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:lol

surely you know the book?
I bailed out after the first one and went back to Stephen Jay Gould
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

bigmoog wrote:we all see meaning or cyphers in random alignments :arrow:
Random or not random, that is the question... :wink:
It's just the whole "winter solstice" thing fits perfectly to the "sun king"/Echnaton theme discussed in the OTO thread. Keeping that in mind, it may not be that random. But on the other hand, it might. 8)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Michael66 wrote:
bigmoog wrote:we all see meaning or cyphers in random alignments :arrow:
Random or not random, that is the question... :wink:
It's just the whole "winter solstice" thing fits perfectly to the "sun king"/Echnaton theme discussed in the OTO thread. Keeping that in mind, it may not be that random. But on the other hand, it might. 8)

randomness is a description of the indescribable, but in reality nothing is truly random, unless we can predict the event

er, bm needs to realign his brain...back soon :arrow: